The Cradle of the Deep, a literary hoax, 1929
The disumbrationist art hoax, 1924
Dead Body of Loch Ness Monster Found, 1972
Sober Sue, the woman who never smiled, 1907
The Nazi Air Marker Hoax, 1942
The worms inside your face
Loch Ness Monster Hoaxes
Prof. Wingard's Death Ray Hoax, 1876
The Instant Color TV Hoax, 1962
'Solar Armor' freezes man in Nevada Desert, 1874
USA Today Photo Request
I just received this request from USA Today. I'm not sure how to respond to it. Any suggestions?

Hello,
We are doing a story on 10 great places that have fools in their name. Do
you have any handout photographs of the exterior or interior of the museum?
Thanks so much,
Life Picture Desk
USA TODAY
Categories: Miscellaneous, Photos/Videos
Posted by The Curator on Mon Mar 21, 2005
Hey!!! send them a picture of your bathroom!!!! Make sure the Jackalope is in there.
Posted by X  in  McKinney, TX  on  Mon Mar 21, 2005  at  04:44 PM
And what do they mean by "have fools in their name."??
Posted by X  in  McKinney, TX  on  Mon Mar 21, 2005  at  04:46 PM
Don't fall for the HOAX!!!!

DELETE!!!!!!!!!!!!

okay, take a chill pill amy

hee hee
Posted by thunder  in  England  on  Mon Mar 21, 2005  at  04:50 PM
I suggest making a photoshop contest of your own... get someone to make the outside of the Museum of Hoaxes... as if it were a real place. I also like the bathroom idea. lol
Posted by Casey  on  Mon Mar 21, 2005  at  04:56 PM
I would send them the image I have up on the 'About Museum' page, but I don't have it in high enough resolution.
Posted by The Curator  in  San Diego  on  Mon Mar 21, 2005  at  05:10 PM
Is it actually FROM USA Today?

Spoofin's not that hard, and it just kinda seems like something someone who threatens to send you boxes would do.

Seeing as how you said (in "about me") that USA Today has previously interviewed you, would they really think you have an actual MUSEUM built since the last time you communicated?

And I'm still trying to figure out where they found "fool" in "Museum of Hoaxes".

So, myself, I would drag out photoshop and paste the MOH logo above the white-house entrance, and send them THAT. And it would be what they deserved, after not doing any research before sending an email, that is assuming of course, that USA Today sent it.

I would have to imagine that the people at USA Today would be a little more business-like, also.
Posted by Rod  in  the land of smarties.  on  Mon Mar 21, 2005  at  05:13 PM
WOW, diod I just make a colossal ASS of myself. After all the complaining I do that nobody reads the entire website before posting, I seem to have, until now, entirely missed the page where you have info on the actual building.

The redness of my face cannot be expressed with the English language.

red face

Talk about making myself look like a total tool.
Posted by Rod  in  the land of smarties.  on  Mon Mar 21, 2005  at  05:17 PM
Outside: Screen shot of the front page.
Inside: Screen shot of the view-source of the front page.

/confused too
Posted by Splarka  on  Mon Mar 21, 2005  at  05:17 PM
I believe, Rod, that the Museum consists of Alex's house and not much more. The picture he has is not the real museum. I think he just dredged it up somewhere 'cause it looked cool.
Posted by Charybdis  in  Hell  on  Mon Mar 21, 2005  at  05:20 PM
I think it is real. I left out the name of the actual person who sent the email to me. USA Today is a big organization, so just because one reporter from there once interviewed me, doesn't me anyone else there would remember that.
Posted by The Curator  in  San Diego  on  Mon Mar 21, 2005  at  05:25 PM
Send them a picture of the White House smile
Posted by David Elliott  in  Northern Ireland  on  Mon Mar 21, 2005  at  05:25 PM
It can't be the White House because I want it to be something they might actually print. The White House is too recognizable.
Posted by The Curator  in  San Diego  on  Mon Mar 21, 2005  at  05:28 PM
Some good pictures here

I especially like this one.
Museum
Posted by Charybdis  in  Hell  on  Mon Mar 21, 2005  at  05:35 PM
Send them a picture of Baby Boy Bulmash, or a shot of Mad Dog Gnzbrg's Butt Floss dispenser station... You asked...
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Mon Mar 21, 2005  at  05:36 PM
So, either way, I made an ass of myself with ONE of those posts...

red face

Thinking of this as a real request from them puts it in a whole new light...

