Taco Bells buys the Liberty Bell, 1996
A black lion: real or fake?
The Case of the Vanishing Belly Button, 1964
Man flies by own lung power, 1934
The Hoaxing Hitchhiker, 1941
Loch Ness Monster Hoaxes
Rare planetary alignment decreases gravity, 1976
Dog wins art contest, 1974
The Great Space Monkey Hoax, 1953
The Cradle of the Deep, a literary hoax, 1929
Vampire Sites
Here's a couple of vampire-themed websites sent in by visitors. First we have the Federal Vampire and Zombie Agency. According to the blurb on the site, "From 1868 to 1975, the Federal Vampire & Zombie Agency (FVZA) was responsible for controlling the nation's vampire and zombie populations while overseeing scientific research into the undead. This site is a tribute to the men and women who served in the FVZA, especially the over 4000 Agents who lost their lives fighting to keep our country safe." And next we have The Temple of the Vampire. If you want to live forever, then all you have to do is join the temple. The catch is that in order to join you have to buy their book, The Vampire Bible. That's a good sales gimmick. I should try something like that for my book, such as if you want to achieve a state of absolute enlightenment, then you have to buy my book.
Categories: Paranormal
Posted by The Curator on Wed Oct 29, 2003
Thank you both for the kind link, and for discouraging na
Posted by Linguascelesta  in  Closer than you think  on  Sun Jul 16, 2006  at  09:22 PM
It is understandable that someone might assume that the Temple claims are a hoax. The claim to immortality is a common claim of religions that promise
Posted by AngelVamp  in  Canada  on  Tue Aug 29, 2006  at  10:37 AM
A bloody rip off is what the Temple is. I saw the charges and what you have to do to maintain membership and someone at the top of the chain is laughing all the way to the bank.

Same as Scientology - give us your money and we'll give you enlightenment. It's bullshit and I find it disgusting that people get away with this sort of ssam - that's right - A SCAM. There are plenty of them in the world and this one just shouts "HEY YOU SUCKERS WITH TOO MUCH MONEY, COME OVER HERE AND BE WELL AND TRULY RIPPED OFF!"

I bet the person who runs this is rubbing their hands together and now doesn't need to work at all with all the cash that's floating his way.

Absolutely amazing that people still fall for this kind of stuff.
Posted by Jo  in  Brighton  on  Fri Nov 24, 2006  at  10:33 AM
Jo, you are a noob. What's money compared to peace of mind? Aren't you curious at all? I'm planning on spending that money as soon as I have paypal set up... why? Because my intuition says "do it do it do it!"

Check your messages, see where you've been the last 17 billion years. Also, does the catholic church ask for money? raspberry
Posted by James Thor  in  Vancouver, BC  on  Mon Dec 25, 2006  at  08:22 PM
Do it then - and please let me know if you reach enlightenment LOL! (Or whether you are informed that the guy at the top of this money-making pyramid receives it, if he hasn't already. Absolutely ridiculous.
Posted by Jo  in  Brighton  on  Wed Jan 03, 2007  at  03:39 AM
The Temple Of The Vampire,might have started off as a good thing but sadly it's now about monthly membership dues just like a mainstream religion.

My advice seeing as the teachings and philosophy are sound just buy all five bibles and forget the TOV,find a few people you can form a small group with to meet and study their bibles and do rituals,but beyond that forget the cultic TOV its now nothing more then a money making SCAM!
Posted by Jax larue  in  Hellville  on  Thu Mar 08, 2007  at  02:52 PM
I saw nothing but glorified ripoffs of rituals used by The Golden Dawn. I'd recommend these guys instead.

And to James Thor in Vancouver I'd recommend: http://www.white-wolf.com/
Posted by Sand  in  Behind you  on  Sun Mar 25, 2007  at  07:20 AM
I am the Vampire Reltuc. Not of those among the FVZA or the Bible following of the Temple of the Vampire. But to understand the world of a Vampire you should join them but not for very long for we may forget you are our friend I hope. You should talk to us personally instead of going from scienist and covens you need to talk one on one for the full perspective. Although i am just saying you are all adults I am sure. Well, Good Night.
Posted by Retluc  in  Illinois  on  Tue Apr 10, 2007  at  10:15 PM
Vampire Reltuc??? LMFAO!!! oh puhleeze...

