Two views from an airplane windo
One of these might be fake. Can you guess which?

Update: My apologies. Apparently quite a few people didn't realize I was being sarcastic when I said "one of these might be fake." I thought it was pretty obvious both of them were fake. (Note that I didn't say 'only one is fake'.)

To make up for it, here's a third view from an airplane window, and this one is definitely real. This photo was taken on July 13, 2004 aboard an AirTran flight from Atlanta to Orlando with 110 people on board. The left engine cowling came off soon after take off, but the plane managed to turn around and land safely.

Categories: Photos/Videos
Posted by The Curator on Fri Jan 11, 2008
They are both "fake" in the sense that their is not really a giraffe outside the plane and the guy in the engine is two photos put together. The main one being a shot out the plane window at high altitudewhile the guy has been cut out from another shot and dropped into this main one (see the chunky edge around the bottom of his boots? That is from a quick and dirty cut and paste).

I'm a professional photoillustrator and I'd stake your life on this. :O
Posted by Biff Hendrickson  in  Behind the Garage  on  Fri Jan 11, 2008  at  05:14 PM
I'd say it's a class action
Posted by peter harris  in  kent uk  on  Fri Jan 11, 2008  at  05:25 PM
One of them "might" be fake, and the other *is* fake.
Posted by Jim  on  Fri Jan 11, 2008  at  05:27 PM
The giraffe has no shadows on the left of the image which it would if the sun was to the right and casting a shodow to the left. Also the shadows in the image start to converge, but the suns light acts more like a directional light where all shadows are cast at the same angle. Also there are pixel artifacts around the giraffe which are not consistent with the rest of the image.

The man in the plane is fake as the frosting on the window is not eveident where the person is when examined in a paint program. Also the engine mentioned that being a GE CFM56-3C1 is not the same as that in the image. The CFM56-3C1 has a split gear box which is either side of the engine due to the engine being so low to the groud, this makes the bottom if the engine cowling flat, which is not what we see in the image. Also if you use a paint program you can see where the editor has cut the platform which the shoe was on and has left a flat rather ugly error in the image. I believe the plane has just taken off from a snow covered airport and that is why there is snow on the engine and frost on the engine nacelle (casing). The man seems to be positioned wrongly and looks as if he should be in the bottom of the casing but is actually place slightly to high.

Cheers I used to work for an areo engine manufacutre which did not develope an enigne for the successful 737 due to the expense of developing a split gear box, they thought the project would not be all that successful, just shows how wrong you can be.

Plus as mentioned the site author has posted that both are fake, but I couldn't resist posting just for fun.
Posted by Neil Nicholson  on  Fri Jan 11, 2008  at  05:33 PM
The man in the engine might be fake, but the giraffe definitely is.
Posted by jjs810  on  Fri Jan 11, 2008  at  05:40 PM
I actually like the real one best. That'd be a bit disturbing to watch happen on a flight gulp
Posted by seth  in  NYC  on  Fri Jan 11, 2008  at  07:04 PM
Just as amusing is posting two genuinely real photos and asking which is the fake, in the same way. :D
Posted by Dana Sibera  in  NSW  on  Fri Jan 11, 2008  at  07:19 PM
this reminds me of the april 1974 issue of national lampoon. the cover is a classic:

Posted by bruceo  on  Fri Jan 11, 2008  at  08:07 PM
I can't beleive ANYBODY thought either was real... I cut and pasted 'em to email as a joke within minutes of them being posted here on this site...
Posted by Christopher  in  Warm, sunny Florida.  on  Fri Jan 11, 2008  at  10:51 PM
Very funny. I cannot believe that anyone didn't immediately get the humor. C'mon people - loosen up! smile
Posted by Funny  on  Sat Jan 12, 2008  at  12:58 AM
you guys are idiots and immature anyways the airtran pic is real when something broke on the mont for the egine, how do I know? my girlfreind and i was on that flight
Posted by tim  on  Thu Aug 19, 2010  at  03:29 AM
Comments: Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2
Commenting is not available in this channel entry.