I'm still wondering where the fool is hidden, though.
Posted by Rod  in  the land of smarties.  on  Mon Mar 21, 2005  at  05:39 PM
I think I spotted one Rod.

cool smile
Posted by Charybdis  in  Hell  on  Mon Mar 21, 2005  at  05:40 PM
Here's a nice one they might actually believe. I like that fact that it's tilted just a little.

Posted by Charybdis  in  Hell  on  Mon Mar 21, 2005  at  05:47 PM
Yes, yes, yes.

I do not disagree.

At least, not today. I have proven myself rather deficient in the ol gray matter on this one.

How about the "Amityville Horror" house? Fairly recognizable, but not to all. And it's alreday been the subject of ONE hoax, why not another?

I'll go back to beating my head off of the wall now.
Posted by Rod  in  the land of smarties.  on  Mon Mar 21, 2005  at  05:47 PM

That one's good, but it looks like a military academy with the flags and all; you need something that looks simple and small, perhaps even just a normal victorian-style terraced house with a blue circle on the outside, or whatever equivalent there is in America.

Hey look, it's the Brighton fishing museum:
Posted by Ashley Pomeroy  on  Mon Mar 21, 2005  at  06:10 PM
Where in the name Museum of Hoaxes does this person see the word "fool"?

Are you sure someone isn't pulling an April Fool's prank on you, Alex?
Posted by Myst  on  Mon Mar 21, 2005  at  06:57 PM
This is a great opportunity to hoax USA Today. Send in a photo of a building (take a picture of a masonic temple or something) and give them a fake address to some location in San Diego (the zoo, for example).
Make sure to throw in the info about the pancake breakfast every Thursday!
Posted by Chris Carlisle  on  Mon Mar 21, 2005  at  07:41 PM
You could use a picture of Suzzallo Library from the University of Washington. A gothic building yet clearly not a cathedral.

Posted by Saint Cad  on  Mon Mar 21, 2005  at  08:38 PM
If you do, make sure to change the name to something like img00351.jpg or one of those digital camera default image names.

Like I need to give hoax advice to the museum curator!
Posted by Chris Carlisle  on  Mon Mar 21, 2005  at  09:12 PM
I think you should come up with something they'll print. Think about it, the Museum of Hoaxes, involved in a 'hoax.' Can't beat that.

Though the bathroom idea does have some appeal.
Posted by lilad  in  Canada  on  Mon Mar 21, 2005  at  09:29 PM
if that is the letter verbatim, i'd have to agree with whoever said they didn't seem too professional.
heck my first letter to you alex, was more business like than that.

send them a photo of a barn, and claim it's out by A51.
Posted by MrKurto  on  Mon Mar 21, 2005  at  09:38 PM
I've received lots of emails from reporters. They all tend to be quite informal. I would have found it unusual if the email was more 'professional'.

I like the picture of the Brighton fishing museum, but I don't have the photoshop skills necessary to change the sign in front of it.
Posted by The Curator  in  San Diego  on  Mon Mar 21, 2005  at  09:48 PM
And I don't know what the guy meant by 10 great places that have fools in their names. I'm assuming he's a photo editor who was told to find pictures of '10 great places for april fools' and somehow misheard it.

Or maybe they realize that the Museum isn't a real museum, and that's what they're really looking for: 10 places whose names are jokes (or fools).

In other words, I have no clue.
Posted by The Curator  in  San Diego  on  Mon Mar 21, 2005  at  10:01 PM
You should definitely send in some photos of a real building. Perhaps something slightly famous so that it will be worse for them should they print it. My brother suggests the Amityville House.

Anyone else have any ideas?
Posted by ErikPSO  on  Mon Mar 21, 2005  at  10:11 PM
Meh, just wander on down to a nice-looking victorian home or something.., possibly one with a sign already in front of it, just take the photo such that the sign is at an angle so it can't be read..

Could explain that interior shots aren't really available, pending renovations, but you can show some of the exhibits..

Get one of those doll display domes, and a scrap of black velvet. Then have (for example) a small curl of bacon resting inside it, well-lit, and a small card reading 'Van Gogh's Ear', then have an blurb explaining how this was the actual item used to fool people at an art museum...
Posted by Bobcat  in  Californian Wierdo  on  Mon Mar 21, 2005  at  10:17 PM
On a side note sort of related to getting emails from reporters, I forgot to tell you Alex that a women from an MTV show on high school hoaxes aparently uses your site to find new stories for their show (I don't remember what it's called though). Just a few days after a post I did awhile back I got an email from a women working on the MTV show who wanted to get more detailed information from me about my post. I just found it rather interesting.
Posted by Razela  in  Chicago, IL  on  Tue Mar 22, 2005  at  01:18 AM
Comments: Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >