Cursed by Allah
Samsung invents the on/off switch
Rare planetary alignment decreases gravity, 1976
Did Paul McCartney die on Nov. 9, 1966?
Actress who claimed she was kidnapped by puritans, 1950
Fake Photos of Very Large Animals
Bizarre pictographs of Emmanuel Domenech, 1860
The Great Electric Sugar Swindle, 1884
Cat that walked 3000 miles to find its owners, 1951
Adolf Hitler Baby Photo Hoax, 1933
Weird Scottish Myths
The Scotsman has published an article on a number of slightly bizarre (well, very bizarre) myths about Scotland, ranging from Jesus holidaying in the Hebrides to Jerusalem actually being Edinburgh. Mostly avoiding the Da Vinci Code furore, the newspaper has given each theory their own marks out of ten on the probability scale.

0/10 - This whole theory seems as thin as extra-thin, thin crust pizza, that has been cooked very thin. It is hard to believe that the ancient Scots were busy sailing around the world sharing religion and genes when back home everything seems so, well, primitive. Wouldn’t Scotland have been a very different place if we were indeed being subject to such a wealth of world culture?

(Thanks, Dave.)
Categories: History, Places, Religion
Posted by Boo on Thu Aug 10, 2006
Scotland is Atlantis! Brilliant! Though my favorite Atlantis theory of all time is that Atlantis was Tampa, Florida. Someday I really need to make a page collecting together all the weird Atlantis theories.
Posted by The Curator  in  San Diego  on  Thu Aug 10, 2006  at  10:17 AM
My Scottish ancestors would want me to point out that the phrase, "Weird Scottish Myths" seems somehow triply redundant.
Posted by Big Gary McBurns  in  Edinburg, Texas  on  Thu Aug 10, 2006  at  06:48 PM
My Scottish ancestors would like me to point out that it is Scotch myths (weird or not), Scottish is used for people not things.
Posted by Christopher Cole  in  Tucson, AZ  on  Fri Aug 11, 2006  at  06:17 PM
Well, I dunno, Christopher.
I'd say Flora is eminently qualified to rule on the correct use of the adjective, being a Scottish (or Scotch) person in Scotland, and all.
Posted by Big Gary  in  Edinburg, Texas  on  Fri Aug 11, 2006  at  07:16 PM
Scottish can be used for people or things, but Scotch is only used for things. Generally whisky, eggs and tape.
wink
Posted by Boo  in  The Land of the Haggii...  on  Fri Aug 11, 2006  at  08:03 PM
It was my grandfather, a first-generation American, who taught me the difference between Scottish and Scotch. I would guess that the usage might have changed over the years. I still keep the difference between the two out of respect to my Scottish ancestors (Henderson, MacBeath and Claighorn). I think the difference is useful. Besides, since when have the Scots ever agreed on anything? Bonnie Prince Charlie was nothing of the kind.
Posted by Christopher Cole  in  Tucson, AZ  on  Fri Aug 11, 2006  at  11:56 PM