Samsung invents the on/off switch
Iceberg floats into Sydney Harbor, 1978
The Man-Eating Tree of Madagascar Hoax, 1874
A black lion: real or fake?
The Great Electric Sugar Swindle, 1884
The damp spot that hoaxed a city, 1912
The Instant Color TV Hoax, 1962
The Sandpaper Test, 1960
Use your left ear to detect lies
Jernegan's Gold Accumulator Scam, 1898
Walken for President
Has Christopher Walken announced his intention to run for President of the United States? If you believe the press release posted on the 'Walken for Pres' site, he has:

09 August, 2005. New York - Early today, actor Christopher Walken, 62, held a private conference at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in New York in which he announced his intentions to run for the Presidency of the United States in the 2008 Election. Said the Queens native, “I have always been a follower of politics. My father was friends with the mayor of Schodack (NY) back in the 1940’s. We would walk the streets of Schodack and the people, they would wave to him. The children adored him. That is what I love to be, a man of respect and love.”

However, WorldNet Daily (which, I realize, isn't the most credible of sources, but in this case I suspect they're correct), reports a rumor that the Walken For Pres site is a hoax that is being perpetrated by members of the General Mayhem message boards.
Categories: Celebrities, Politics, Websites
Posted by The Curator on Sun Aug 14, 2005
He would probably be very effective at scaring people in the debates hell i'd vote for him
Posted by Geekmafia  in  cognito  on  Sun Aug 14, 2005  at  05:50 PM
I'd vote for him if he could make lightning come out of his fingertips. I'd definitely vote for him if this whole thing is a hoax!
Posted by BugbearSloth  in  earth, 3rd planet, sol system  on  Sun Aug 14, 2005  at  06:51 PM
I wouldn't trust WorldNet Daily as far as I could throw the lot of them, either. Their reporting it as a hoax is probably a hoax designed to deflect criticism away from President Boy George.
Posted by BugbearSloth  in  earth, 3rd planet, sol system  on  Sun Aug 14, 2005  at  06:53 PM
Hmmm, not running for President, but Walken for President!

(Smacking myself for that bad pun)
Posted by Chris Carlisle  on  Sun Aug 14, 2005  at  08:38 PM
did anyone see if hes republican or democrat?
Posted by RAMONESxMANIA  on  Sun Aug 14, 2005  at  08:48 PM
gee, he sounds like georgie w bush--he just wants to be a man of respect and love!!! Next war, please?
Posted by Politico  in  neck of the north  on  Sun Aug 14, 2005  at  09:18 PM
I'd vote for him as long as he gave us more cowbell!
Posted by Chris B  on  Sun Aug 14, 2005  at  10:37 PM
According the Constitution, he's qualified to be prez. So why not?
Posted by Nigel  on  Mon Aug 15, 2005  at  07:11 AM
I like this Christopher Walken very much.. he is too much the man... he can dance with the ladies and scare the bad guys, yes, a lot like me, Raoul, The Mambo King... don't get me started. because I will not stop until the band begs to go home, okay? Rrrraoul
Posted by Raoul  on  Mon Aug 15, 2005  at  10:39 AM
His psycho act would likely scare the piss out of Osama and the new Iranian President.
If this is a hoax, let's start up a write-in campaign!!!
Posted by Craig  on  Mon Aug 15, 2005  at  03:18 PM
He was a Stiffly Stifferson.. so I stuck it to 'im! Whammy!! Whammy, wowee, zowee! You just been.. pranked!
Posted by Larry Hobson  on  Mon Aug 15, 2005  at  03:29 PM
Craig...I find it interesting that you would attempt to combine/compare Osama and the new Iranian president by commentarial proximity...I know the digital-brownshirt push for war between the US and Iran has begun, but can't you be a bit more subtle? Chris Walken and Robert DeNiro were in a film together once, and I can still tell that they are very different... Very different... Osama is Saudi ARABIAN and Iranis are PERSIAN...get it together, Mr. Rove- I mean, Craig
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Mon Aug 15, 2005  at  03:34 PM
General Mayhem is responsible for creating this parody on Christopher Walken supposedly "running" for President

