The Gallery of Fake Viral Images
Stotham, Massachusetts: the town that didn't exist, 1920
A black lion: real or fake?
What do the lines on Solo cups mean?
Actress who claimed she was kidnapped by puritans, 1950
Cursed by Allah
The damp spot that hoaxed a city, 1912
The Society for Indecency to Naked Animals, 1959
The Sandpaper Test, 1960
Vilcabamba, the town of very old people, 1978
USB-Powered Chainsaw
A new hoax website advertises the World's First USB-powered Chainsaw:

Current materials used on bodies of chainsaws are too heavy for office use. Lighter materials, however, could cause the vertical axis of the guide bar to shift when pressure is applied onto the saw chain. Research and development introduced several innovations to offer an optimal blend of tough plastic and lightweight alloy.

It's said to be shipping in September. The real question is who created this page and why. It's registered anonymously (typical for a hoax site). We'll just have to wait and see who takes credit for it. (via wired)
Categories: Technology, Websites
Posted by The Curator on Thu Jul 09, 2009
And what exactly would you be cutting with this anyway?
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Thu Jul 09, 2009  at  03:02 AM
Cranky, you could do some serious cost-cutting with one of those babies! smile
Posted by D F Stuckey  in  Auckland New Zealand  on  Thu Jul 09, 2009  at  07:21 AM
CMG: I think it's for dealing with any pesky zombies that bother you at work*.

That being said, I'd buy one in a heartbeat, just to have sitting on the desk.

*one should always make sure that zombies aren't just fellow workers who have not yet had coffee.
Posted by Robin Bobcat  in  Californian Wierdo  on  Thu Jul 09, 2009  at  08:19 AM
Actually, I may have found out its true purpose.. if not the one it was actually made for, then the one it *should* be made for:

Posted by Robin Bobcat  in  Californian Wierdo  on  Thu Jul 09, 2009  at  09:50 AM
Down at the bottom, Pre-Order has been closed, and the true purpose of the site has been revealed!

Viral marketing for a responsible cause.

I won't spoil it for you here. It's actually clever, so go have a look...
Posted by Vincent  on  Thu Jul 09, 2009  at  03:15 PM
Ha! Pretty funny!

(Mac OS version is virus-free and installs like a champ. Now to put it on my wife's computer...)
Posted by Frosted Donut  in  Mercer Island  on  Thu Jul 09, 2009  at  07:50 PM
Robin Bobcat - FTW!!!! LOL

Now, if only the made a Boomstick controller, with walnut stock . . . smile
Posted by D F Stuckey  in  Auckland New Zealand  on  Thu Jul 09, 2009  at  09:13 PM
Oh. Religous propoganda is it?

Well, I suppose it's OK to conserve paper . . . but given that 63% of all new plantings of trees worldwide are financed by papermakers, that all paper in Europe and most Western countries is made from trees *specifically planted* for the purpose, that the area of plantation forest in the USA is 20 million hectares greater than in the 1920s, and that it takes more carbon emmitting power generation to store and generate computer records than paper ones ( Which latter also sequester carbon out of the atmosphere for long terms ) . . . then I would tend to dispute the point being made here.
Still, you cannot argue with those with strong faith in their beliefs, as the Indiogs and Christians here often prove. smile
Posted by D F Stuckey  in  Auckland New Zealand  on  Thu Jul 09, 2009  at  09:35 PM
I Came, I Saw, I Hoaxed.
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Fri Jul 10, 2009  at  12:31 PM
And we've come full circle.
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Fri Jul 10, 2009  at  07:40 PM
I heard about Mac OS that it is better for desktop computer and it works as well. I would like to buy it.
Thanks!
Posted by Lonnie May  in  US  on  Fri Jul 17, 2009  at  04:40 AM
I'm commander of a HAZMAT Team and I have just one question...

When, oh when will they FINALLY release the i-Jaws-Of-Life???
Posted by allison  in  Washington DC  on  Thu Jul 23, 2009  at  09:03 AM