Grow up and stop giving these rip-off bastards your money. Go and do something useful with it instead.
Posted by Jo  in  Brighton  on  Thu Apr 12, 2007  at  03:47 AM
Sorry but i do not waste my money on them. I do not believe of what any of the vampires who follow a bible or anything i am a free vampire who does what she wants i do not pay anyone. Unless i owe them money. I plan on Making money by directing and animating teaching people about the real life of vampires and all the other creatures in the world. And believe me there are many kinds, so many you could not imagine. Thank you.
Posted by Retluc  in  Illinois  on  Fri Apr 13, 2007  at  09:59 PM
Reltuc. To understand the world of vampires, you should find proper contacts, and not someone who profits from the gullibility of others.

And getting defensive is not a good tactics. I'm surprised you're dismissing esoterics as well as science and still talk as if you know more than others. People who talk this big are usually mixing real life and roleplaying together.

I can imagine quite a lot. Claiming you know more than I can imagine seems arrogant. Grains of sand, lass... Realizing you know nothin is the first step.

Here's a hint on the vampire front: When Ramsland was researching, she primarily found thrillseekers and people who used the vampire image to justify sexual deviation or building up a perception of self. She should have looked where the vampire isn't needed.
Posted by Sand  in  now behind the door  on  Sun Apr 15, 2007  at  05:34 PM
Hey, I am so sorry, I just caught my friends on here getting ready to type a message. Sorry if they bugged you to much. They do this sort of thing all the time on my computer. I am so sorry.
Posted by Retluc  in  Illinois  on  Sun Apr 15, 2007  at  08:46 PM
Doesn't anyone realise that there are no such things as REAL vampires? Yes, there are vampiric-type lifestyles, but the undead do not exist.

I, myself LOVE the idea of the vampire. The romantic images it can conjure up are beautiful and exciting but Lestat and Louis don't exist.

This group that calls itself a religion are rip-off merchants, nothng more, nothing less. The guy at the top decided to cash in on a few people who wished it was all true. Sad really, but good luck to him if it's working. I bet he doesn't have to find a job.
Posted by Jo  in  Brighton  on  Mon Apr 16, 2007  at  03:22 AM
Vampires do exist.

Nature had a cool show on bats one time that included the vampire bat. It was very interesting.
Posted by Charybdis  in  Hell  on  Mon Apr 16, 2007  at  10:29 AM
Thanks for that, only I'm talking about the undead. Not bats. No-one on here is talking about bats.
Posted by Jo  in  Brighton  on  Tue Apr 17, 2007  at  08:56 AM
I realize that Jo, but I thought I'd make a little joke. I didn't mean to get your blood boiling over it.
Posted by Charybdis  in  Hell  on  Tue Apr 17, 2007  at  11:04 AM
I thought it was and iteresting joke. Do you know what you get when you cross a vampire with a scarf? A pain in the neck. I don't think it is very funny though I just saw it in a book one night.
Posted by Dude  in  indianapolis, IN  on  Tue Apr 17, 2007  at  09:17 PM
The only thing about this that nearly annoys me, is the fact that some of you who discredit Vampirism as a religious manifestation, and as an actuality, are the same people who practice any other religion with claims of the supernatural. Christians and Catholics will say it is possible for Jesus to die and be born again walking amongst men, and yet it is impossible for a vampire to feed off of the lifeforce of humans... When it comes down to it, all that matters is what each of us as individuals believe. Jo is right in his mind, but I see him/her as completely wrong... And so on, down the list. We each have our beliefs, but no true pursuer of any religion should even feel the need to pressure and demoralize other religions... How can someone who claims to be striving for such holiness as the "Son of Man" be so cruel as to attempt to kill what brings another man joy? Our job is to spread what we know is true, and whether or not the unbelievers taste and find it fulfilling to the soul, is up to them. I implore you all, commune with yourselves before you try preaching to others. This is the wisdom I have gained in life. In your eyes it may be nothing more than folly lies, but I ensure that if you are truly hearing my words then, each letter will touch the reccesses of your very being. I do not claim to do that which I cannot do. I do not claim to be that which I am not. And I shall not reveal my religious orientation because I don't feel that you are open to recieve. Know this, though, I have spoken, and what I have said is said... You may continue to bicker and argue, but no man here is folding. To the wise, you may contact me for any reason at all at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) There is still much for me to learn, so share what wisdom you may have, for even if you do not see the truth in yourselves, I will take what it is that my mind and soul needs. Peace and love to you all, and may the path to each of your heavens be revealed to you all...

My dear friend Jo, I hope you understand that surely no religion encourages the ridicule of another. We must embrace everyone and everthing. That doesn't mean you must believe what others believe, but you cannot defeat your enemies without knowledge of their being.

