The most sacred relic: the Holy Foreskin, circa 800 AD
Swiss peasants harvest spaghetti from trees, 1957
Sober Sue, the woman who never smiled, 1907
The Diaphote, a television hoax, 1880
The Society for Indecency to Naked Animals, 1959
Stotham, Massachusetts: the town that didn't exist, 1920
The Barton Mansion
In September of 2001 four people entered the Barton Mansion, which is billed as being one of the most haunted houses in California (it's in Redlands, east of LA). What happened to them is described in great detail on the Barton Mansion website that they created a couple of years later. Included is a videoclip of their supposed encounter with a ghost (the clip looks staged to me). I'm not sure what the purpose behind the creation of the site was. They do sell a Barton Mansion dvd, but they're only asking $9 for it, so they can't make a huge amount of money from it. Maybe they're just big fans of the supernatural, or they're amateur storytellers hoping to create a Blair-Witch style mystery.
Categories: Paranormal
Posted by The Curator on Wed Aug 03, 2005
That's amazing Jen, thanks for sharing. smile it's nice that people are still talking about this. It's a real shame that i live nowhere near to Redlands.. i really would love to see the house in its current form from outside, of course.
Posted by Mikael  in  Finland  on  Sat Jun 30, 2007  at  09:18 AM
ok first of all, I don't think anyone whould be dumb enough to put a freakin lantern/flashlight in a persons hand if they wanted to convince people that it was a real video. I mean come on. no one is that stupid. well most people arn't lol. Well just to be another person who is defending this whole haunting thing. I have gone by that mansion multiple times(always in the day. I don't have the balls to go by at night) and I always get creepy feelings around it. I also went to the frozen custard place when I was in the area today. it's right next to the mansion. my mom and I got our ice cream stuff and just looked at the house. I started walking on the property barely even thinking about it. I saw some dark person0like shape in the top left window across fromt he ice cream place. I didn't think much of it. but I told my mom that w=it was kinda creepy. I looked back, and it appeared to move closer to the window. or at least move. I don't think it's a very dangerous thing though( even though everyone acts like it's a place haunted by evil spirits) it they were evil don't you think they would try to hurt people instead of just going towards people? no one has been harmed by any of the "ghosts" If there are ghosts there, maybe they are just trying to make contact, not scare people. or they might be trying to scare them lol who knows. everyone acts as though Dr. Barton was evil because he was in favor of slavory, but think about the time in which he was alive. he was one of the people in favor of california leaving the union. slavory was a very popular thing. even amoung christians lol. like it or not it's true. Anyway that's just my thought on it. I don't know nor do I care if the video is real. I just kow that I heard some odd noises like doors closing outside of the mansion and a figure in the window.

BTW: you can't go into it anymore, unless you want a root canal lol. it's been turned into a dentists office withing the last year or two or something. they remodelled a bit. it's still creepy to me though lol.
Posted by caitlin  in  somewhere that I won't say lol  on  Sun Jul 01, 2007  at  01:33 AM
for one thing , YES! the barton house story is true , i live here in redlands and my sister lived across from the barton house for 9 years , before it was under construction my nephew would sneak in and check it out until he got the hell scared out of him , not only is the barton house haunted but so is prospect park in redlands by many spirits EVP'S have been pick up and footage too many more are the mariposa school , kimberly crest , morey mansion and guess what my house also i live on the north side of redlands in a very old home we have always had activity here sence i moved in people who lived in my house have said ,DO YOU KNOW YOUR HOUSE IS HAUNTED .....I SAY I KNOW , so don't be so quick to say it is fake , everyone knows redlands is known for being haunted just take a walk through prospect park at night or through the old theatre and you will change your opinon FAST .
Posted by DEBBIE  in  REDLANDS ,CALIF  on  Fri Jul 20, 2007  at  05:15 AM
I am tired of haunting this house. Mail me $200,000 so I can move to a condo on the upper west side.
Posted by Ghost  in  The house  on  Mon Jul 30, 2007  at  11:42 PM
Can anyone tellme where the Barton Mansion is located. i thought it was on Nevada st but i cant seem to find it???
Posted by michelle  on  Wed Aug 01, 2007  at  02:50 PM
Ok so i was just reading and it seems that it is no longer un occupied and that it has become some kind of office. does any one know anything about a "smiley woods" thats supposed to be a haunted forest in redlands?
