Tourist Guy 9/11 Hoax, Sep 2001
Pierre Brassau, Monkey Artist, 1964
The Diaphote, a television hoax, 1880
Script of Casablanca rejected, 1982
Monkeys pick cotton, a 19th-century urban legend
The Nobody For President Campaign, 1940 to Present
Samsung invents the on/off switch
Prof. Wingard's Death Ray Hoax, 1876
Fake Photos of Very Large Animals
A black lion: real or fake?
Virgin Mary on Turtle
imageI'm posting a lot of these lately. I guess it's Religious Icon season or something.

Shirley McVane believes her two-year-old turtle is developing an image of the Virgin Mary on its belly.

"I told some of my friends, you know, 'I got a turtle,' and I said it has the image of the Virgin Mary on it, and I said it's getting plainer and plainer, and they said 'Yeah, Shirley, you're 81 years old. You think we believe that?' I said it's the truth, so now they all believe it," said McVane.
She has since renamed the turtle and its mate (you guessed it!) Mary and Joseph.

Is it just me, or are these getting weaker and weaker?
Cute turtle, though.
Categories: Animals, Pareidolia, Religion
Posted by Boo on Mon Aug 28, 2006
Yeah, this was on the front page of the Chicago Sun Times. I am so proud of my city.
Posted by Matt  on  Mon Aug 28, 2006  at  09:13 AM
Nah that's not the Virgin Mary.... wait a minute...
OMG It's John Lennon again!!
Posted by Ed  on  Mon Aug 28, 2006  at  09:19 AM
Looks like an alien to me.
Posted by Charybdis  in  Hell  on  Mon Aug 28, 2006  at  10:29 AM
I'm pretty skeptical of these apparitions, and this one looks more like the bottom side of a turtle shell than anything else, but it does look more like traditional pictures of Mary than that glob of chocolate or that piece of popcorn did.
Specifically, it looks like Our Lady of Guadalupe:
Posted by Big Gary  in  Buffalo Bayou  on  Mon Aug 28, 2006  at  11:57 AM
To me it looks like. . .well let's just say "private girl parts". . .

As to virgin or not, well I'm not a gynecologist.
Posted by JoeDaJuggler  in  St. Louis, MO  on  Mon Aug 28, 2006  at  02:11 PM
Looks like the bottom of a Western Painted Turtle to me. I have 3 at home will similar markings. I am so glad that I don't suffer from Pareidolia. It seems like it is becoming a disease these days. Virgin Mary on the bottom of a turtle one day and Jimmy Hoffa in the text of my post the next.
Posted by Lounge Lizard  in  El Paso, Tx  on  Mon Aug 28, 2006  at  04:19 PM
*Points up at Lounge Lizard's post*

Oh, My Goodness! It's Jimmy Hoffa. Right there in that post!!!
Posted by Tah  in  Idaho (Yes, Idaho)  on  Mon Aug 28, 2006  at  08:10 PM
Looks more like Darth Vader to me. Hmmmm, Darth Vader on the underside of a turtle... what does that portend? Cute turtle, though.
Posted by Seamyst  in  West Virginia  on  Mon Aug 28, 2006  at  10:09 PM
OK, seriously, what would happen if I said that I just discovered an image of the Virgin Mary on my penis, or that my penis LOOKED LIKE the Virgin Mary? Seriously, would the press take me seriously and put me on the TV news? I would keep a straight face, of course, and maintain that I was serious about the "apparition." How would they handle that?

Is my story really more absurd than a Virgin Mary made of chocolate drippings or in the burn mark on a tortilla? Could I get pilgrims to make donations to see my miracle penis?
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Tue Aug 29, 2006  at  03:32 AM
Posted by LaMa  in  Europe  on  Tue Aug 29, 2006  at  06:17 AM

Well, Cranky, there's really only one way to find out...
wink
Posted by Boo  in  The Land of the Haggii...  on  Tue Aug 29, 2006  at  06:49 AM
For the love of god, NO pictures - PLEASE!!!

wink
Posted by Charybdis  in  Hell  on  Tue Aug 29, 2006  at  11:59 AM
My biggest concern with this idea is that I've now spilled the beans here, therefore I would probably get "caught" pretty quickly. I guess it was more of a "mind exercise" than anything else, but I really do wonder what would happen with something like that.

