BMW's April Fool's Day Hoaxes
Burger King's Left-Handed Whopper Hoax, 1998
The Great Space Monkey Hoax, 1953
A black lion: real or fake?
Snowball the Monster Cat, 2000
Van Gogh's ear exhibited, 1935
The Diaphote, a television hoax, 1880
The Crown Prince Regent of Thulia, 1954
The Hoaxing Hitchhiker, 1941
The Great Electric Sugar Swindle, 1884
Universal Bullshit Detector Watch
image I received the following email from legendary hoaxer Joey Skaggs:
I am very pleased to announce the launch of my latest endeavor. Unlike many of my previous satirical projects, this one is real, no bull. It's the Universal Bullshit Detector Watch.
Joey sent me a follow-up email to let me know that he'll be sending me a complimentary Bullshit Detector Watch. Yes, sometimes running a website about hoaxes has great benefits. I'm definitely looking forward to getting my hands on one of these. I can think of many uses for it. It also seems like it would make a great Christmas present for a skeptic. They cost $50, which is the same price as the Swatch watch I bought a few months ago.
Categories: Future/Time
Posted by The Curator on Mon Nov 13, 2006
As it would seem this item is wearer activated, it could only be as accurate as the users hunch! I gotta get me one of these! It would beat the hip-waders...
Posted by Christopher  in  Joplin, Missouri  on  Mon Nov 13, 2006  at  08:21 AM
Obviously, the target market for this product is people who don't have functioning bullshit detectors of their own.
Posted by Big Gary  in  Waxahachie, Texas  on  Mon Nov 13, 2006  at  01:49 PM
Nice. I so want one of those. If I had $50 of course, which I don't...I need a job.
Posted by Razela  in  Chicago, IL  on  Mon Nov 13, 2006  at  02:28 PM
Actually, it relies on people's functioning bullshit detectors. You press the button when you hear the crap, and then it makes a sound. Not the other way 'round. This is a gag gift that will do well as Christmas presents for paw's and granpaw's.
Posted by thephrog  on  Tue Nov 14, 2006  at  01:25 PM
I think you miss my point, phrog. I was trying to say that people who are able to recognize complete hooey would not be likely to pay $50 for a "Bullshit Detector Watch."
If this sounds like a good deal to you, I have some Bioenergetics Gas Pills you might want to buy.
Posted by Big Gary  in  Waxahachie, Texas  on  Sun Nov 19, 2006  at  03:43 PM