Posted by michelle  on  Wed Aug 01, 2007  at  02:53 PM
the barton house is right on the corner of nevada st and barton road , you can't really miss it , and the smiley forest haunting can be a number of places the old smiley park , or a number of orange groves that are a dumping ground for bodies , or you could be thinking about prospect park but its not the smiley forest its the bamboo forest located in prospect park where many years ago a teen girl was raped and murdered and her body found in the bamboo, there are so many haunted locations in redlands the old cemetary too , OH and ghost in the house make fun all you want but lets see you go to any of these places alone , the house across the street from me , got a call and it came from a phone in there house told them to watch the road and a few days later we had a gas leak in the middle of the road another time same thing but it said to watch the roof 3 days after christmas there new heating system caught the roof on fire , so crack jokes but many and i mean many know alot about redlands and all about its hauntings , and almost someone has had a experiance with a haunting here , a friend of mine got married on the grounds of kimberley crest mansion and believes she captured kimberley herself in a photo :0 NOT FAKE , ITS VERY REAL
Posted by Debbie  in  Redlands Calif  on  Sat Aug 04, 2007  at  04:24 AM
umm first of all my parents used to own one of the office on the second story it was hell being in there even in the middle of the day most of the time it was your mind playing tricks on you then the rest of the time it was unexplainable.but my personal opinion is that its real, not the movie but the hauntedness XD of the house. i think that movie is bull honkey. ive been ther late nites with my mom its traumatizing but back then my mom told me stories of the place like when it was locked tight than a dolphins butt and the next day all the lights were on i was there i HAVE LIVED IT it is a very good experiance and hey demons and ghosts im sorry for intruding it was rude of me to go there without asking but maybe ther is a way we can coincide in the house without anyone peeing there pants whenever you decide to visit but please i am not disrupting you on purpose. second i go to the montessori school and its erie just to look at it when its a mile away. so dont make any preconcieved notions of the house until YOU HAVE BEEN THER AND LIVED THE HAUNTING. thnx^_^
Posted by ichimatsu13  in  redlands  on  Sun Sep 09, 2007  at  07:52 PM
The video looks pretty crazy, and I don't doubt that it's fake. I'm thinking about checking it out either this weekend or the next coming up. Redlands is definately known for its supernatural inhabitants and satanic activity. Weird place.
Posted by Alex  in  Ontario  on  Wed Nov 28, 2007  at  05:27 PM
My boyfriend and I go to the Barton Mansion all the time now. Not into the actual mansion but to the custard shop that's in the old horse stables. From what I can say the Mansion now has offices in it I believe. So if you're looking for a thrill it's not really somewhere you can go; sorry. The curstard shop is good though :]
Posted by jessica  on  Wed Nov 28, 2007  at  10:54 PM
I ended up dropping by the house this past weekend, and it seems they may have security overnight now. Kind of funny that most of all the lights in the house are on though lol. He/she may know something of the story eh? lol.
Posted by Alex  in  Ontario  on  Mon Dec 03, 2007  at  01:07 PM
Can someone tag this place on Google Earth please? I can find the location but can't figure out which building it is.

Cheers.
Posted by Richard  in  New Zealand  on  Sun Dec 09, 2007  at  08:06 PM
well yes it is occupied now , but that does not mean its not haunted, it is and everyone knows it my nephew has seen it , now if you really want to get scared go to prospect park here in redlands at night :0 that place totaly creeps me out , it is haunted by many spirits , don't believe it but it it very true , if i were at the barton mansion at night alone inside i would turn on all the lights and have security too , seeing is believing i guess, but are you really sure you could handle it if you did ? smile
Posted by DEBBIE  in  REDLANDS ,CALIF  on  Mon Dec 10, 2007  at  03:54 AM
Richard, try these:

Posted by Mikael  in  Finland  on  Mon Dec 10, 2007  at  05:24 PM
i've sen the viedeo a few times, the one thing that really sold it for me is when the "thing" gets out of the closet, it has a lantern, a few frames later the fucking lantern just vanishes, so it's either that it is a demon, or one of these guys friends is a funny magician lol
Posted by Vincent Rudolf  in  New York  on  Tue Dec 11, 2007  at  08:16 AM
Thanks Mikael. That's apparently the right area, but I'm not sure it's the right house. The roof line doesn't look the same as in the photos.
Can anyone who lives locally give the co-ordinates? Living in NZ it's about as close as I'll ever get to the place downer
Posted by Richard  in  New Zealand  on  Tue Dec 11, 2007  at  02:24 PM
it may not look the same because it has been remodeled and repaired , it was really a mess before they fixed it up , im not sure the video is real or not , but the house itself is haunted , and the stories of old dr barton himself and the treatment of the indians he got to build his home , the barton mansion is not a hoax it is real , check it out and see for yourself
Posted by DEBBIE  in  REDLANDS ,CALIF  on  Tue Dec 11, 2007  at  05:18 PM
and just recently the barton mansion appeared on the maurey povitch show as being a real haunting here in southern calif .
Posted by DEBBIE  in  REDLANDS ,CALIF  on  Tue Dec 11, 2007  at  05:40 PM
yeah, i went to ur site and saw the video and let me tell you, it scared the s*** out of me, i mean you have these two teens just looking around and all of the sudden some giant looking thing comes out of some room and scares the hell out of them i mean that thing was huge and real ugly i've never seen someting dat looks some wat like satin
Posted by cynthia  on  Wed Dec 19, 2007  at  02:15 PM
I actually have visited the mansion before it was purchased a while ago and it is fucking real.
