The Man-Eating Tree of Madagascar Hoax, 1874
Dead Body of Loch Ness Monster Found, 1972
Adolf Hitler Baby Photo Hoax, 1933
The damp spot that hoaxed a city, 1912
Lord Gordon-Gordon, robber of the robber barons, 1871
Eccentric's last prank, 66 years after his death, 1900
Vote For Juanzo
image One of the contestants in this year's Baby of the Year competition hosted by the Kent & Sussex Courier was a little different. The odd baby out was Juanzo Bell. The strange grimace on young Juanzo's face was attributed to Wolf Syndrome, "a rare condition in which fur and whiskers grow - eventually obscuring the baby's smile." But in reality Juanzo was the photoshop creation of the guy who created the Vote For Juanzo blog. His aim was to undermine the integrity of the Kent & Sussex Courier's baby contest, since he views it as a cynical gimmick used by the paper to bump up their circulation figures. He was hoping to motivate the internet community to vote for Juanzo en masse. However, the deadline for voting was July 15, so it's too late to help the cause now. No word on how Juanzo fared in the contest. (via J-Walk)
Categories: Birth/Babies
Posted by The Curator on Wed Jul 27, 2005
Fortunately I have no problem with needing to lie to people about their babies. If they ask and the baby is ugly I tell them so. Most people don't ask anymore.
Posted by Charybdis  in  Hell  on  Thu Jul 28, 2005  at  12:39 AM
I never say a baby is "ugly" as that seems just a little cruel towards the poor baby. But I don't lie about it either... I just substitute the word unique for ugly so that technically I'm telling the truth... and leave it at that!

smirk
Posted by Mark-N-Isa  in  Midwest USA  on  Thu Jul 28, 2005  at  02:02 AM
"This baby is BREATHTAKING!"
Posted by Maegan  in  Tampa, FL - USA  on  Thu Jul 28, 2005  at  07:04 AM
Just when ı could have been of use, ım ın Turkey

Wıll ınvestıgate fully on my return to Kent

Nıck ın Turkey
Posted by Nıck ın Turkey  on  Thu Jul 28, 2005  at  07:25 AM
The blog was just updated today, Juanzo was banned from the contest.
Posted by ErikPSO  on  Thu Jul 28, 2005  at  08:59 AM
That was done by the same guy that did the Superhero of Tunbridge Wells.
Posted by Jonny  in  Sevenoaks  on  Thu Jul 28, 2005  at  11:33 AM
Well, jeez, the kids who won were barely even cute to begin with!
Posted by Maegan  in  Tampa, FL - USA  on  Thu Jul 28, 2005  at  12:46 PM
damn, thats one UGLY baby.
Posted by That Guy  in  Under a Rock  on  Thu Jul 28, 2005  at  03:45 PM
I hate that 'cute baby' stuff.
I live in a small town, where the local newspaper
has nothing better to do than to print a page of
such photos in each issue.

They just aren't cute.
Funny-looking, sometimes.
Scary, more often than not - they remind me of
the Michelin tire guy, who resembles something that would chase you thru a bad dream.

And they NEVER look anything like their parents.
Am I the only one who is suspicious about this?
Why would parents want to advertise the fact that
their kid is obviously unrelated?

Give them a few years, and the kids begin to look
presentable, thank goodness.
Posted by Irv  in  Talking Rock GA  on  Sat Jul 30, 2005  at  06:22 PM
okay....

i shouldnt be talking, but thats an ugly baby

hey im being honest, and i do know its photoshopped but its creepy.
i am also creepy myself