Stotham, Massachusetts: the town that didn't exist, 1920
Script of Casablanca rejected, 1982
Loch Ness Monster Hoaxes
The disumbrationist art hoax, 1924
Jernegan's Gold Accumulator Scam, 1898
Dog wins art contest, 1974
The Venus Flytrap Dionaea House
Here's a good link for Halloween. It's the final email correspondence of Mark Condry, as posted by his friend Eric. It takes about 15 or 20 minutes to read through in its entirety, but it's a good story if you've got the time. And no, it isn't real, though it tries its best to seem real (but if you believe in the supernatural, maybe it could be real). It was written (or posted to the web, if you believe the site) by Eric Heisserer, a Hollywood screenwriter. I won't ruin the story by giving it all away. I'll just say that it describes a house that lures people to their doom by leaving them strange clues that eventually lead to the mysterious room on the second floor.
Categories: Paranormal, Websites
Posted by The Curator on Sun Oct 31, 2004
Very good!!!
Posted by Cathy  on  Sun Oct 31, 2004  at  08:05 PM
It says Service Unavailable. I can't access it.
Posted by Ozymandias  on  Sun Oct 31, 2004  at  08:41 PM
Nevermind, I just had to refresh.
Posted by Ozymandias  on  Sun Oct 31, 2004  at  08:41 PM
Interesting and worth reading, yes, but sadly too well put together to be remotely believable.

Unless, of course, the whole thing is an elaborate setup made by the house to lure more people in . . .
Posted by Jim North  on  Sun Oct 31, 2004  at  08:52 PM
This was very cool. If you folks have the time, you should follow it along. A good setup for a movie.

Reminds me of reading Silence of the Lambs when it first came out, and knowing it would make a fantastic movie......
Posted by coit  on  Mon Nov 01, 2004  at  12:12 PM
Do the people who write these things think we are all idiots? I slogged through all the pages out of a sick curiosity to see who was advertising what product, and what a chore that was, because so many of the pages are obvious fakes because the content doesn't make sense. For example, the "I found a standby fare on Priceline.com" remark. Everybody who has heard William Schatner's voice touting the service knows that Priceline doesn't do standby fares, so why place such a glaring inaccuracy? Or the damn fake cellphone text messages. Every cellphone I've ever seen defaults to lowercase text, so using ALL CAPS is a ploy to add authenticity which actually removes it. What a waste of time (but that's what the internet's for, right?)

John.
Posted by John.  on  Mon Nov 01, 2004  at  12:20 PM
Read Eric's post to this thread, maybe it will put this in perspective for some of you. I think it is a great story, very entertaining, who didn't read the whole thing?
Posted by Legbo  in  Tennessee  on  Mon Nov 01, 2004  at  01:39 PM
Here's the link to the thread:

Posted by Legbo  in  Tennessee  on  Mon Nov 01, 2004  at  01:40 PM
Doesn't it take a while to type things into a cell phone? I don't think that he would have had time to type into his phone as it was happening.

Other than that, it was an entertaining story. Haunted house stories never fail to be amusing.
Posted by john  in  NH  on  Mon Nov 01, 2004  at  08:18 PM
Yah, to inject a little more realism, the text messages should have been mostly in shorthand, especially towards the end.

"TH DOR S OPN"
Posted by Jim North  on  Mon Nov 01, 2004  at  10:34 PM
My husband and I send long mssgs & if we type one uppercase letter, it stays that way unless we change it back. (Pressing up or down on the menu pad.) And I didn't see anywhere in the story that Eric was trying to pass this off as a REAL incident. Please calm down! I've heard William Schatner's voice for the Priceline commercials...but I didn't memorize every word & I have never flown, so I have no idea what a standby flight is. So, that line made perfect sense to someone who wasn't nit-picking every detail!

People can get big bucks from product placement in movies & books...maybe he's just testing the waters.
Posted by Maegan  in  Tampa, FL, USA  on  Wed Nov 03, 2004  at  10:47 AM
Hey now, my boy's cell was set when he got it to type all txt messages in all caps. He couldn't figure out how to reset it forEVER. And he's no computer moron, cell's are just confusing to re-program settings for sometimes!
Posted by Kitty P  in  NYC  on  Wed Nov 03, 2004  at  07:28 PM
Imagine product placement in the Lord of The Rings "Wow I'm tired after that long journey through middle earth, now for a refreshing glass of pepsi"
Posted by Ariel  on  Wed Nov 03, 2004  at  10:50 PM
That would be so awesome if Eric had a movie made out of this. I'd go and see it until theaters didn't play it anymore.

Absolutely brilliant idea. I was reading the website and it freaked the hell out of me, and the idea of it still does. Quite awesome.
Posted by Maddie  in  Nebraska  on  Sat Nov 06, 2004  at  01:15 PM
This reminds me a lot of Mark Z. Danielewski's House of Leaves (houseofleaves.com). Similar premise, similar characters, better and more innovative writing.
Posted by Tim  on  Mon Nov 08, 2004  at  06:27 PM
Honestly, good story, the thing that got me and my friends tricked by it initially is that report from Scottsdale... That really happened. really did find human bones laying in the middle of the street. Good use of the real to add more believability to the story.

Which makes me wonder, are the other news stories real?
Posted by Ryan Jackson  in  Phoenix  on  Sat Sep 10, 2005  at  11:31 AM
The third from last post was made at 5:77 pm. This is truly fake.
Posted by akoranz  on  Wed Mar 15, 2006  at  05:04 PM
Yes, but all of these responses had to be put into html format by someone, most likely retyped and edited for readability. Typos happen, and how many of you would have recognized the cell phone text as such unless it was in all caps? Not many.

And in this response "from: "Condry, Mark"
date: Saturday, September 18, 2004 7:59 AM
subject: re: update"

There is no mention of priceline, it just says he got on standby. There are no other times in the correspondence when he mentions that he "got on standby".

Is it just me or is it that anyone that wants to refute whether or not the story is legitimate are nitpicking at technical terms like capitalization and typos, which could be all attributed to human error? Does it really bother people so much to believe that there are others out there who might be curious and would like to see if it is real or not?

Also, what is wrong with just enjoying the story, for the sake that if it is just a story, for the fact that someone went through the effort of fabricating it and writing it all down so you could read it? I see no crime in that, do you?
Posted by Kitten  on  Sun Oct 29, 2006  at  08:08 PM
VERY interesting, that added bonus of having a blog written by someone named Danielle was a nice twist.
Posted by Barneyhater  on  Sat Feb 28, 2009  at  02:43 AM