‘Who Wants To Die’ Talking Elmo
Status: Either a prank or a manufacturing defect
image When Angela Bolls bought an interactive Elmo book for her young daughter, Miranda, she had no idea what she would be exposing her daughter to:

Family members said 16-month-old Miranda Boll's new book, "Potty Time With Elmo," was supposed to teach an interactive lesson using voice commands. However, when the book's buttons are pressed, it reportedly says something it is not supposed to -- "who wants to die?" ... Bolls said she checked another copy of the same book and found that it says something completely different; "Who wants to try to go potty?" The company that makes the book said it has had several complaints concerning the book, according to the report.

So I guess some prankster with a dark sense of humor has been tampering with the potty-training books. That, or the books are satanically possessed. I actually don't think the mother should be complaining too much. That book could be worth a fortune on eBay.
Categories: DeathPranks
Posted by The Curator on Tue Jan 03, 2006
My name is Talky Tina, and I don't like imposters...
Posted by The Real Deal  in  Australia  on  Wed Jan 04, 2006  at  11:33 AM
I vote for demonic possession.
Posted by Big Gary in North America  in  Dallas, Texas  on  Wed Jan 04, 2006  at  02:08 PM
It seems Elmo could be worth a lot of money...
Posted by Owen  on  Thu Jan 05, 2006  at  12:18 PM
I'm leaning towards Maegan's answer on this one. I collect books like those, and they do play interesting sounds when the batteries run dry. Those books do sometimes arrive at bookstores with already weak batteries (or it would be abused in bookstores enough to have the batteries grow weak by the time someone pick it up). If they picked it up on eBay, chances are it would be played with enough to have a weak battery too.
Posted by RAMChYLD  in  Klang, Malaysia  on  Thu Jan 05, 2006  at  12:46 PM
Would be very funny if it's true.
Posted by Sports Bettor  on  Thu Jan 05, 2006  at  02:27 PM
I used to have a kiddie cd player thing that would say over and over when there was no disk, "please insert disk." When the batteries ran down, it said "please insert piss."
Posted by Lady Hedoniste  in  Chilling with 14 other tiny people in your head.  on  Thu Jan 05, 2006  at  11:08 PM

great gift! haha
Posted by MegaMan  in  USA  on  Fri Jan 06, 2006  at  09:11 AM
Here is a link for the book for sale on ebay!!
Can you believe that people are going crazy for it!!!
Posted by Elmo Die  in  Oklahoma  on  Sun Jan 08, 2006  at  03:53 AM
Posted by Elmo Die  on  Sun Jan 08, 2006  at  03:54 AM
It reminds me of this legend:
Posted by Boo  in  The Land of the Haggii...  on  Sun Jan 08, 2006  at  09:18 PM
Its not fake you morons

Copy the link its an mp3 of what it says

My nephew had it before they brought it back to the store
Posted by Acdc  on  Tue Jan 10, 2006  at  04:04 AM
Sorry here..........

Posted by Acdc  on  Tue Jan 10, 2006  at  04:05 AM

The button in question is supposed to be pressed whenever the child sees a picture of Elmo's little doll, 'Baby David' in the text of the book.

It's pressed in the following context:

Text "Do you have to use the potty, Baby David?"
Sound "Uh Oh, Who has to go?"
Text: "You do? Let's go!"

This woman is just looking for a lawsuit.
Posted by Dave  on  Fri Jan 13, 2006  at  11:22 AM
It reminds me of the weird al song, 'furby prank call'. I find it a bit funny, is that twisted?
Posted by Dracul  on  Sun Jan 15, 2006  at  01:38 PM
My son had a possessed "Tickle Me Elmo." He would start giggling when no one was near him. It had new batteries so I know it wasn't almost dead batteries. We ended up putting it in a closet and giving it away later.
Posted by Possessed Elmo  on  Thu Jan 19, 2006  at  05:33 PM
I work for the company that produced this. This was a manufacturing error. Somehow the sound file was compressed. The reason all of the books don't say the same thing is because the problem was caught, but then the printer mistakenly distributed some of the defective books. I have one sitting on my desk, and I think it's hilarious...
Posted by J  on  Fri Jan 27, 2006  at  03:35 PM
We've got the book and I can tell you it is not weak batteries, all the other keys work fine. It is entirely obvious that some employee somewhere along the line is playing a prank.
Posted by Paul  on  Sat Jan 28, 2006  at  11:45 AM
On review it does clearly sound like "who has to go" when you are listening for those words. You can listen to it repeatedly and clearly hear EITHER phrase depending on what you are expecting. Interesting. On other sites the correct books seem to say "who wants to try to go potty", was this what "who has to go" was changed to so there would be no remote way of getting to "who wants to die"?
Why can't the makers just tell us what was the text supposed to be? Not sure what error and comprimised really means.
Posted by Paul  on  Sat Jan 28, 2006  at  12:13 PM
If you're refering to J's comment, he didn't say "compromised." He said "compressed," if that helps.
Posted by dave  on  Sun Jan 29, 2006  at  08:14 AM
this kinda reminds me of a story in the news where one of those teletubbie dolls (the big purple one) said something like "I got a gun"

