Paul Krassner's Stereophonic Hoax, 1960
The Lovely Feejee Mermaid, 1842
The Berners Street Hoax, 1810
The Cradle of the Deep, a literary hoax, 1929
Mencken's fake history of the bathtub, 1917
The Diaphote, a television hoax, 1880
‘The Can’
It all began when Bill and Diane Finc bought a can of tomato juice. When they shook it before opening, they heard a metallic thud. There was something inside.

Now, instead of doing what I would do and very hesitantly opening it, trying not to let the possibilities of what could be in there run through my mind, the Fincs, residents of the somewhat eccentric town of Jarbridge, kept it for a year. Over that time, bets were placed on what the mysterious item could be.

After a day of impromptu partying and picnicking, the can was ceremoniously opened to reveal... a smaller can.

I can't have been the only person desperately hoping that, if someone had shaken the smaller can, there might have been a metallic clunking...

(Thanks, Phred22.)
Categories: Food
Posted by Boo on Tue Aug 15, 2006
Well, for starters, I'd surely love to visit Jarbridge.

But the biggest suprise of them all is that the Finc's didn't sue the grocery store, the manufacturer, and the canner. Most people in the USA would have a lawsuit out the door faster than the time it takes to open the can.

Three cheers for normality!
Posted by Bill  on  Tue Aug 15, 2006  at  07:53 AM
...so... what's in The Can's Can?
Posted by Soldant  on  Tue Aug 15, 2006  at  08:26 AM
My grandparents used to work in a food bank thing...and every now & again they'd bring me a sealed, yet empty can. Very fun to hurl at a friend & freak them out.
Posted by Maegan  in  Tampa, FL - USA  on  Tue Aug 15, 2006  at  08:58 AM
That's 5 minutes of my life that I will never get back...
Posted by coit  on  Tue Aug 15, 2006  at  09:55 AM
wow....I'm moving to Jarbridge!
Posted by MadCarlotta  on  Tue Aug 15, 2006  at  11:13 AM
"to reveal... a smaller can."

Darn--my money was on a bigger can.
Posted by JoeDaJuggler  in  St. Louis, MO  on  Tue Aug 15, 2006  at  12:17 PM
Well, I guess they've disproved a limerick I learned in grade school:

There once was a canner, quite canny,
Who one morning remarked to his granny,
"A canner can can
Most anything, Gran,
But a canner can't can a can, can he?"

I guess now the last line will have to read,
"And a canner can can a can, can't he?"
Posted by Big Gary  in  Cancun, Kansas  on  Tue Aug 15, 2006  at  03:11 PM
Funny thing about betting on cans. . . what do you use for openers?
Posted by JoeDaJuggler  in  St. Louis, MO  on  Tue Aug 15, 2006  at  11:42 PM
Next year they'll have a party to open the smaller can!!
Posted by MIKE  on  Thu Aug 17, 2006  at  10:03 AM