Posted by Genmay  on  Mon Aug 15, 2005  at  06:35 PM
aw, jeez..."Walken" is "running" for president...I just Now got your pun, Capt. Platy, two days after I read it...cripes, I'm slipping...maybe I should stop Running and start Walken...sorry
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Tue Aug 16, 2005  at  12:29 PM
Not an iota of a pica of a chance this is real, but it would be a fantastic idea. James Woods could be his running mate. Or Steve Buscemi. A party of twitchy, unpredictable, uncomfortable nutcases. Intuitive improvisation. One shot. Once my pants are on, I make gold records. I got a fever - and the only prescription is *more cowbell*.

Or John Malkovich.
Posted by Ashley Pomeroy  in  Wiltshire, England  on  Tue Aug 16, 2005  at  01:12 PM
"A party of twitchy, unpredictable, uncomfortable nutcases." geez, AshPom...isn't that what we've got in the White House now? And I agree, you can never have enough cowbell, prefereably in the key of G, as in "Gee, Malkovich is creepy"
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Tue Aug 16, 2005  at  01:25 PM
To quote Mr. Walken

"I tend to play mostly villains and twisted people. Unsavory guys."

sounds to me like somebody wants to be prez LOL
Posted by Chuck  in  Rhode Island  on  Tue Aug 16, 2005  at  03:09 PM
Feh. Snopes has this now, and Walken's publicist has put the kibosh on the whole cockamamie mish-mash. But still! Think of it! The man who saved the world from warmongering psychopath Martin Sheen in "The Dead Zone", actually in the hot seat! I bet he has Dennis Hopper's phone number. No other nation would dare defy the United States, with Walken as president.
Posted by Ashley Pomeroy  on  Wed Aug 17, 2005  at  03:06 PM
Nice blog.I like this.
John
Posted by John  in  usa  on  Thu Aug 18, 2005  at  05:50 AM
lol Christopher Walken is a great choice. He could bridge the gap between folks with common sense and the crazies who turn a Walken2008 joke into teh bush-bash

Republicans still don't know who they nominating, Go Walken!!!
Posted by Dave  in  USA  on  Fri Aug 19, 2005  at  12:54 AM
hes democrat
Posted by katspunx  in  Spokane, WA  on  Fri Aug 19, 2005  at  08:23 PM
LOL VALUT
Posted by syn  in  genmay  on  Sat Aug 27, 2005  at  09:27 AM
LOL Apparently enough people were buzzing about it that the site got mentioned in MSNBC's gossip pages.

" Don't go Walken to the polls
Candidates for president in
Posted by Winona  in  USA  on  Mon Aug 29, 2005  at  10:47 AM
i heard that hes running under an independant party. i dont know its official name though. I know where he atands on a few important topics, but i want to know more, and if he actually is running. hes against gun ownership for the general public(big negative 4 me)hes 4 stem cell research(huge positive 4 me)but i havnt heard where he stands on gay marriage. cool hmm
iv got a fever...and the only cure..is to become the president of the united states of america.
Posted by nhead1  in  florida  on  Wed Mar 08, 2006  at  11:03 AM
If that site is a hoax, whoever came up with that platform *SHOULD* run for president. It was a nice breath of fresh air.
Posted by MissBe  in  USA  on  Mon May 01, 2006  at  04:14 AM
for what it's worth, this is a fake site.
Due dilligence would not allow the photos from movies and Entertainment agencies to be used without assigning the copywrite to the studios or photographers.
additionally, no proper campaign would use photos of the candidate in such a haphazard way. You want to show Christopher as he is now, in the current context. Using existing old glamour shots smacks of lazyness and vanity.
Besides that, Chris is awesome, but please no more actors in politics even if I agree with them.
Posted by jeff  in  L.A.  on  Thu May 04, 2006  at  03:59 PM
I think I saw him in a commercial or something for a new movie, in which a comedian becomes president.
Posted by Tony  on  Fri Sep 29, 2006  at  04:03 PM