Sand, I am glad to have read that you possess a wisdom that is nearly lost amongst us. Whatever it is that you practice, it makes you wiser than you may be willing to admit, and thus you have the voice it requires to speak to people of all different walks of life.

To all else, I wish you nothing bur the best in this life, and if your religion preaches some form of immortality, I hope that you are worthy by whatever standards to reach such a gift.

-Dario
Posted by Dario  in  SPAIN  on  Sat Apr 21, 2007  at  11:44 PM
It's not a religion, I can't see that it ever would be a true religion. It is something made-up and fabricated for the money it brings in.
It IS a rip off and I feel for anyone dragged into all this enough to part with their hard earned cash.

There are NO such things as undead that we know of - prove yourself as undead to me if you really are. If you can't, then I rest my case.

Charybdis - you sod. And I thought the pain in the neck thing was funny.

It is something that is either not real or cannot be proved because there are no examples walking among us.
Posted by Jo  in  Brighton  on  Mon Apr 23, 2007  at  10:04 AM
Actually Jo, your reasoning applies equally to most mainstream religions as well since they're all made up and most seem to operate soley for the power and money they bring.

Yes vampires are a myth, but almost all religions are based on myths that are either not real or cannot be proved. The only reason I rate vampire wannabes lower than normal religions is because the whole goth subculture just annoys me. Personal preference.

And damnit, I tried to think of 'pain in the neck, I really did. But it just wouldn't kick out. Stupid brain.
Posted by Charybdis  in  Hell  on  Mon Apr 23, 2007  at  11:10 AM
look guys i hate to let u all in on this but if u really want to find a real "vampire" just look where you would not think they would be for many yrs the holy mother church aka those god be damned catholics have used the "blood of Christ" and his flesh in their services and no one thought much of it but if u believe it with all sincerity by drinking and eating of this "holy?" commune u would slowly become a vampire of Christ but be that as it may i have met many who have shown me MORE than enough real hard proof that the immortal vampire is very much "alive" and thriving in this modern society because of the indifferences and foolish beliefs of the new human world that has sprung up and replaced what used to be a hard place for the true night walkers to live and thrive so before any of you out there in webworld disbelieve in something you have never looked into in the real world think to your self's "maybe i really shouldn't walk down this dark road alone" or you might just get bitten in your dumb arse so may they peace the night be with ALL you real members of my new wonderful family and may all you fools be wary of what might find you when you least suspect it to
Posted by drainsuslowly  in  in the dark corner behind u  on  Fri Apr 27, 2007  at  01:04 AM
Wow, that was mind-numbingly goofy.

Drinking blood doesn't make you a vampire. Try it for yourself if you doubt me, you can purchase animal blood if you really want to try it. And drinking wine that's representing blood* makes even less sense.

*Yes I know that the Catholic Churchs holds that the wine auto-magically transforms into the actual blood of Christ. But that's just silly, isn't it?
Posted by Charybdis  in  Hell  on  Fri Apr 27, 2007  at  10:59 AM
so i was "mind-numbingly goofy." huh? well just so you know i feel that if you are on a site such as this you should be prepared for any kind of comments that may be posted as for proof of other things "mind-numbingly goofy" just take a long inward look at who you claim to be "Charybdis in Hell " so tell us where is this supposed "hell" that you reside in? is it one of the many foolish american city's that tout that name or are you refering to the biblical hell or the norse hades ? or maybe your own private hell that must be the mind of a child that has no sense of logic,reasoning or common sense? sincerly the always "mind-numbingly goofy" drainsuslowly
Posted by drainsuslowly  in  in the dark corner behind u  on  Sat Apr 28, 2007  at  07:31 PM
Well, until you provide this proof that immortal vampires actually exist, I stand by my 'goofy' assertion.

