Monkeys pick cotton, a 19th-century urban legend
The Case of the Vanishing Belly Button, 1964
Use your left ear to detect lies
The Cradle of the Deep, a literary hoax, 1929
The Cottingley Fairies, 1917
Baby Yoga, aka Swinging Your Kid Around Your Head
Mencken's fake history of the bathtub, 1917
Van Gogh's ear exhibited, 1935
Jean Gauntt, the Immortal Baby, 1939
Burger King's Left-Handed Whopper Hoax, 1998
The Vegetable Orchestra
Status: Strange, but true
image Vienna boasts the world's only vegetable orchestra. Members of this orchestra play only instruments made out of vegetables. Among their instruments: the cuke-o-phon, the radish-marimba, and the carrot-flute. (A few kitchen utensils such as knives and mixers are also used, on occasion.) And I love this part of the concept: "the instruments are subsequently made into a soup so that the audience can then enjoy them a second time"

In their FAQ, the vegetable orchestra reports that yes, they are serious about their music. It's not just a gag. And they seem to have quite an active tour schedule. They also report that the freshness of the vegetables makes a big difference in the quality of the sound.

I wonder if throwing tomatoes at them at the end of the concert would be considered a compliment? (via the Salvador Dali Museum)
Categories: Entertainment, Food
Posted by The Curator on Thu Jul 13, 2006
sorry to say but the vienna vegetable orchestra really does cool music! i saw them in leipzig, germany and what they are able to get out of their primitive instruments is, well, amazing..
i didn't see any tomatos flying from the audience.. or even wishes for it..
your very personal,
strawberry
Posted by strawberry  in  ljubljana  on  Thu Jul 13, 2006  at  03:27 PM
I hope they boil their cucumber flutes, as I imagine they're filled with the flutist's saliva.
Posted by Citizen Premier  in  spite of public outcry  on  Thu Jul 13, 2006  at  03:54 PM
And, I wonder what they could do with a "cumato."
My old college radio station may have had one of their albums. It was definitely by a group that played only vegetables. It was quite good from what I remember.
Posted by Paul  on  Thu Jul 13, 2006  at  09:29 PM
You can tune a piano, but can you tunacumato?
Posted by JoeDaJuggler  in  St. Louis, MO  on  Thu Jul 13, 2006  at  11:42 PM
But a tomato is a fruit, they'd probably be insulted. They're not a fruit orchestra.
Posted by Steve  in  Australia  on  Fri Jul 14, 2006  at  11:04 AM
...I wouldn't want to eat veggies that someone was just blowing spit into.
Posted by Maegan  in  Tampa, FL - USA  on  Fri Jul 14, 2006  at  01:03 PM
Good point, Steve. Throw carrots instead.
Wait, that could hurt someone. Throw peas.
Posted by Big Gary  in  Thalia, Texas  on  Fri Jul 14, 2006  at  01:18 PM
My favorite vegetable instrument is a giant bean I got in Cuba. It's hard and probably a meter long and a hand's breadth wide, and when you shake it, the seeds make a sound like a maracas, but much louder.

The things grow on trees there, and are frequently used in "Santeria" ceremonies. I can't remember the correct Cuban name of this instrument.
Posted by Big Gary  in  Quanah, Texas  on  Fri Jul 14, 2006  at  01:22 PM
Why does that instrument in the photo disturb me so much? red face
Posted by oppiejoe  in  Michigan - USA  on  Fri Jul 14, 2006  at  04:33 PM
Because it looks like the form of a penis. smile
Posted by Yuvri  on  Fri Jul 14, 2006  at  05:04 PM
Just a thought... what if the Red Hot Chili Peppers really used Red Hot Chili peppers? cheese
Posted by oppiejoe  in  Michigan - USA  on  Sun Jul 16, 2006  at  10:51 AM