Dog wins art contest, 1974
Female thieves hide money in their bras, 1950
war of the worlds
The night Martians invaded New Jersey, 1938
Sober Sue, the woman who never smiled, 1907
Paul Krassner's Stereophonic Hoax, 1960
The Science of Whoopee Cushions
Science has determined the funniest whoopee cushion sound, based on a survey of 34,000 people. It is a long, whiny fart, lasting at least seven seconds. Young, European women tend to be most amused by fart sounds, relative to other demographic groups. And the noise of flatulence gets funnier the more you listen to it. The research was conducted by acoustics Professor Trevor Cox of the University of Salford, working in conjunction with the charity Comic Relief.

My theory is that farts were the very first form of jokes. Cavemen sitting around and farting to make each other laugh. So by this time, our brains are pretty much hard-wired to find them amusing. (via The Telegraph)
Categories: Pranks, Science
Posted by The Curator on Wed Mar 18, 2009
By young they probably
4 or 5 years of age.

I think most of us grow out of
finding farts amusing by the time
we're 10.

U.S sitcom writers on the other hand
never seem to grow out of it. Probably
why there's no such thing as a decent
U.S sitcom.
Posted by Sharruma  in  capable of finishing a coherent  on  Wed Mar 18, 2009  at  12:41 PM
I'm a 26 year old guy, and I still find farts amusing as hell, as does my best friend, who is 33.

So much for your theory, lol
Posted by Josh  in  Texas  on  Wed Mar 18, 2009  at  07:04 PM
Pfffffrrrrr!!!!1 HAAAAHaaaahaahahahahakhhhkhhkhkh...!!!!!
Posted by master baiter  in  somewhere over there  on  Wed Mar 18, 2009  at  11:25 PM
Very strange coincidence. Just yesterday (Wednesday) I was wondering if the human brain is hardwired to find certain sounds (farts, Ah-ooo-ga horns) funny.

I guess I now have my answer. Thanks, science.
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Thu Mar 19, 2009  at  03:49 AM
I don't think it is so much the sound associated with a fart, it is the look on other's faces when they realize that they must partake in the aroma.

As George Carlin once said, "Notice how your own farts smell OK?"
Posted by KDP  in  Madill, OK  on  Thu Mar 19, 2009  at  09:31 AM
Actually I think my theory stands.
Posted by Sharruma  in  capable of finishing a coherent  on  Thu Mar 19, 2009  at  02:00 PM
Well timed fart jokes are always funny.
Posted by Dily  in  West Virginia  on  Thu Mar 19, 2009  at  05:11 PM
You're supposed to TIME your fart jokes?
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Fri Mar 20, 2009  at  03:41 AM
I've not (as a rule) found farts per se especially funny for a couple of decades now. But a couple of years back I, my wife, and some friends were walking around some medieval castle behind a middle-aged Japanese tour group, and one of them repeatedly let rip with some of the most farblerastically combublent eructulations I've ever heard... We were in fits of uncontrollable laughter, but not a single one of the tour group let on by so much as a twitching of the lips that anything at all had happened...
Posted by outeast  on  Tue Mar 24, 2009  at  05:44 AM
outeast,

just reading your comment makes me giggle! XD
Posted by saint splattergut  on  Tue Mar 24, 2009  at  09:24 PM
If you can't find a fart funny, you're just cranky...
Posted by booch  on  Fri Mar 27, 2009  at  01:54 AM
Reading this I immediately flashed to the often edited "baked beans campfire" scene in Mel Brooks' classic "Blazing Saddles".
And yes, I still laugh every time.
Posted by Bindarf  in  Virginia, USA  on  Mon Sep 13, 2010  at  11:08 PM