Mencken's fake history of the bathtub, 1917
BMW's April Fool's Day Hoaxes
Did Poe say 'The best things in life make you sweaty'?
Taco Bells buys the Liberty Bell, 1996
Fake Photos of Very Large Animals
Tube of liquor hidden in prohibition-era boot, 1920s
Bonsai Kittens, 2000
'Solar Armor' freezes man in Nevada Desert, 1874
The damp spot that hoaxed a city, 1912
The Lovely Feejee Mermaid, 1842
The Old Negro Space Program
image Conspiracy theorists say that man never landed on the moon, but the truth is even more shocking. As this short documentary film about the Old Negro Space Program reveals, the Blackstronauts of Black 'NASSA' landed on the moon a full three years before White NASA managed to get there. However, this achievement has been covered up by an elaborate 'Black Blackout' in the media. The film manages to capture exactly the right 'Ken Burnsesque' tone. Watch for how they keep repeating 'It was a different time back then, 1957 or 58', and how a fiddle starts playing whenever the narration shifts to a more reflective mood. The guy who plays the part of the obligatory university academic is great also. (thanks to 'Ca n'Internet' for the link)
Categories: Exploration/Travel, History
Posted by The Curator on Thu Mar 24, 2005
The actor reading the letter was the most moving part for me.

"It sure is $@%#$! cold up here. Yes Sara , I 'bout froze my mother-$#%@^! nuts off. God Damn. Space is one cold mother-#!^$*. Sara, my love for you is deathless. It seems to bind me to you with mighty cables that only omnipotence can break. But S%*@ woman, it is cold as %$@!# up here."

It left me tearful.
Posted by Charybdis  in  Hell  on  Thu Mar 24, 2005  at  10:11 AM
This is fabulous.
Imagine me not having heard of the Negro Space Program before now!
Posted by Big Gary C  in  Dallas, Texas  on  Thu Mar 24, 2005  at  11:10 AM
On a tangent, and it might be in the film, the footnotes at the back of 'A Man on the Moon' mention the sad fate of Major Robert Lawrence, who was selected by NASA in 1967 for one of the Apollo off-shoot programmes; unfortunately he was killed in an F-104 crash (the aircraft was notoriously unforgiving). In researching this with Wikipedia I find that the Pakistani Air Force calls it the 'Badmash', which is Pakistani for 'bastard'.
Posted by Ashley Pomeroy  on  Thu Mar 24, 2005  at  02:47 PM
"...and I told Alita Monroe that I was workin for NASSA...
...the Negro American Space Society of Astronauts.
Got Laid that very night." - Wallace
Posted by Rod  in  the land of smarties.  on  Thu Mar 24, 2005  at  05:07 PM
I'm proud to be a fan of NASSA. And I'm a card carrying member of FAF (Fanatics Against Fanaticism).
Posted by BugbearSloth  in  earth, 3rd planet, sol system  on  Thu Mar 24, 2005  at  10:26 PM
watch out for the narrator announcing that the blackstronauts landed on the moon 31 september 1957. september hath 30 days. haha.
Posted by David Madison  in  South Africa  on  Mon Apr 04, 2005  at  02:19 PM
smirk That pic is of the guy who plays T
Posted by Carmen  on  Sun Apr 10, 2005  at  01:53 AM
The person playing the professor "Dr. Warren Fingerfoot" is Andy Bobrow who wrote and directed this short. The guy who plays "Suitcase Jefferson" is Johnny Brown who you might recognize as "Bookman" from the 70's TV show Good Times.
Posted by W.F.  in  US  on  Sun Feb 26, 2006  at  12:23 AM