As for my location being Hell, it's a joke. Though if I did happen to live somewhere such as Hell, Montana I'd be perfectly justified in stating so, regardless of your personal feelings in the matter.
Posted by Charybdis  in  Hell  on  Mon Apr 30, 2007  at  11:47 AM
I applaud you for exposing TOV for the money-grubbing sham that it is. I've often thought something similar about the Church of Satan--you know, non-conformist philosophy, but a $100 membership fee. On the other hand, are these organizations any worse than other religions and organizations that also prey on the foolish?
Posted by Atropos de Lutece  in  Havre de Grace  on  Sat May 05, 2007  at  12:05 PM
...Such as Christianity or Catholicism, etc...
Posted by Dario  in  SPAIN  on  Sun May 06, 2007  at  07:10 PM
Man you peeps, you disagree a lot, don't mind my spelling i can't. All most everything comes from a myth, pirates, zombies, warewolves, elves, gods, demons, ghosts, even humans probubly comes from some myths. I agree with all of whay yal say but some thing just seem mosterous! sort of speaking. Thanks for the link by the way. lol Hey do yal mind if i chat with ya eventhough i am not as umm what would you say a person with not as big a vocabulary as your selves. lol
Posted by Never in reality  on  Mon May 07, 2007  at  10:15 PM
look i know that many may not believe in the classical vampire or in the "new age" astral vamp but i mean come on these are the same ppl who dress their kids up for samhain and parade them around bumming candy from others im not saying that i never had a "trick or treating" but i sure as hell dont intend my child to partake of such a strange and rude practice as that and as for "proof" what do you wish for? a ripped out neck and a smiling Nosferatu leering with your own blood dripping off his chin? pllz! i could only wish such a thing on a person such as your self and as far as being a person who would be proud to state that they live in a place named as hell and would have no problem stating it i can only say bahhumbug sir you are why i would love to have the cash needed to leave america for good and trust me i would most certainly never come back it is the same guffawing that you have sown on a site such as this that proves to a person such as myself and many others that most Americans have no sense of humor at all much less anything that truly constitutes fauth thank you all for hearing my rant sincerely Drainsuslowly !!!
Posted by drainsuslowly  in  in the dark corner behind you  on  Thu May 10, 2007  at  11:33 AM
I've studied religion for over 30 years, many of them from the inside. I believe that a desire for supernatural mystery is a valid human hunger.

I encourage it's exploration.

but...

I've read all four books of the Temple of the Vampire and much of it is claptrap. They claim that Jesus died in battle in the First Century... kind of like the unsubstantiated claim that he showed up in the good old USA via Mormonism.

At first I was impressed with the author, until I realized the limited range of his vision. Most of this is rewarmed hermetics, psychology and pure schucketerism, without any real answers. Much of it is double speak.

For example, let's look at the section on summoning the undead (they seem pretty dead to me if you have to summon them from the ether): The author instructs, "Breathe in and out to summon the undead spirits." Then, later in the book we're told, ways to tell that the undead are present "include tingling in your extremities."

In Medical texts this is called hyperventilation, and tingling in the extremities is a common manifestation.

Also, it is a debate technique, by the way, to challenge people not to take you on faith, then feed them bullcrap. It undermines one's natural inclination to skepticism.

Hence the defenders who say, "We are challenged to test everything we are taught," while still promoting the idea that they can inhale other people's souls. Even their leader warns them that much of what he says "may be fact or fancy."

If you want to prove your claims of physical immortality then please produce a 500 year old undead person. If you cannot do that, then shut up.

I suppose the vampires found golden tablets in the woods. Unfortunately, they never explain how they know all of this stuff. In other words, Nemo, who I personally know to be trained in psychology and hypnotism makes it up as he goes along.

Defending this silly scam of a "vampire" religion by arguing that it is as valid as Christianity is ridiculous. Bram Stoker must be turning in his grave. Why would anyone with church experience want to be like a Christian, or hold this up as a good thing for the thinking person???

From my point of view the Pagans and Satanists have it right. There may be gods and goddesses... or maybe not. As for life on Earth, the only testable law is Tooth and Claw.

All else occurs in the twilight.
Posted by Mystic  in  Mittgard  on  Fri May 11, 2007  at  06:03 PM
Mystic first of all i have no problem at all with you expressing your views in fact i welcome it but to say such things as "I suppose his lawyer told him to add this, in case one of his plastic fang wearing followers brings daddy's shotgun to school.
" kinda gives the public the opinion that every "goth" kid out there role plays being a vampire to the point that they are a danger to the public not so!!! i am a solitary satanist and have been hated ,searched illegally ,harassed and in general socially abused my whole life for being in their own words "different" and to hear some one who agrees with the satanic view of life and faith yet be so foolish as to act Christian by making false statements such as that and grouping everyone who is a mature responsible adult with an alternative life style or faith as one of those stereotypes of person well...all i can say is may the powers of common sense lay hold of you so strongly that it breaks your neck for you are no better than the hick scum that i have had to deal with in my past as im sure many others have to also
sincerely
drainsuslowly p.s next time you make a statement such as that pllz consult your own lawyer as to charges YOU may face for slanderous statements thnx
Posted by drainsuslowly  in  in the dark corner behind you  on  Sun May 13, 2007  at  02:37 PM
Comments: Page 1 of 89 pages  1 2 3 >  Last ›