Jernegan's Gold Accumulator Scam, 1898
The Great Space Monkey Hoax, 1953
Prankster causes volcano to erupt, 1974
Lord Gordon-Gordon, robber of the robber barons, 1871
Loch Ness Monster Hoaxes
Life discovered on the moon, 1835
The worms inside your face
The Cottingley Fairies, 1917
Eccentric's last prank, 66 years after his death, 1900
Script of Casablanca rejected, 1982
Universal Bullshit Detector Watch
image I received the following email from legendary hoaxer Joey Skaggs:
I am very pleased to announce the launch of my latest endeavor. Unlike many of my previous satirical projects, this one is real, no bull. It's the Universal Bullshit Detector Watch.
Joey sent me a follow-up email to let me know that he'll be sending me a complimentary Bullshit Detector Watch. Yes, sometimes running a website about hoaxes has great benefits. I'm definitely looking forward to getting my hands on one of these. I can think of many uses for it. It also seems like it would make a great Christmas present for a skeptic. They cost $50, which is the same price as the Swatch watch I bought a few months ago.
Categories: Future/Time
Posted by The Curator on Sun Nov 12, 2006
As it would seem this item is wearer activated, it could only be as accurate as the users hunch! I gotta get me one of these! It would beat the hip-waders...
Posted by Christopher  in  Joplin, Missouri  on  Mon Nov 13, 2006  at  07:21 AM
Obviously, the target market for this product is people who don't have functioning bullshit detectors of their own.
Posted by Big Gary  in  Waxahachie, Texas  on  Mon Nov 13, 2006  at  12:49 PM
Nice. I so want one of those. If I had $50 of course, which I don't...I need a job.
Posted by Razela  in  Chicago, IL  on  Mon Nov 13, 2006  at  01:28 PM
Actually, it relies on people's functioning bullshit detectors. You press the button when you hear the crap, and then it makes a sound. Not the other way 'round. This is a gag gift that will do well as Christmas presents for paw's and granpaw's.
Posted by thephrog  on  Tue Nov 14, 2006  at  12:25 PM
I think you miss my point, phrog. I was trying to say that people who are able to recognize complete hooey would not be likely to pay $50 for a "Bullshit Detector Watch."
If this sounds like a good deal to you, I have some Bioenergetics Gas Pills you might want to buy.
Posted by Big Gary  in  Waxahachie, Texas  on  Sun Nov 19, 2006  at  02:43 PM