Sober Sue, the woman who never smiled, 1907
Jean Gauntt, the Immortal Baby, 1939
Cat that walked 3000 miles to find its owners, 1951
Tourist Guy 9/11 Hoax, Sep 2001
Dog wins art contest, 1974
Man flies by own lung power, 1934
Bonsai Kittens, 2000
Samsung invents the on/off switch
Burger King's Left-Handed Whopper Hoax, 1998
Wal-Mart Advertisements
There's an interesting Q&A in today's Stuart Elliott column in the NY Times:

A Reader Asks: I have a question regarding Wal-Mart's advertising. Do you know if Wal-Mart actually uses employees in its ads or does it hire actors?

I've wondered about this myself. Are there really all these happy people working at Wal-Mart? Elliott's response:

The people appearing in the television commercials and print advertisements for Wal-Mart Stores are actual employees, according to Wal-Mart and its agencies. Such ads have been appearing more frequently as part of efforts by Wal-Mart to counter critics who charge the company does not offer its employees adequate health care or other benefits.

So they're really employees. But I'm still not buying that Wal-Mart is such a great place to work.
Categories: Advertising
Posted by The Curator on Tue May 10, 2005
When life gives you a lemon (Or, in this case, a job at Wal-Mart), just make lemonade.

Take, for instance, the tech department at our local Wal-Mart a few years back. Practically the entire department was caught in a sting operation selling tech items (game consoles, games, TVs, etc.) stolen from the store THAT THEY WORKED IN! This had gone on for YEARS! From what I understand, they made quite a bit of dough.

I also heard of another Wal-Mart where someone set up a drug manufacturing operation - Right in the store! Everyone always wondered why he enjoyed working double-shifts...
Posted by Anonymous  on  Sat May 14, 2005  at  10:57 AM
When I worked at a video store, I used to eat the "damaged" candy. Also, we had a policy that if someone returned a single item 3 times (vhs, dvd) then it was obviously damaged. We would take them out of inventory & throw them away [into my car]. Usually, the item 'didn't work', b/c it was a stupid movie. Or because people don't know how to work their players properly. Whatever, thanks to them I own Kpax, Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back, Replacement Killers, another movie whose name I forget that has orange writing on the front, Little Mermaid 2 (VHS), Cinderella 2 (VHS), Goonies (VHS), and a few video games that I don't have the titles to, b/c my husband thought they were too stupid to play.
Posted by Maegan  in  Tampa, FL - USA  on  Sun May 15, 2005  at  12:24 PM
I like your site but get frustrated at your liberal bias. I work for Wal-Mart and have for 15 year. I enjoy what I do and the people I work with and for. If so many people are unhappy they are free to go find another job.
Posted by davedavis  on  Thu May 19, 2005  at  10:12 AM
LOL

Damn us liberals...
Wanting fair pay and benefits.
Posted by Boo  in  The Land of the Haggii...  on  Tue May 24, 2005  at  12:36 PM
Wal-Mart is a terrible place to work and shop. Google "anti-Wal-Mart" and see.
Posted by Soonerthought  on  Mon Jul 25, 2005  at  11:37 PM
I am looking to find Trevor from one of the more recent ads. If anyone knows his info or his wearabouts please contact me. He isnt a Wal-Mart employee but an actor who pretends to shop in the commercial. Or if you know info for who films those commercials let me know. I need to find him... Thanks--Kelly
Posted by Kelly  in  Reno, NV  on  Tue Jul 26, 2005  at  01:15 PM
Hi Guys,

Just a quick one! I can confirm the Wal*Mart use actual employees in their ads!! How do I know: I work for ASDA and I have just come home from filming the ASDA 2005 Christmas Commercial, one thing for sure: no actors!!!!
Posted by An ASDA Worker  on  Mon Oct 10, 2005  at  11:20 AM
Kelly

Hi there, i was an actor in a recent asda commercial that filmed with Santa out there in Basingstoke.

The company who filmed it is ANNEX FILMS, they are based in Dean Street, in SOHO. Just google them to get a contact number.

Laters
Jefferson.
Posted by Jefferson NE King  on  Mon Oct 24, 2005  at  11:28 AM
Walmart is a horrible place to work. I used to be one of their employees. I just don't see why or how they would be using real employees for these commercials. If you really think about it, it doesn't seem likely at all.
Posted by Rachel  on  Tue Jan 10, 2006  at  02:39 PM
Walmart should be renamed ChinaMart, because just about everything, if not everything, comes from there! We who shop at Walmart are helping to make China the mega-superpower it's becoming. stamp a smiley face on my butt and teach me Chinese! Factually yours, Christina
Posted by Christina  in  Pennsylvania  on  Sat Jun 10, 2006  at  05:56 PM
I'm right here at Walmart, wa bored so I went on Google. And, actually I was told they are actors. :[ This disappointed me greatly.
Posted by DatapawWolf  on  Sat Oct 20, 2012  at  08:26 PM
Comments: Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2