The Berners Street Hoax, 1810
Cursed by Allah
The Man-Eating Tree of Madagascar Hoax, 1874
The Crown Prince Regent of Thulia, 1954
September Morn, the painting that shocked the censor, 1913
The Hoaxing Hitchhiker, 1941
Rachael Ray cooks her family and her dog
Old-Time Photo Fakery, 1900 to 1919
Boy floats away in balloon, 2009
Sober Sue, the woman who never smiled, 1907
What Students Want
Scottish high school students were given a survey to find out what resources they would like to see in the area to help it develop. The answer: fast-food restaurants, cinemas, and a brothel. [BBC]
Categories: Pranks
Posted by The Curator on Mon May 11, 2009
Considering the attitude exposed in the final paragraph...

He added that the pupils had voted against a wind farm which he described as "a disappointing outcome" which showed more needed to be done to "get the message across".

...I'm not surprised someone may have found the exercise hard to take seriously.
Posted by Robert Seddon  in  Durham, UK  on  Mon May 11, 2009  at  12:08 PM
I've been to Selkirk. Trust me, it does actually need a brothel.
Posted by Renquist  in  Glasgow, Scotland  on  Mon May 11, 2009  at  05:02 PM
I'd go for a combination brothel/arcade.
Posted by Madison Marbury  in  Paris (currently)  on  Tue May 12, 2009  at  12:21 PM
Was Renquist seriously the only person polled?
Posted by Transfrmr  in  deep trouble  on  Wed May 13, 2009  at  03:32 AM
The brothels would never need to bailed out
Posted by LondoninActon  in  London  on  Wed May 13, 2009  at  06:52 PM
I agree with MadHar, but I'd go one step further and combine the fast food restaurant-cinema-brothel into one venture, I'd call it McFlickaTrick. I know, I'm awesome. You're welcome
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Wed May 13, 2009  at  09:03 PM
No, you're not awesome, you're idea would never work. After the fast food and hookers you'd be far too tired for the cinema. Clearly.
Posted by Madison Marbury  on  Thu May 14, 2009  at  12:56 AM
Actually, if you did the fast food first, and then simultaneously indulged in the hookers and a movie, you could probably pull it off, Awesomeness restored wink

Not Hairy's fault if you pick the wrong order!
Posted by Transfrmr  in  deep trouble  on  Thu May 14, 2009  at  02:01 AM
Hey seriously, any community above 120 000 people needs more cinemas - 4 mainstream, two nostalgia, one arthouse and one offbeat/weird.

And I will accept any challenge to that statement. smile
Posted by D F Stuckey  in  AUckland New Zealand  on  Fri May 15, 2009  at  02:58 AM
As the student who actually proposed the brothel, I would like to point out that it was originally spoken entirely in jest. However, given the popularity of the suggestion, I may just have to pursue a career in town planning! cheese
Posted by Adam L  in  Selkirk, Scotland  on  Fri May 15, 2009  at  05:45 AM
David Hammersmith ( Or David OF Hammersmith? Unclear), you might want to check your facts before making a statement like that.

In WW2, the French-licensed and organised brothels in Algeria and North africa were all shiut down when Filed Marshall ( later Lord) montgomery toof charge of the area with his forces. Venereal disease among civilians and soldiers went up by around 300%. The lowest rates of STDs in Europe are in those countries with licensed brothels in them.

Sure, there are exceptions, like my own country, where prostitution was decriminalised and the rate of infection among men for Chlamydia stayed the same . . . But then, it had been rising for years before that.

And who among us can name a university town that has NOT got an overworked STD clinic at it's college ( OK, maybe the towns where Brown and Bryn Mawr are . . . )?
Posted by D F Stuckey  in  Auckland New Zealand  on  Sat May 16, 2009  at  12:02 AM
Oh and Adam L, you certainly should become a town planner - You cannot do any worse than any of the qualified ones . . . .
Posted by D F Stuckey  in  Auckland New Zealand  on  Sat May 16, 2009  at  12:04 AM
i have to say beeing one of the students that was their at the time it was so boring! and it has to be said that shermans comment made all of us laugh and lightened the mood greatly! hence the afternoon was no longer boring as feck :D
Posted by kim H  in  selkirk, scotland  on  Sun Dec 20, 2009  at  06:57 PM
I agree with Madison Marbury. Very clearly.
Posted by clarissea  in  Phoenix, AZ  on  Tue Jan 12, 2010  at  01:32 AM