The Hoaxing Hitchhiker, 1941
Mencken's fake history of the bathtub, 1917
The boy with the golden tooth, 1593
The Society for Indecency to Naked Animals, 1959
Loch Ness Monster Hoaxes
Bonsai Kittens, 2000
Did Poe say 'The best things in life make you sweaty'?
Dog wins art contest, 1974
Samsung invents the on/off switch
Rachael Ray cooks her family and her dog
Time Travel Mutual Fund
I just received this rather non-humorous letter from the folks over at the Time Travel Mutual Fund:

Hello Alex,
I see you have our site, The Time Travel Fund, listed in your museum
of hoaxes.(www.TimeTravelFund.com)
I am writing you to ask that you remove us from your site. We are not
a hoax; we are serious in what we are attempting to do. Your site
lists us as being a hoax as if it were a fact, not as simply being
your personal opinion.
While you are certainly entitled to your opinion, presenting it as a
fact and not an opinion is slander.

This raises a dilemma for me. I do, in fact, list the Time Travel Fund in my gallery of hoax websites, having assumed that the site was a kind of cute, tongue-in-cheek idea whose main purpose was to sell $10 certificates that people could hang on their wall as a joke, rather than really being in the business of fund management. But if they're perfectly serious about their time travel fund, then that makes it a kooky site, rather than a hoax site. Should I keep the site on the list? I'm not sure.

I'm inclined to keep it on there just to annoy them because I don't like their legalistic threat about me slandering them. But I think the best thing to do would be to keep their site in the list, but add a disclaimer noting that while I thought the Fund was a joke, the fund managers themselves seem to take their task very seriously.
Categories: Future/Time, Websites
Posted by The Curator on Fri Aug 20, 2004
I find this concept very interesting and intriging.$10 for a chance for freedom,total financial securement and a chance to star a new life in the distant.Personally I think it would be worth it.I hope I am permitted to join.I just donot want to get left behind.To all nay sayers donot knock something until you try it,and I have a strong feeling this is ''it''.I really,really would like to join if I am permitted.I recently had my e-mail account broken into(about 1year ago) and someone posing as me wrote some horrible stuff say it is a scam.Believe it is not,just cannot explain it(more of a gut and intuitional feeling)but it is not a scam one bit.I since changed my e-mail password(randomly) to prevent a next hacking into.
Posted by Lothario John-Ross-Johnson  in  Nassau,Bahamas  on  Thu Jul 17, 2008  at  03:16 PM
This ''Time Travel Fund'' is a 100% scam.This man should be thrown in jail.Do not buy into this scam.Tell all of your family and friends so that they donot become victims of this idiotic,assisinine scheme/hoax.
Posted by Kalel  in  somewhere out there  on  Thu Aug 14, 2008  at  08:47 PM
Hahahaha, I can't believe it! they have the gust to write you and ask you to REMOVE THEM from the hoax section... OMG!
Posted by Uri  in  Chile  on  Sat Aug 30, 2008  at  10:25 PM
Ask yourselves ... are you simply acting on your deterministic values ? Most of posts in here seem to be based on some doctrine of predestination thinking.
Posted by Bill  in  Tacoma  on  Thu Oct 23, 2008  at  01:55 AM
In fact the apperance of this artical to begin with is determinism. Your all determined to prove the world is flat and that the sun and indeed the universe revolves around the earth.
Posted by Bill  in  Tacoma  on  Thu Oct 23, 2008  at  02:05 AM
Come again in laymans terms?.What does''Your all determined to prove the world is flat and that the sun and indeed the universe revolves around the earth''means and how is this connected to this exactly?.
Posted by Lothario Johnson  in  Bahamas  on  Thu Oct 23, 2008  at  02:09 AM
Most of the posters on here seem to be having a struggle with the concept of free thinking. "You
Posted by Bill  in  Tacoma  on  Thu Oct 23, 2008  at  09:32 PM
in more blunt words ... close the bible and open your mind.
Posted by Bill  in  Tacoma  on  Thu Oct 23, 2008  at  09:37 PM
timetravelfund.com states they'd bring you back in time based on different situations. Thus, meaning they will not bring you back to a time that YOU want to go to, but a time that THEY want to bring you to. So what's the point in that? They might revive you when you're really old and want to die.

Also, the disclaimers have "scam" written all over them. The most obvious states that there is no guarantee that it will work. So if doesn't work, you can't even sue them because they already have a disclaimer saying there's a good chance it won't work.

If I want to go back in time, I want to go back in time to a time I WANT. I would want to use a time machine to go back to a set date that I want.
Posted by Duke Devlin  on  Thu Jan 22, 2009  at  03:56 PM
The problem is, if someone did decide to sue you for libel then you would be required to prove to a court of law that what you're saying is true (i.e. that the website is a hoax). Note the word 'prove', as the onus rests upon the publisher and not the complainant. If you were unable to prove that the site was a hoax, then they would win their libel claim.
Posted by James Hardaker  in  UK  on  Sun Feb 08, 2009  at  07:10 PM
Thanks for the info here, However, I too had read about this in the newspaper, I don't think it is a scam.
Cheers,
Jastin from <A >panama</A>
Posted by jastin  in  Srilanka  on  Tue Feb 17, 2009  at  02:56 AM
even if "timetravelfund.com" was real, it says that it will take you to a time that THEY want you to go to. NOT the time YOU want to go to. So if you want to go back in time to fix an event in your life that screwed up your life, like me, then even if timetravelfund.com was real, it's useless.

