Samsung invents the on/off switch
The most sacred relic: the Holy Foreskin, circa 800 AD
The worms inside your face
Life discovered on the moon, 1835
'Solar Armor' freezes man in Nevada Desert, 1874
Fake Photos of Very Large Animals
Jean Gauntt, the Immortal Baby, 1939
Dog wins art contest, 1974
September Morn, the painting that shocked the censor, 1913
BMW's April Fool's Day Hoaxes
What About the San Diego Earthquake?
I have been asked to explain why I am still here. After all, South African psychic SilverJade predicted that a major earthquake was going to hit San Diego on February 23rd. I live in San Diego. So shouldn't I be buried under rubble by now? Well, as far as I know, no earthquake hit the city. However, we did get an awful lot of rain. So much rain that everything just seems to be sliding downhill, including the houses of many people. Maybe this is what SilverJade saw? She somehow mistook rain for the shaking of the earth? Or maybe not... What do I know? I'm not a psychic. Anyway, it does appear that I won't have to give up being a cynic and become her disciple.
Categories: Future/Time
Posted by The Curator on Sat Feb 26, 2005
Alex, don't be too surprised if this "psychic" now claims that the mudslides ARE what he/she was "seeing." That's part of the "psychic" racket: retroactively fitting whatever happens into what you originally said. It's a scam, but the True Believers of the world will buy it, anyway.

Here's a prediction for ya: something medically-related will happen to the Pope over the next few weeks. Anyone want to bet against me (keeping in mind that I will claim that death is medically-related if and when JPII goes toes up)?
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Sat Feb 26, 2005  at  03:25 AM
Funny how all the astrologers, psychics and the all the rest missed the tsunami. Maybe the planets were having a day off.
Posted by Peter  in  London  on  Sat Feb 26, 2005  at  06:45 AM
Any disciple can be psychically cynical when cyclical seismic predictions become precipitation, see?
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Sat Feb 26, 2005  at  07:36 AM
Hairy is soooooooo alliterate.
Posted by Chadds Ford Prefect  on  Sat Feb 26, 2005  at  11:35 AM
"Here's a prediction for ya: something medically-related will happen to the Pope over the next few weeks."
You're psychic, aren't you?
Posted by Big Gary C  in  Dallas, Texas  on  Sat Feb 26, 2005  at  01:43 PM
Okay, this is a true story. The only store open in my town on Christmas Day last was the Video store. Only hours before the Asian Tsunami, which struck horribly at Banda Aceh, I bought an old copy of Concert For Bangladesh. I was watching the video as the quake occured. Why, out of the hundreds of previously-viewed videos, I would choose Concert For Bangladash, so near in name to Banda Aceh, I don't know. Of course, a similar international relief effort was undertaken in both cases.
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Sat Feb 26, 2005  at  08:43 PM
I bought a copy of Escape From LA today... hmmm...
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Sat Feb 26, 2005  at  10:43 PM
Big Gary C said:

"Good prediction, Cranky. If he dies, that's medically-related. If he recovers, that's medically-related. If he stays in the hospital and does or doesn't get better ot worse, that's medically-related, too.
You're psychic, aren't you?"

Well, let's put it this way: I'm every bit as "psychic" as those professional "psychics" that Larry King pollutes CNN with regularly.

Actually, what I did in my original posting is exactly what a lot of those phonies do. They make a prediction that is extremely general and open to interpretation. Then, if ANYTHING even remotely similar to their "prediction" comes true, they take credit for having "foreseen" it.

Is there ANY chance that NOTHING "medically-related" will happen to the Pope in the next few weeks, especially when you consider how vague a term like "next few weeks" is? Hey, it works for Sylvia Brown; it MUST be good enough for little ol' me.
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Sun Feb 27, 2005  at  03:44 AM
Hairy Houdini said:

"I bought a copy of Escape From LA today... hmmm..."

Time to evacuate Santa Monica!
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Sun Feb 27, 2005  at  03:46 AM
I just bought "The Notebook." What town will be destroyed by that?!
Posted by Maegan  in  Tampa, FL - USA  on  Sun Feb 27, 2005  at  07:02 AM
In a totally unrelated event:

Wierd. Not only she got the place wrong, she got the date wrong too (assuming that she predicted February 23rd in American date - Asia, where I am, is 11-12 hours ahead of American Eastern Time).

Now I assume she's gonna say she meant Iran instead of San Diego. Hmmm...
Posted by RAMChYLD  in  Malaysia  on  Sun Feb 27, 2005  at  09:01 AM
Posted by Buster  in  Los Angeles  on  Sun Feb 27, 2005  at  04:00 PM
Buster said:

"oddly there was a very small earthquake in Encino today. Though there are small earthquakes happening all the time."

Did you rent "Encino Man" with Pauly Shore? If so, there's your reason right there.
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Sun Feb 27, 2005  at  07:21 PM
Hairy, surely you know that Bangladesh was also hit in the Boxing Day Tsunami, although it wasn't affected as much as some other countries in the region.

Just don't rent any copies of "Dallas," OK?
Posted by Gary in Dallas  in  Dallas, Texas  on  Mon Feb 28, 2005  at  07:14 PM
It's spooky sometims... I watched "Apocalypse Now", and walked around screeching "TIGAH-IT WAS A TIGAH_HA HA" (watch the flick). In the next three days, there was a report of a tiger in a NYC apt., a tiger shot in an Iraqi zoo, and poor Roy got mauled.
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Mon Feb 28, 2005  at  08:43 PM
At the very least, Hairy, you have a powerful sense of the zeitgeist.
Posted by Big Gary C  in  Dallas, Texas  on  Tue Mar 01, 2005  at  12:59 PM
Gezhundtheit
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Tue Mar 01, 2005  at  01:29 PM
Psychics are a bunch of bogus. They just think up stuff while they pick their nose.
Posted by Psychics are Wierd  on  Tue Apr 12, 2005  at  08:32 PM
There was an earthquake in San Diego today. The epicenter was just a few miles from my house. The shaking woke me up at 4am and I couldn't get back to sleep.
Posted by The Curator  in  San Diego  on  Wed Apr 13, 2005  at  12:46 AM
63.6% chance of a major earthquake in SD.
Posted by San Diego Native  in  San Diego  on  Fri Jul 02, 2010  at  05:09 PM