Hey lets go shoot mommy!
Posted by Eva  in  New york  on  Fri Feb 24, 2006  at  06:34 PM
: this kinda reminds me of a story in the news
: where one of those teletubbie dolls (the big
: purple one) said something like "I got a gun"
If I'm not mistaken, it's the red one, and he said something along the lines of "f****t" and "b**e my b**t"(also sounds like "I got a gun").
Posted by RAMChYLD  in  Malaysia  on  Tue Dec 12, 2006  at  02:33 AM
I'm not sure if it was a purple one but I do know it was a tellitubby....
Posted by Eva  in  New York  on  Tue Dec 12, 2006  at  04:15 PM
The doll of Tinky Winky (the purple Tellytubby) sounded like a pervert even when his sound files weren't messed up.
Posted by Nona  in  London  on  Thu Feb 22, 2007  at  08:10 AM
"You folks are all speculating on this thing without having seen the book. I have the book. Every other button works fine so it's not the battery. And it's certainly not the word 'try' with the end of the sentence cut off. It took us a little time to figure out what it said, but if you look at the context of the sound within the text of the book, then you'll realize that this woman is just over reacting and the recording is actually saying, "Uh Oh, who has to go?" but of course, Elmo, not having teeth or a tongue and a bunch of fur surrounding his mouth has never been known for good pronounciation, so it's just hard to understand."

It seems like snotty, quoted above, is speculatin' just to speculate, thinkin' he's the master and stuff just because he has the book. Last year, when this happened, I rode my bike to four Border's until I found one of the "defective" books. It definitely says "Oh, oh, who want's to die!" People thought I was a nut, going through rows of Elmo Potty books, frantically. I found the golden one, and clutched it all the way to the cashier. Okay, I am a nut.

Anyway, the reality was on the news. A programmer bought a bunch of Potty Time with Elmo books, reprogammed them to say "Who wants to die?" and then sent them all back to Borders. It's actually funny as hell. I have mine sitting here on my desk and it entertains all my office visitors.
Posted by Arva  in  D.C.  on  Fri Feb 23, 2007  at  02:01 PM
Ok this last guy is sorta off his rock...
I bought no less than 6 of these books from different wal-marts. Each one had the lovely phrase "who wants to die". This was not the work of some super cool hacker that bought a bunch of books at borders and then returned em reprogramed. I mean come on please does this even sound believable?
Erik
Posted by Erik  in  ok  on  Fri Feb 23, 2007  at  02:16 PM
I'm nuts? You bought four of 'em, dork. Look it was in the news, when the manufacturer was notifed. This was January, 2006. Google it or something. That was the press release that the manufacturer, Publications International Ltd, released. If you don't believe me, call them and get off my johnson.

If you found and bought four, maybe your dork ass should have played the lottery that day instead.
Posted by Arva  in  DC  on  Fri Feb 23, 2007  at  02:36 PM
Oh, I'm sorry. SIX of them. My bad.
Posted by Arva  in  DC  on  Fri Feb 23, 2007  at  02:37 PM
Yes I bought 6 of them.. and did what any good american would do... Sold them to idiots on ebay. I purchased em for 6 dollars and sold them for 50-90 dollars each.
Thats right I'm the moron..
Erik
Posted by Erik  in  OK  on  Sun Feb 25, 2007  at  12:34 PM
My husband and I purchased a potty time with elmo book from wal mart back in september of 2005. I never was sure exactley what that thing said but I knew it didn't sound right. It wasn't until it was on the news in 2006 that I realized I had one of those defected books. I played it over and over letting friends and family hear it. I just honestly don't understand how it could be a manufacturing error. It has to be a joke. Well the book is in my closet on the shelf so my kids can't get to it. Maybe I will try ebay seeing that they sell for so much!!!!!!
Posted by Cassie  in  ohio  on  Sat Mar 10, 2007  at  02:22 PM
My God, the Willy, Gilbert & AJ Show was right! That's the thing from the Willy, Gilbert & AJ Show!!! OMG!! Thomas Farris was right they didn't make it up!

I EXPLAIN:
The Willy, Gilbert & AJ Show has a plot outline about an army of Kamikaze Elmo Dolls that say "WHo want sto die?" but I didn't know it was loosely based on actual events! Awesome
Posted by Adam DeMora  on  Sun Jul 01, 2007  at  07:30 PM
Comments: Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >
Commenting is not available in this channel entry.