Taco Bells buys the Liberty Bell, 1996
The Society for Indecency to Naked Animals, 1959
The Lovely Feejee Mermaid, 1842
Tourist Guy 9/11 Hoax, Sep 2001
The Nobody For President Campaign, 1940 to Present
Snowball the Monster Cat, 2000
Actress who claimed she was kidnapped by puritans, 1950
Samsung invents the on/off switch
Rare planetary alignment decreases gravity, 1976
Update About the Site and the Book
I thought I had reached a point where I was almost done with the book and would have more time to focus on the site again. Sadly, I was mistaken. It turned out that there was still a LOT left to do (clearing permissions for images, finishing a few chapters, editing, etc.). So that's why I haven't been posting much stuff lately. And I might as well admit that until July, I may not be able to post anything more because I really need to focus totally on the book. But come July, I have to be done, because my wife and I are going on vacation then (a long-planned vacation), and she's told me that I WILL NOT still be working on the book then, so that's pretty much an absolute deadline. So I should be able to resume posting then.

My wife and I will be doing a driving tour of hoaxes and wineries in the Northeastern U.S. After spending July 4 with my parents, we'll be driving up to Grovers Mill in New Jersey (where the Martians landed in 1938), then on up to Cooperstown, NY where the Cardiff Giant is. We'll next spend some time in the Niagara Falls area (visit some wineries in that region), then head over to Detroit where the fake Cardiff giant is. Next we drive to the Forevertron antigravity machine in Wisconsin, and finish up in Minneapolis where we're visiting family. Hopefully we'll also find lots of other interesting stuff along the way. I'm bringing along my laptop, so I should be able to post pictures of the trip as I go along (if I can find wireless internet connection along the way).

On another topic, after much debate my publisher and I have finally settled on a title for the book. My original title was the FAKE REALITY FIELD GUIDE, but that got canned because it was deemed not fun/quirky enough. So instead we've settled on HIPPO EATS DWARF: A FIELD GUIDE TO HOAXES AND OTHER FORMS OF B.S.

Hippo Eats Dwarf refers to the media hoax of the same name. We chose it basically because it's such a strange phrase, so it provides some indication that the book is full of strange things. I was a little worried that the dwarf (or 'little people') community would take offense, but I hope not. 'A field guide to hoaxes' is obvious. 'And other forms of b.s.' was settled on after a lot of discussion. The book is full of things that are kind of hoaxy, but not quite hoaxes: botox masks, Michael Jackson's nose, imaginary girlfriends, bizarre reality tv concepts, staged political events, etc. I was referring to all of this as 'fake reality', but my publisher convinced me that most people browsing books in a bookstore wouldn't know what that meant. So we settled on 'b.s.' instead because there seems to be a surge of interest in studies about b.s. (such as Harry Frankfurt's On Bullshit, and Laura Penny's Your Call is Important To Us: The Truth About Bullshit). The marketing people at my publisher figured that 'b.s.' would better convey what I was talking about. Plus, it's funnier.

I'm still kind of fond of 'The Fake Reality Field Guide', but my publisher is probably right that not enough people would understand what I was referring to.
Categories: Miscellaneous
Posted by The Curator on Tue Jun 21, 2005
it sounds great...cant wait for it to come out
Posted by RAMONESxMANIA  on  Tue Jun 21, 2005  at  11:51 AM
Hm, you should have included something about ch*vs in the title. Then you would have been more Google friendly. smile
Posted by Charybdis  in  Hell  on  Tue Jun 21, 2005  at  12:09 PM
I hope you remembered to dedicate your book to me, your one true british fan who pops up now and again but avidly checks for more stuff every day!
wow.yayness.
Posted by thunder  in  England  on  Tue Jun 21, 2005  at  12:12 PM
I think "Hippo Eats Dwarf" will stand out nicely on the shelves. I know I'll buy it.
Posted by AqueousBoy  on  Tue Jun 21, 2005  at  12:14 PM
Ahem.
One true British fan?
Don't make me fight you!

Anyway, joking aside, I can't wait until it comes out, Alex. And I said as much in the review of the first book that I wrote on amazon.co.uk today.

smile
And I love the name!
Posted by Boo  in  The Land of the Haggii...  on  Tue Jun 21, 2005  at  12:38 PM
Sounds great, Alex. smile Do we get to order signed ones through you again?

