The Berners Street Hoax, 1810
The boy with the golden tooth, 1593
The Man-Eating Tree of Madagascar Hoax, 1874
Cat that walked 3000 miles to find its owners, 1951
Burger King's Left-Handed Whopper Hoax, 1998
The Nazi Air Marker Hoax, 1942
Swiss peasants harvest spaghetti from trees, 1957
What do the lines on Solo cups mean?
The Flower Fairy
Status: Prank
A Flower Fairy is on the loose on Anderson Island:

Last spring flower bouquets and potted plants began appearing without explanation at the homes of numerous residents of this small island southwest of Tacoma. After a summer hiatus, the practice has resumed, island Fire Chief Jim Bixler said... Residents who received the deliveries said they heard a knock and answered the door to find a floral gift with a handwritten note saying, "Hope these make you smile." Each note is signed, "Love, the Flower Fairy."

My theory: it's a local florist trying to drum up business by encouraging spontaneous flower giving. Still, it's a nice idea.
Categories: Pranks
Posted by The Curator on Sun Jan 08, 2006
Awe, your guess is so cynical! raspberry
Posted by Kelly  in  Belmont Shore, CA  on  Sun Jan 08, 2006  at  04:39 PM
Crazy - I am looking across the water to Anderson Island as I type this. I doubt that it is a local florist as Anderson only has a general store and you have to get there via ferry. My guess is that it's just a good-natured person that lives on the Island. It's a very small community and most people have lived there for many years. smile There is another Island here (Raft) that has a gnome fairy - gnomes end up all over the place.
Posted by K  on  Sun Jan 08, 2006  at  05:53 PM
I think this is possibly the sweetest prank you've covered so far.
smile
Posted by Boo  in  The Land of the Haggii...  on  Sun Jan 08, 2006  at  09:50 PM
So a hole has been shot in my cynical theory already. Oh well. I suppose it's good that I'm wrong. smile
Posted by The Curator  in  San Diego  on  Sun Jan 08, 2006  at  11:36 PM
Reminds me of an elderly man I knew of, who would dress up like a faerie (pink tu-tu, pink leotard, pink point shoes, pink feather boa, tiara with two stars on springs sticking up from it, pink-rimmed eyeglasses and a sparkly magic wand with lights in it) and would prance around town wishing everybody a good morning/afternoon/night and doing little things like leaving flowers for people, or giving quarters to children. Sure, he was probably nuts, but at least he was happy and cheerful about it.
Posted by Accipiter  on  Sun Jan 08, 2006  at  11:54 PM
Accipiter, I think I saw the same guy on the news when they were covering a gay pride parade.
Posted by Craig  on  Mon Jan 09, 2006  at  08:33 AM
That's possible. He was from North Carolina, or at least that's where he was when I saw him.
Posted by Accipiter  on  Mon Jan 09, 2006  at  05:52 PM
That's possible, although I didn't ask him about his personal life. I think that he was from North Carolina, or at least that's where he was when I saw him.
Posted by Accipiter  on  Mon Jan 09, 2006  at  05:52 PM
Erk, why does it keep posting twice for me, or posting when I've only half-finished writing?
Posted by Accipiter  on  Mon Jan 09, 2006  at  05:53 PM