My best guess is that they would do the story, with no shots of the actual "miracle apparition." What I wonder is whether they would treat it as a serious story about someone who "saw" a "miracle" or would it be ridiculed. On what basis could they ridicule it, though, given what they've treated seriously in the past?
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Tue Aug 29, 2006  at  04:18 PM
LaMa said:

"Damned, Cranky Media Guy beat me to it. I was just going to post that the vitiligo spots on my, uhm, "male organ" look like the Virgin Mary...."

Sorry about the discoloration, Dude, but in all seriousness, you sound as if you'd be the perfect person to pull this off. Oops, bad phrasing there, huh?

Seriously, if you have any acting skills, you might want to seriously consider being the guy who "finds" the "miracle" on his best friend, if you catch my drift.

Too bad you're in Europe; America seems to be the place where this kind of thing happens most often. But, hey, the Lord works in mysterious ways, right?
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Tue Aug 29, 2006  at  04:21 PM
Posted by Charybdis  in  Hell  on  Tue Aug 29, 2006  at  04:22 PM
Am I the only one who sees a Coke bottle? Is this some original advertising technique?

(And JoeDaJuggler: Shirley McVane's already said the turtle's a girl. So what do you expect to see when you look up between its legs?)
Posted by Michael S  in  Haywards, New Zealand  on  Tue Aug 29, 2006  at  07:29 PM
Charybdis said:

"Do it Cranky. I want to be able to point at my television and state, "I know that penis!"

If I did it, that would be MY prime motivation as well.
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Tue Aug 29, 2006  at  08:07 PM
Awww,not again...if saints and Jesus wants to make their presence known,why do it in such stupid ways?
Grilled cheese sandwiches,turtles and ultrasound pictures...geeez. rolleyes
Why not make a big statement instead,you know,a big time apparition across the sky or something?
Posted by nitedrive  in  sweden  on  Wed Aug 30, 2006  at  03:54 PM
"I was just going to post that the vitiligo spots on my "male organ" look like ..."

I'm usually a "show me" type of person, but in this case, I'm more than willing to take your word for it.
Posted by Big Gary  in  Palo Pinto, Texas  on  Wed Aug 30, 2006  at  06:10 PM
nitedrive said:

"Well,these people want attention,or want to feel chosen.Let them have it if the newspapers has nothing better to put on their front pages anyway.I guess it harms noone."

I sort of disagree with you on that. With two (or is it three? I forget.) wars going on, New Orleans still not recovering significantly from last year's hurricane, etc., it seems to me that there's plenty of REAL stuff to fill the daily newspapers.

These people can feel "chosen" if they want, I guess, but the press doesn't have to enable them in their delusion.
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Thu Aug 31, 2006  at  03:02 AM
Posted by cvirtue  on  Sat Sep 02, 2006  at  06:47 AM
cvirtue said:

"If I found something that really looked like a religious figure where there wasn't supposed to be one, I would definitely try and sell it on eBay for $$."

I believe that you can't sell livestock on eBay.
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Sat Sep 02, 2006  at  04:00 PM
Wasn't really thinking this turtle in specific, although the turtle's owner could kill it, then sell the shell, I suppose. To me, the design more closely resembles a marital aid than a Mary idol.
Posted by deleted  in  deleted  on  Sat Sep 02, 2006  at  09:49 PM
What gets me is how sure these people are about the identity of these pictures - it's not like we have any 2,000-year-old drivers' licenses or stuff like that for comparison. I defy anyone alive today to reliably distinguish between an image of Jesus and an image of Judas. Suppose I found a clump in my cat's litter box that looked like a face? Would christians get angry because it's made from cat pee like they did about the art that used elephant poo?

The tendency to see familiar images in random patterns is called pareidolia. And if you want to see a real penis shaped like the VM, go to http://www.divine-interventions.com/mary.html
Posted by Freticat  in  Milwaukee WI US  on  Wed Sep 27, 2006  at  11:19 AM