They might "revive" you when you really wanted to die too!
Posted by Brisk  in  Cali  on  Wed Feb 18, 2009  at  08:45 AM
I wan to time travel too to fix my mistakes.
Posted by Eddy  on  Wed Mar 11, 2009  at  03:11 AM
hai very good information,i like it very much,

yahoooooooooooooooo........
Posted by Nishanth.B  in  Trivandrum  on  Fri Mar 13, 2009  at  02:38 AM
Dear Time Travel Fund,
Inorder to complete full time travel...first you need an old Delouren and a flex copasatator, make sure you have ajug of gasoline just incase you run out in a year were that has not been produced....then turn on you car and gun it to 88!!!
Posted by Kylie  in  Canada  on  Fri Apr 24, 2009  at  01:30 PM
is it right?
really?
Posted by Antalya, Fethiye, Marmaris, Turkey  in  turkey  on  Tue Jul 07, 2009  at  02:41 PM
It would only be a scam if they were actually pocketing the money rather than putting it into the fund like they say.

To those who said it's a scam because it's not guaranteed, well DUH, it's not guaranteed! No one can know if time travel will be possible in the future or not. You should be happy with them for being very clear about this in the disclaimer.

It would be pretty silly to sue them. You know it's a risk you're taking when you join; personally, I think $10 for a small chance at visiting the future is a risk I'm willing to take.
Posted by Harold  on  Sun Sep 13, 2009  at  09:02 PM
and i found an alternative: http://www.voyageintime.com

Its a little bit more expensive than timetravelfund.com
Posted by Alex  on  Sat Oct 31, 2009  at  10:24 PM
It's not a scam or a hoax, twits... it can't be a scam, they state all possible disclaimers up front... it's for fun, you either participate or you don't... you look for it, they don't come looking for you. Of course it's not real, and even if they believe it themselves, it's still not a scam, they tell you right up front that it's strictly speculative.
Posted by tindog  on  Mon Nov 09, 2009  at  11:03 AM
This new site called voyage in time.com: http://www.voyageintime.com.It is charging almost twice the amount of time travel fund.I had a friend who e-mailed questions to this ''voyage in time'' and never heard from them again(even though they supposed to respond 24 after submission) .People beware of this knock off/copy of the time travel fund
Posted by Cutel  in  Earth  on  Wed Nov 18, 2009  at  10:10 AM
I'm just saying it shouldn't be in the Hoax Museum.
Posted by tindog  in  Los Angeles, CA  on  Wed Nov 18, 2009  at  02:32 PM
i have read the time travel site and i'm sure that they are for real. but i have to stop writing my mail now because its time for my medicine and the rest of my electron treatment.
Posted by annuities  in  USA  on  Thu Dec 24, 2009  at  05:30 AM
If you were doing something that you thought was a serious attempt at accomplishing something, or you thought was just a cute maybe fun thing to do as a novel speculation, and someone put you on their site as a Hoax, wouldn't you threaten them with slander too? Grow up, take them off the site. (if you haven't already, I don't have time to check, I'm just responding to an email response)... either way, as I've said before, they don't come under the heading of hoax... really, it's only ten bucks, even if they were just keeping it, they would have to get tens of thousands of hits to make it worthwhile, so why bother... and if not, you may not believe it or agree with it, but that doesn't make it a hoax. This is the definition of hoax: TO TRICK INTO BELIEVING OR ACCEPTING AS GENUINE SOMETHING FALSE AND OFTEN PREPOSTEROUS - whether you think the Time Travel Fund is "false" or "preposterous" they aren't tricking anyone, they state right up front that the whole thing is speculative.
Posted by tindog  in  Los Angeles, CA  on  Thu Dec 24, 2009  at  02:13 PM
Thank you very much.is wish you success
Posted by Avsa  in  germany  on  Sun Dec 27, 2009  at  02:51 PM
Holy crap, this country is chocked full of negative, arrogant, self-righteous people, and a lot of them post here apparently. The Fund is NOT a hoax, it's for FUN... remember fun? - even if there may be a small thread of hope that there is some truth to it for those that run it and participate. Lighten the **** up, people. If you don't want to spend 10 bucks to play, then don't, but there's no reason to libel, or slander, or defame, or make fun of, those that do.

And by the way, I've heard professionals with years of "schooling" and experience misuse libel and slander... slander is a more broad term and both come under the heading of defamation of character... if you defame someone's character in the form of some media, you are being libelous AND slanderous - ie, if someone defamed you in print, and someone else asked you what happened, you wouldn't say, "they libeled me by writing something bad about me", you'd say, "they slandered me by writing something bad about me." The use of the those terms, while not interchangeable, is understood, except by the self-righteous, who just have a need call out the mistakes or misunderstandings of everyone else. And as far as the "I don't see ANY legitimatacy in this." Criminy, (refer to the 'fun'and 'lighten up' comment).
Posted by tindog  in  Los Angeles, CA  on  Sun Dec 27, 2009  at  04:20 PM
I agree that whether they believe in it or not, until they can prove the legitimacy of thier "fund" it should stay on the site as a hoax or scam.
Posted by Travel Ins  in  usa  on  Tue Jan 05, 2010  at  01:40 AM
my name happens to be Joe Peacock.
I linked to your website because i found it funny and thought you would like the publicity.
Sorry for any damage done
Posted by iddaa  in  turkey  on  Thu Jan 07, 2010  at  10:24 PM
i have read the timetravel site and i'm sure that they are for real. but i have to stop writing my mail now because its time for my medicine and the rest of my electro treatment.
Posted by Compliance Monitoring  in  usa  on  Sat Jan 30, 2010  at  09:33 AM
Wouldn't we know by now if it were a hoax...or better yet wouldn't our future version ensure that our present version would invest or not invest?
Posted by Nicholas  in  San Francisco  on  Fri Mar 26, 2010  at  03:37 PM
Posted by Comparison  in  usa  on  Tue May 04, 2010  at  06:16 AM
Comments: Page 3 of 4 pages  < 1 2 3 4 >