The Hitler Diary Hoax, 1983
The Instant Color TV Hoax, 1962
The Crown Prince Regent of Thulia, 1954
Eccentric's last prank, 66 years after his death, 1900
Fake Fish Photos
Jean Gauntt, the Immortal Baby, 1939
Virgin Mary on Living Room Wall
A New Mexico family reports that an image of the Virgin Mary has appeared in the pattern of the texture of their wall. Their granddaughter says, "I think God is trying to tell us something, like a message from heaven." Maybe that message is, "Don't get a job applying wall texture."

Is it just me, or are these Virgin Mary sightings getting harder and harder to see? I can barely make this one out at all.

Bob forwarded me the link with the comment, "How ridiculous would a 'sighting' of the Virgin Mary have to be before the news would refuse to report it?" I assume, Bob, that this is a rhetorical question.
Categories: Pareidolia, Religion
Posted by The Curator on Thu Jan 03, 2008
You can barely make it out???

That's one up on me, I can't see it at all
Posted by Sharruma  in  capable of finishing a coherent  on  Thu Jan 03, 2008  at  04:20 PM
The virgin mary is in this pic??? Where???? All I see is paint.
Posted by red_dragon_girl_69  in  Earth, I think  on  Thu Jan 03, 2008  at  05:27 PM
Posted by The Curator  in  San Diego  on  Thu Jan 03, 2008  at  06:16 PM
For feck's sake! That's just ridiculous!
Of course, the image of the virgin Mary that appears in the middle of my comment is not at all ridiculous. I can see her just fine. I'm sure if you squint your eyes and hold your head just so you'll all be able to see her too!
Posted by Nettie  in  Perth, Western Australia  on  Thu Jan 03, 2008  at  06:31 PM
Yeah, I guess it's a rhetorical question, but it's still a good one.
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Fri Jan 04, 2008  at  04:12 AM
Start your imaginations!
Posted by AA  in  Leuven, Belgium  on  Fri Jan 04, 2008  at  04:18 AM
If you look to the left of the image of the woman you can see a man cowering! That is not the Virgin Mary! It is my wife scolding me for being at the pub all night!!!
Posted by PiltdownHacker  in  Uckfield, East Success, UK  on  Fri Jan 04, 2008  at  12:48 PM
You're right, Piltdown, there is a cowering man on the left side (he has his arms crossed defensively in front of his chest).
But I thought pubs in the UK had legally-mandated closing times. Has that law been repealed?
Posted by Big Gary, MoHDCiCoF  in  Panna Maria, Texas  on  Fri Jan 04, 2008  at  08:06 PM
An image of a rusty water tower appeared in my picture of the Virgin Mary. Think it's worth anything???
Posted by Christopher  in  Warm, sunny Florida!  on  Fri Jan 04, 2008  at  09:01 PM
I say lets all start seeing Lawn Gnomes.
Posted by Christopher Cole  in  Tucson, AZ  on  Fri Jan 04, 2008  at  09:48 PM
AA said:

"No, I think Bob meant this as a challenge: Who can get the most ridiculous sighting into the local newspaper.
Start your imaginations!"

Actually, I hadn't thought of it that way, but I like the notion. Sure, let's see who can get THE most ridiculous "apparition" into the papers. I would say it has to be the BVM but the press seems to like that hallucination.
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Sat Jan 05, 2008  at  02:49 AM
Is a potato "miracle" more miraculous than a wall "miracle"?

Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Sat Jan 05, 2008  at  08:52 PM
Hey Cranky! That potato gag can be easily replicated by stabbing the image in the potato from the outside. Then let the wound "scab" up, and dry out. The longer you let the wound heal (if it's good enough), the more defined the "image" will be when you cut the tater in half for viewing...
Posted by Christopher  in  Warm, sunny Florida!  on  Sun Jan 06, 2008  at  07:21 AM
i think the key is - sniff the paint thinner before you look...
Posted by michael  in  Honolulu, HI  on  Sun Jan 06, 2008  at  07:40 PM
"I would say it has to be the BVM but the press seems to like that hallucination."

I *meant* "I WOULDN'T say..."
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Sun Jan 06, 2008  at  07:54 PM
This Mary appearing on things is just plain stupid superstition.
Posted by Jesse  on  Mon Jan 07, 2008  at  06:47 AM
I can see the image in this one:

(and, yes, UK closing time laws have been changed, but most pubs still close at 11pm anyway)
Posted by Robert N  in  London, UK  on  Mon Jan 07, 2008  at  09:28 AM
Before reading the comments, I saw the same outline as the poster above, but interpreted it as a common grey squirrel (with its tail arising to the right of the outline), possibly wearing a mitre.
Posted by Mike  on  Mon Jan 07, 2008  at  11:13 AM
I keep mailing the local papers about my virgin mary cum stain, but no one has contacted me for an interview yet...
Posted by sarah  on  Fri Jan 11, 2008  at  08:06 PM
It looks more like Father Christmas to me, doesn't it?
Posted by Enrique  in  Brussels  on  Tue Jan 15, 2008  at  11:10 AM
I've heard on one story that there's an apparition in Mexico where the Virgin Mary appeared on a frying Pan....Now do i have to pray to the frying pan!?. Are You religious nutjobs freaks or just plain looney!? I'm just shaking my head for this!
Posted by Joel  in  Hayward, CA  on  Thu Sep 10, 2009  at  04:05 AM