Wolf Howls at Auroral Lights
I was going through old email when I came across this image of a wolf howling at auroral lights. The person who sent it to me wondered whether or not it's real. A photographer would have to be pretty lucky to catch a scene like that, but that doesn't mean the picture isn't real. My guess would be that it's a composite image... that the images of the sky and the wolf were pasted together for dramatic effect. But that's only a guess.
image
AnimalsPhotos/Videos
Posted by The Curator on Tue Nov 09, 2004 Comments (14)
I'm pretty sure this is an illustration from a sci-fi story (that I have around here somewhere.) The long exposure needed to have the stars show up would result in no wolf and a blur from the motion of the aurora.
Posted by Don  in  PA  on  Tue Nov 09, 2004  at  02:28 AM
In a long exposure, the stars would leave trails.
Posted by Captain Al  on  Tue Nov 09, 2004  at  03:30 AM
I do not completely agree with Don's reasoning, having photographed aurora's myself. With a high sensitivity film, an exposure of 30-40 seconds captures both stars and aurora, with the 'curtain' effect in the aurora still present. No problem here.

However: with such an exposure, the wolf would get blurred, as I don't think a wolf would freeze in howling attitude for such a long time. The wolf just is too sharp, suggesting a very short exposure, which doesn't match the auroral image.

So yes: I do think this is two images combined.
Posted by Marco Langbroek  on  Tue Nov 09, 2004  at  09:18 AM
I agree, it looks like an artist's rendering.
Posted by Maegan  in  Tampa, FL - USA  on  Tue Nov 09, 2004  at  10:02 AM
It's really beautiful... but I highly doubt it's just one photo. That amount of clarity would definitely require either Photoshopping or putting two pictures together.
Posted by Mewtaila  on  Tue Nov 09, 2004  at  08:25 PM
Here's a picture of an aurora that was pasted behind wolves - http://www.tigerden.com/~orcabork/aurora.html

and here's a painting - http://www.pollux.free-online.co.uk/Pages/skywolf.html

I think this is a painting, and that I have it on a book cover.
Posted by Don  in  PA  on  Tue Nov 09, 2004  at  08:43 PM
New Poster - Hi, guys!
Agreed with all six postings, so far. Picture sure is well done, tho. Hum-m-m, photography spliced onto artist's rendition of concept? Must be something new; have to check into this one - maybe some money in it. - stork
Posted by stork  in  the spiracles of space  on  Tue Nov 09, 2004  at  10:40 PM
Oh, and Alex - Thanks for the tips! Love the Museum.
Posted by stork  in  the spiracles of space  on  Tue Nov 09, 2004  at  10:44 PM
I, also, am pretty sure this is a composite. You don't see the Aurora so clearly unless the sky is really dark-- which would make it pretty tough to get the picture of the wolf.
Posted by Big Gary C  in  Dallas, Texas  on  Fri Nov 12, 2004  at  09:11 PM
Go to webshots.com and you can see many combos of the wolf with various backgrounds. He can stand on either the left or the right side of the picture.
Posted by Firedewd  on  Fri Nov 19, 2004  at  12:52 AM
I've seen the Northern Lights thousands of times, in many different parts of Canada, and I've never seen them electric blue. Also, when I tried photographing them, they came out resembling a faint fog. I live in a relatively isolated area, and I've never seen a wolf, no matter how hard I've looked. I bet my life that pics a phony. A really nice one, but still a phony.
Posted by Dia  in  AB  on  Sun Nov 21, 2004  at  02:06 AM
it looks a lot like poster to me. i think they took a picture of an aurora and used photoshop to add the wolf. smirk
Posted by Carmen  on  Thu Jan 06, 2005  at  12:03 AM
This was done with "Bryce 3D" It's amazing some of the digital pictures you can do with that program. This is digital artwork.
So...it's not a fake. It's just software rendered artwork.
You can find similiar work at http://www.digitalblasphemy.com
Posted by Gary  on  Wed Feb 16, 2005  at  02:10 PM
Its a composite, The wolf and foreground/background are all part of a seperete picture that was cut and blacked out. I have the image of the wolf in a forest on my computer.
Posted by Steven  on  Tue Nov 04, 2008  at  06:23 PM
Commenting is not available in this channel entry.