Cat that walked 3000 miles to find its owners, 1951
Bonsai Kittens, 2000
war of the worlds
The night Martians invaded New Jersey, 1938
Jernegan's Gold Accumulator Scam, 1898
A black lion: real or fake?
Actress who claimed she was kidnapped by puritans, 1950
The Olympic Underwear Relay, 1956
Eccentric's last prank, 66 years after his death, 1900
BMW's April Fool's Day Hoaxes
Jennifer Love Hewitt's Disappearing Breasts
Whiskey Floats on Water
This YouTube video demonstrates a physics trick right out of high-school science -- how to take a glass of water and a glass of whiskey and swap their contents, without using a third glass. It relies on the principle that whiskey is lighter than water and will float on top of it. The funny part is not the video, which is fairly straightforward, but rather the comments left by YouTube viewers, many of whom seem to think the video must have been faked. I guess they weren't paying attention in high-school science. I had a bottle of cheap whiskey on hand (Rebel Yell), so I tried the experiment myself, and I can attest that it definitely works. You just have to make sure not to allow the whiskey and water to mix too quickly, otherwise they'll combine together and you'll end up with two glasses of watered-down whiskey.

Categories: Photos/Videos, Science
Posted by The Curator on Thu May 17, 2007
I saw this in a Paul Zenon book, but I've never tried it. I always wondered what it'd look like. I'm going to try it now and see it for myself.

I love how the Youtubers don't understand the science behind it. And are so confident in their convictions too.
Posted by Renquist  in  Glasgow, Scotland  on  Thu May 17, 2007  at  10:37 AM
mixology 101 guyz...
Posted by oppiejoe  in  Michigan - USA  on  Thu May 17, 2007  at  12:02 PM
Come on man! Rebel Yell is like the Buick of whiskey. All the quality without all the price!!
Posted by coit  on  Thu May 17, 2007  at  12:10 PM
Is there any other substance that I could do this with besides , seeing as how I'm under the age to drink and none of my family drinks . Like, would vegetable oil work?
Posted by Pickle  in  In a Jar  on  Thu May 17, 2007  at  09:52 PM
I think vegetable oil should work. In fact, it would probably be easier to do it with vegetable oil, seeing as oil and water mix far less easily than water and whiskey.
Posted by The Curator  in  San Diego  on  Fri May 18, 2007  at  04:30 AM
You should also be able to do it with a glass of freshwater with a drop of food coloring in it and glass of saltwater without. The saltwater is denser and should go on top.
Posted by David B.  on  Fri May 18, 2007  at  12:48 PM
But obviously this experiment _must_ be a fake. Remember, YouTube is the voice of the people, and the voice of the people is always right smile

Or does it show something else?
Posted by DFStuckey  in  Auckland, New Zealand  on  Tue Jun 05, 2007  at  01:21 AM
I'd like to do it with a glass of freshwater with a drop of food colouring in it. I'll try it at home
Posted by Rasta  in  Rivne  on  Mon May 17, 2010  at  09:53 AM