Posted by sarah  in  redlands  on  Fri Dec 21, 2007  at  11:48 PM
i pass by this mansion on my way to school everyday. I cant see how this mansion could be haunted... the video looks like a hoax to me, and everytime I drive down Nevada Street, I look to see if theres anything there...nothing. Anyways, thats just my opinion
Posted by elsa  in  redlands, ca  on  Wed Jan 16, 2008  at  10:55 PM
I also live in the city right next to redlands, and I've been to the mansion twice, now but after what I saw the second time i will never go back. This isn't just a hoax,these things really do happen in the mansion. Its owned by a few businesses now, so if you're caught trespassing, you might get a ticket, so be careful. But if you're really skeptical about all this, I so suggest you have a look at it for yourself.
Posted by Severina  in  Highland, CA  on  Fri Jan 25, 2008  at  06:21 PM
That thing, I don't know I don't live too far, but what they tape was real but it's not a demon or so they say.
If I remember they was a group of weirdos wearing masks that go there that kill animals and carry there bodies in the place. I know one of them, and I can tell you his name. Steve Muller was it, talk about going with his group of buddies to some Barton mansion or something and do blackmagic shit, wear monster mask, killing animals like coyotes and sorts. They carry lighters, Binkie knifes, and wear crappy clothing as somesort of crazy cult satanists perhaps. That thing on the video could be one of Steve's buddies but I don't recall them carrying lanterns.

All though not taped I do see a menacing figure appear near the orange groves in the area from time to time complete in black. All I know is it aint no hobo looking for oranges.
Posted by James  in  Hemet,CA  on  Tue Feb 05, 2008  at  11:35 PM
dude i went to the Barton Mansion last night..(3/29/08) at 3:00am and that shit was scary... although it is almost impossible to get into it because it is now an office buliding. we took some pictures of the outside and we have evidence of orbs and two figures walking the grounds.. a whites figure standing on the balcony.. which is a new feature... and a black figure standing slightly to the right of the front entrance... in the picture the white figure resembles the figure they caught on tape those many years ago... now if you dont believe me... go see for your self.. the mansion is located on Barton and Nevada and has a white fence... i dare you to go....wink
Posted by Amanda O  in  San Bernardino, CA  on  Sun Mar 30, 2008  at  10:36 PM
Redlands has always been haunted just walk around town late at night and you will swear you feel a energy of some kind i know sometimes it is just an energy imprint from years gone by other times its a ghost you need to be stone cold sober and open to feel the energys most of the spirits in redlands are harmless i've only felt a very few angry spirits/energys/ghosts and most of them are either lost, confused or trying to protect what they seem to think is theirs still!
Posted by Catherine  in  Redlands, CA  on  Thu Apr 17, 2008  at  01:50 AM
if any of you think that video was not set up your a fuckin dumb ass if you watch the it right befor thay look at the thing on the floor (whatever it is) you see this so calld "demon" leg or arm in the dore way.....
Posted by todd  in  colton  on  Thu May 01, 2008  at  11:57 PM
i have always wondered about this mansion and i googled it the other day to discover the video and this web site. my boyfriend and i drove to the mansion at 1am last weekend. the instant you drive up you can feel the temp. and energy change. it is not neccesarily scary but you do feel some sort of evil. all the lights were on in the mansion i am sure to disuade people from tresspasing. we still got out of the car and walked around. all the shades were drawn but as we walked around the house in the third story window i saw a tall shadow fleet past the window, i gasped and grabbed my boyfriends arm but he was way ahead of me...he was already on his way back to the car:-) it is just a strange place, i wish i knew what happened there and why a ghost is haunting it.....and why he seems to pissed off.
Posted by kelly  in  redlands  on  Mon May 12, 2008  at  02:27 PM
see i knew it wasnt only just me! ive been to that mansion numerous times and everythime is just as scary as the first... im going there this weekend hopefully around 1 or 2 satureday morning... if i go im going to take a video camera and see if i can catch anything...
Posted by Amanda O  in  San Bernardino, CA  on  Tue May 13, 2008  at  04:11 PM
"These guys are Christians??? Give me a break! Since when do Christians practice lying & deceiving?" ummmmmmm well there was the whole crusades thing and the conquistadors, annnd the holocust...lets not forget george w. bush... all in all i'd say christianity as a whole has done more then their fare share of lying and deceiving, as well as murder rape and pillage in the name of god
Posted by Dru  on  Tue Jun 24, 2008  at  07:39 PM
I know these guys (went to High School with them) and their video is 100% FAKE FAKE FAKE. They put it together after watching The Blair Witch project one too many times. They still laugh their a**es off at how many gullible people are willing to believe it's true.
Posted by Kevin  on  Wed Jun 25, 2008  at  07:35 PM
Comments: Page 3 of 4 pages  < 1 2 3 4 >