Vilcabamba, the town of very old people, 1978
Samsung invents the on/off switch
Princess Caraboo, servant girl who became a princess, 1817
Prof. Wingard's Death Ray Hoax, 1876
The Cottingley Fairies, 1917
The Nobody For President Campaign, 1940 to Present
Tube of liquor hidden in prohibition-era boot, 1920s
Rachael Ray cooks her family and her dog
The Stone-Age Tasaday Hoax, 1971
Mencken's fake history of the bathtub, 1917
Wall of Fake Breasts
Status: Real Wall, Fake Breasts
Retailers are always coming up with new gimmicks to help their customers. I'm surprised none of them have thought of this before (reported in the Hindustan Times):

Men who want to woo their ladies by buying them sexy-scanty upper garments, but don't know their sizes, need not look confused anymore, as a designer in Netherlands has made their job much easier by creating a wall of fake breasts to help male shoppers buy bras that fit their wives or girlfriends. Wendy Rameckers, who works at the Piet Zwart Institute for Retail and Design in Rotterdam, has made a wall consisting of rows of silicon breasts in all sizes. She believes that by look and touch, male shoppers can work out the right size.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to locate a picture of this breast wall. But why stop at a wall? Why not display differently proportioned mannequins to help men find the right size?
Categories: Body Manipulation
Posted by The Curator on Thu Nov 03, 2005
I'm surprised nobody thought of this a long time ago.
Posted by Cathy  in  South Dakota  on  Thu Nov 03, 2005  at  02:35 PM
Shop full of Real Dolls?
Might actually make men a lot more willing to do some shopping.
Posted by Beasjt  in  Earth  on  Thu Nov 03, 2005  at  03:57 PM
"I'm surprised nobody thought of this a long time ago."

Ohhh... but I have. cheese
Posted by Peter  on  Fri Nov 04, 2005  at  04:58 AM
I couldn't get to Piet Zwart site listed in the article (cannot find server error) but I do know that Zwart Piet (Black Pete) is the name of Santa Claus' fictional sidekick in Dutch tradition. Makes me suspect a ruse.
Posted by Jerry  on  Fri Nov 04, 2005  at  06:07 AM
First, the Piet Zwart Institute is real. I guess their website is down because of the peak of attention the Wall gets them.

Second, St. Nicholas is not "Santa Claus' fictional sidekick in Dutch tradition". It's the opposite. Santa Claus is based on St. Nicholas.

Posted by Henri  in  The Netherlands  on  Fri Nov 04, 2005  at  05:50 PM

Anyways, there really was a Dutch graphic designer named Piet Zwart! Bauhaus. Had a personal logo that was just a letter P and a black square.
Posted by katey  on  Fri Nov 04, 2005  at  06:46 PM
Here is a picture of this wall:

Maybe not as spectacular as envisioned?
It is a display in a trade show for retail design: Shop!nl.
regards, wim
Posted by wim wiskerke  in  washington dc  on  Fri Nov 04, 2005  at  08:42 PM
"er...I thought Jerry was saying that "Black Pete" (ake Zwart Piet) was "Santa Claus" (aka St Nicklas)'s sidekick..."

Right! Sorry for the misinterpretation. English is not my native language.
Posted by Henri  in  The Netherlands  on  Sat Nov 05, 2005  at  06:42 AM
Some of my best friends are men -- but my guess is that either they'd break up in giggles trying to maul a grey-blue wall of tits, or else it would be far too real to them, in which case they'd probably not come to any useful conclusions about technical size.
Posted by cvirtue  on  Sat Nov 05, 2005  at  08:06 PM
Real as in real silicon?
regards, wim
Posted by wim wiskerke  in  washington dc  on  Sun Nov 06, 2005  at  12:15 AM
So ... the dimples on that wall are supposed to be breasts? The shape doesn't seem the same.

By the way, wim, I think you mean "real silicone." Silicone is that rubber-like substance they use for breast implants. Silicon is that glass-like substance they use for computer chips.
Posted by Big Gary, trying spats on his hamster  in  Dallas, Texas  on  Sun Nov 06, 2005  at  07:54 PM
Thanks Big Gary, I meant the soft ware not the hardware wink Real silicon_e_ indeed.
regards, wim
Posted by wim wiskerke  in  Washington DC  on  Mon Nov 07, 2005  at  09:45 PM
never mind the underwear, how much for the wall?
Posted by hunt  on  Fri Nov 18, 2005  at  03:54 PM