I'm verrrry excited. smile
Posted by Winona  in  USA  on  Tue Jun 21, 2005  at  02:14 PM
"AND OTHER FORMS OF B.S."? Just how many chapters are you devoting to covering the posts of Hairy Houdini?
Posted by BugbearSloth  in  earth, 3rd planet, sol system  on  Tue Jun 21, 2005  at  04:00 PM
When can we pre-order those signed copies from you? Huh? Huh? But I want to give you my money now! Can't wait to see it.
Posted by Tru  in  Other Words  on  Tue Jun 21, 2005  at  06:28 PM
Bugbearsloth said:"'AND OTHER FORMS OF B.S.'? Just how many chapters are you devoting to covering the posts of Hairy Houdini?"...hey, hey, hey...I do not Bullshit in any way, shape or form, just for the record... I do, however, cowpoop, moocrap, Gurnseyturd, and calfcaca now and then..."Bullshit"...hmmmf...I'm offally offended
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Tue Jun 21, 2005  at  07:17 PM
Add my name to the ever growing list of those who wish to buy an autographed copy from you Alex.

Take care and don't forget to take a break to stop and smell a rose once in a while.
Posted by Myst  on  Tue Jun 21, 2005  at  07:35 PM
Is the book for real, or just another hoax?
Posted by wdl  in  honolulu  on  Tue Jun 21, 2005  at  07:52 PM
I'll join the queue for the book too! smile
Posted by Smerk  in  to mischief  on  Tue Jun 21, 2005  at  08:25 PM
well while you at it, go ahead and put me up there too
Posted by RAMONESxMANIA  on  Tue Jun 21, 2005  at  09:21 PM
I really want to go see the Forevertron now. I'd never heard of it before.

Actually I'd rather build my own when I'm a crazy old retiree...
Posted by Barghest  on  Tue Jun 21, 2005  at  11:00 PM
Hey, Alex, you forgot Penn and Teller's show on Showtime called Bullshit!
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Wed Jun 22, 2005  at  03:52 AM
Paneras have wireless in their cafe's. If you can find a Panera Bread...you've got a connection.
Posted by Maegan  in  Tampa, FL - USA  on  Wed Jun 22, 2005  at  07:13 AM
I used to work in the same complex as Marvin's Marvelous Machanical Museum. Everyone around there called the place "Marvelous Marvin's". Anyway, bring your quarters and have some fun while you're there!
Posted by Nat  on  Wed Jun 22, 2005  at  08:24 AM
a lot of holiday inns have wireless access called hot air
Posted by RAMONESxMANIA  on  Wed Jun 22, 2005  at  08:42 AM
Remember, My name is spelled with a "ph" not a "v".
S-T-E-P-H-E-N
and my last name is the same as the BOOK store.
W-A-L-D-E-N

and if you would like to include the "Sir", that is fine with me and encouraged..... cheese
Posted by X  in  McKinney, TX  on  Wed Jun 22, 2005  at  09:25 AM
Unfortunately, I don't like the "Hippo eats Dwarf" thing........
Posted by X  in  McKinney, TX  on  Wed Jun 22, 2005  at  09:32 AM
As a "little" hippo (the term "dwarf" being extemely insensitive), I find the title doubly offensive. I call on hippos of all sizes to stop eating humans long enough to *Bruuuuuup* boycott this horrible book, especially in those areas heavily populated by midgets and fidgets.
Posted by booch  on  Wed Jun 22, 2005  at  12:32 PM
come on...people who get all offended should chill out
Posted by RAMONESxMANIA  on  Wed Jun 22, 2005  at  04:16 PM
I'm offended that you told us to chill out. I oughta put you in a glass sphere, put that in a brass egg, and use the juicer bug booster array to generate enough ionic free static in the capacitors to lauch you into the imaginatosphere! Then you'd have to have long boring talks with the Secret Masters in their steam-powered balloons. Because that's where they hang out on Tuesdays, you know.
Posted by Barghest  on  Wed Jun 22, 2005  at  09:19 PM
Maybe a stupid question, but why not just "Museum of Hoaxes"? Other titles are too wordy, I think.
Posted by Jared  on  Thu Jun 23, 2005  at  03:13 AM
Jared, it's actually the name of Alex's first book.
Posted by Smerk  in  to mischief  on  Thu Jun 23, 2005  at  03:18 AM
Oh sorry, I assumed it was just about hoaxes... um, how about, "Alex's: Believe It And You're Not Paying Attention" !! Haha, hey yeah!
Posted by Jared  on  Thu Jun 23, 2005  at  03:42 AM
Way to go Alex!

Apart from Hippo's, does it have any Llama's in it????
Posted by LaMa  in  Europe  on  Thu Jun 23, 2005  at  08:56 AM
Thanks for explaining where you've been, but, where's the Dusty girl gone?
Posted by Killer Bob  in  London, England  on  Fri Jun 24, 2005  at  06:10 AM
I like the title.
As I think I said here before, "Hippo Eats Dwarf" has got to be the greatest headline since "Jesus Wept," or at least since "Stix Nix Hix Pix."
Posted by Big Gary in Dallas  in  Dallas, Texas  on  Fri Jun 24, 2005  at  10:51 AM
it could be museum of hoaxes II

but thats a bit boring

hippo eats dwarf sticks out
Posted by RAMONESxMANIA  on  Fri Jun 24, 2005  at  01:30 PM
Comments: Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >