Iceberg floats into Sydney Harbor, 1978
Bonsai Kittens, 2000
The Man-Eating Tree of Madagascar Hoax, 1874
The Hoaxing Hitchhiker, 1941
The Great New York Zoo Escape Hoax, 1874
Sober Sue, the woman who never smiled, 1907
The Barton Mansion
In September of 2001 four people entered the Barton Mansion, which is billed as being one of the most haunted houses in California (it's in Redlands, east of LA). What happened to them is described in great detail on the Barton Mansion website that they created a couple of years later. Included is a videoclip of their supposed encounter with a ghost (the clip looks staged to me). I'm not sure what the purpose behind the creation of the site was. They do sell a Barton Mansion dvd, but they're only asking $9 for it, so they can't make a huge amount of money from it. Maybe they're just big fans of the supernatural, or they're amateur storytellers hoping to create a Blair-Witch style mystery.
Categories: Paranormal
Posted by The Curator on Wed Aug 03, 2005
man you need to get your eyes checked mike.
its not a flash light its a lantern.
and if you read anything on there website they didnt have flashlight to be shinning (if my memory serves me right) what the camera has is a night vision mode. it emits IR and amplifies ambient light. and why does wearing a white robe and having a light make it hoax? i cant say its real but i have yet to see anything proving its a fake.
Posted by Aahs  on  Wed Apr 19, 2006  at  03:25 AM
What happened to the website? oh, it's back now.."Under Paranormal Construction"..ahahaha! oh yeah, can't wait. They should hire someone to build up the html code. Even the current site looks so 1997 =P
Posted by mwaha  on  Wed Apr 19, 2006  at  02:59 PM
I live in the next city over and have always heard the Barton house to be haunted. I met guy filming at Crafton hills college before this incident occurred. By a judge of character, I perceive him to be trustworthy. He was in my speech class and the day after the 2nd day he took the video, he told me and a few others about what had happened. They seemed questionable at the time until we saw the video directly from the camera he took it on. There was no film editing and he seem freaked out about it. This was not intended to be a joke or anything of the matter. He was shocked the even occurred. I had visited the house shortly after and the police at set up a fence with bob wire around it with cameras. All I know is that the tape was real, I believe it when I saw it the first time, and I believe the guy who took it.
Posted by Travis J  in  Yucaipa Ca  on  Sun Apr 23, 2006  at  01:38 AM
i dont think its a houx because i dnt think that there is a person that tall.(if you look at the ghost,demon,etc) you can see that its head is almost as high as the door and its not standing take a look !!!
Posted by abdullah zibdeh  on  Sun Apr 30, 2006  at  11:41 AM
Real or fake, this video scares me, i mean right now im looking behind my back out of mere paranoia. This mansion intrigues me and it makes me wonder what is really in that house. Half of me wishes to go to that house and the other half doesn't. lol it's crazy. I have to admit though that it was funny as all hell when those guys were running down those stairs screaming. lmao priceless. I will say one thing, if that was me and my friends, we would be too scared to even try to stage a hoax like that in the pitch dark (leave the lights on for me hahaha). If anybody has any real stories and articles about the history of the Barton mansion (and they don't have to be paranormal-related) post them on here.
Posted by I dont know what to believe but....(Justin)  in  Jacksonville, Florida  on  Sat May 13, 2006  at  01:25 AM
does anyone know the address to the barton mansion? i live in redlands by rev and I cant find the mansion. I personally want to see this "demon".
Posted by Sky  in  Redlands  on  Thu May 18, 2006  at  05:45 AM
The mansion IS privately owned now and has been completely remodeled. While it used to be almost tradition for the local kids to sneak in there, now it is someone's business. Also, since the remodel, it doesn't have quite the same presence. It used to freak me out just to drive by it but now it looks like a beautiful old building. As for location..I think I am not positive as to the street name because it's on odd little street that no one uses but It's located Between Barton Rd and Redlands Blvd. just west of the Beaver Occuaptional Health Center. Near the Asistencia Mission (Closer to Barton than Redlands Blvd.) I do Know that the street name is a state ( anyone familiar with the area knows that Redlands has a bunch of street names that are states) I want to say Nevada but don't hold me to that. It could also be New Jersey.
Posted by Girl raised in Redlands  in  Redlands  on  Thu May 18, 2006  at  12:40 PM
Well, here is the scoop...it is a hoax! I, and many members of my family believed it too because we know one of the young men involved in filming it. He is a Seventh Day Adventist ( I believe his friends are too) and we thought he was being very honest about what he saw.

Surprise! Later he confessed that it was all just a sham. So, yes, Christians are humans and they have been known to lie. They thought it would be funny and they had a lot of people believing it.

I saw the mask that the "demon" was wearing in a Spencer's store in the local mall a while back. There may be real supernatural occurances somewhere but this isn't one of them. Sorry.
Posted by laney  in  riverside, ca  on  Sat May 20, 2006  at  07:15 PM
ok, not only do I live in Redlands but I have worked on projects regarding the history of the town. I have also met the guys that made the video and they have been affected by what they've seen. I would love to explain more about Redlands and the House, but I don't think anyone here is intersted in learning, just judging what you don't understand. There is a very good explanation for what is in the Baron House and if anyone is interested feel free to email me. By the way, the remodel that was done on the house took over a year, and they went through three construction companies. The workmen also would not stay past mid day. I know that for a fact because my daughter went to school across the street at Montessori. once again, if you want to understand more here's my email ****@gmail.com
Posted by sarah  in  redlands  on  Mon Jun 12, 2006  at  11:41 PM
the entire barton story is going to be on TLC The Learning Channel this thursday at 7:00pm on a show called the "X-Testers". Go to http://www.bartonmansion.com for more info on the show. This is the show to prove one way or the other if this is the real deal!
Posted by pete  in  redlands, ca  on  Wed Jun 14, 2006  at  01:22 AM
The Barton Mansion incident is not a hoax. The "thing" that came out of the closet space might have been a person but it was not orchestrated by the guys who filmed it. Pamela's post (last February) is accurate because I work right next to the guy who put up the website. He is not making any money off the website outside of just covering his expenses (and barely at that). Cody, like a lot people, is interested in the paranormal and just wanted to get a lot of discussion going but had no idea that it was going to take off so far and fast. At first, Cody was sending out the DVD for free (minus shipping costs) but so many people took advantage of him so he eventually started to charge. In addition, the people at X-Testers contacted him regarding an interest in shooting an episode and not the other way around. Up until that contact with the X-Testers group, Cody was just about ready to shut down the website as it was beginning to cost him in time and energy. Anyway, thought this would be informative.
Posted by Dave  on  Fri Jun 16, 2006  at  06:27 PM
I know one of the guys who did the video/website. When I watched the tape, I was skeptible, but was still pretty open minded. It wasn't until what I saw 5 weeks later that made me believe the video.

I promise on anyone close to me that I love, that this is a true story.

I was driving back with my friend on San Timeto Drive, which is a long street that connects Redlands to Moreno Valley. I was coming back from a friends house at around 1 am. There is a railroad that runs parellel with the road. As I came up to the crossing, this tall figure, and when i say tall, he was literally 7 feet tall came lunging at my car. Take into consideration, there are no houses in this remote area.

What I saw scared me to death. He was dressed in dark clothing, held a lit lantern with his right hand, and had enormous ears. That is what I remembered the most. Thoes ears. He lunged so close to my car that I had to swerve into the other lane. Me and my friend both screamed. We kept saying to each other, what the hell was that!!! It didn't look human!!! Now, I am not one of thoes crazy people who believes in ghosts...I've never seen one. But I know what i saw. Its just so scary thatthe ghost in the video resembes what i saw. And this was about 3 miles from the Mansion.

It wasn't human. Thats all I remember saying.
Posted by Shelley  in  Redlands, CA  on  Tue Jun 27, 2006  at  02:50 AM
I don't know if it is real or not - and now I am kind of wondering about the whole Blair Witch hoax idea...I was totally taken in by the documentary the Blair Witch guys made before the movie came out- and when I watched the movie, I freaked out because I thought it was real. I'd rather believe that the Barton Mansion deal was just like that, because to believe it is scarier...
The video gives me shivers, and I can't fathom what they would be getting out of the whole deal other than grief from skeptics. I'm sorry I missed the X-testers show about it...anybody know when or if it airs again?
Posted by Katie  in  Oregon  on  Sat Jul 29, 2006  at  04:06 AM
it looks real to me, buckos
Posted by Ryguy  on  Sat Aug 05, 2006  at  09:03 PM
I went by the Mansion this morning. I pulled right into the small parking lot. There was a directory out front with a sign above it that said, Barton House Village. I have to say, even after the renovation (which doesn't seem to be completed) there is a creepiness to the upper level. The 1st floor appears to have had the majority of work done on it so far. It's too bad the city of Redlands didn't open it up as a museum with historical/ haunted tours. I know a few of my daughters teenage friends that would like to go sit outside w/ a Oujia board just to see if anything would happen. Ahhh, to be young again. If you belive, do so. If not, don't.
Posted by Kim  in  Murrieta  on  Mon Aug 07, 2006  at  02:44 PM
I told you to stay out of my house! Me and my wife are getting sick of this, we will KILL the next person that comes to my house.
Posted by Barton Mansion Demon  in  Redlands, CA  on  Tue Aug 15, 2006  at  11:27 AM
I live and work in Loma Linda, which is about 5 minutes from the Barton House. I've been in the house with my friend and his young son at night, exploring with flash lights. We didn't see anything freaky happen. You could fell a presence though. We almost got busted leaving though. The Redlands Police saw us, so we lied and said that we were just to go in when they showed up. They told us we were tresspassing, and waited till we got in our truck and left.We didn't even know the place was haunted when went over there. We just heard about it after my friend's son buddies said that there was a website about it. Funny thing is, its now a Dental Office.

However, I know a retired police officer whose grandfather was also a police officer, and they would tell me old stories of some of the rich well to do families there, in Redlands that would have wierd fire side rituals in the early morning hours at San Timeto canyon. They would get calls to the station from scared people asking them to go down and break it up. He said they were all dressed up do some weird sh?t.
Posted by Jim  in  Loma Linda, CA  on  Sat Sep 16, 2006  at  02:50 AM
September 2006 - The Barton House is now restored and in the home of private offices. All the pigeons and ghosts have moved on to darker places.
Posted by Frank Herendeen  in  redlands  on  Tue Sep 19, 2006  at  11:19 AM
What threw me was the lantern in the "demons" hand. Notice in the film that the lantern is lit while the ghost makes its appearance, then it slowly dims until it is out.
Posted by Garrett  in  Highland  on  Thu Oct 05, 2006  at  03:21 PM
I live in orange county now, but i grew up in yucaipa. ive benn to the barton housew three times, except for only on the first floor. evryone knows its huanted.
Posted by Brett  in  Anahiem  on  Fri Oct 13, 2006  at  01:05 AM
The Barton Mansion is definetely still there. I live right up the street from it and you can see it while driving on Barton Rd. It is located on Barton and Nevada St.
Posted by Kim  in  Loma Linda, CA  on  Mon Nov 13, 2006  at  05:57 PM
i think that the story is true becuz i dont think that anyone is that tall and they couldnt be on stilts becuz you can duck down on them. but! it could just be special effects
Posted by katie  in  niagara falls  on  Fri Dec 22, 2006  at  11:15 AM
This is Funny well i cant say if its true or not but weird things do happen in the masion because i work there! i work on the third floor! i mean i just worked for a week and move office because weird things happen there like you feel someone looking! well hey its your opinion!
Posted by Julie  in  Redlands, CA  on  Wed Feb 07, 2007  at  03:57 PM
My cousin and I went there back in Oct 05'. It was freaky but again it was remodeled and all cleaned up. We took pictures and video of the outside but man how I'd like to go in.
I want to buy that DVD but I can't get a repsonse back from the guys on the site. I don't want to send $9 out into a paypal and not hear anything from them.
Cool place, cool location. I have pictures if anyone nay-sayer says it's not a real post.
I'd like to find out more about this place.
Posted by Raymond  in  Victorville, CA  on  Fri Feb 23, 2007  at  12:57 PM
There are a couple things about this video that lead me to suspect that its a hoax.

First, and foremost, in the preoccupation by the people on camera with the thing on the floor. An abnormally long time is spent shining their flashlights at the door, with each person repeating multiple times "what's that."

This to me serves to distract the viewer. Someone who is watching the video for the first time, expects something to happen--behind the door--so when the figure comes out of the closet, you are startled (more startled than you'd be had it come from behind the door.)

The camera panned to the door also takes the closet out of view for at least 15 seconds. During this time, anyone could have gone by the camera and gotten into position.

I am also kind of skeptical because of where the flashlights point once the figure starts walking out of the closet. I don't know about you, but were I in a dark abandoned home, and I heard a noise, I'd shine my flashlight right at it, to see what it was. In this video, where there are two people with flashlights, niether flashlight ever stops to fully illuminate what's coming out of the closet, and the "face" area is avoided completely.

Lastly, the lantern (it does appear to be a lantern.) Someone else has already pointed this out, but I'll repeat it. Why exactly would a "ghost" or as the owners of this video describe it, "a demon," need an artificial light source? Furthermore, a lantern is something that is easy to get (your local camping gear store) and does have connection to ghosts in popular culture (scooby-doo anyone.) Its very easy for me to imagine someone thinking a latern adds to the spookyness of something, and using it in a fake.

Having said all that, there are a couple of things that did disturb me about the film. One was the shear size of the figure, it was very tall, though not inhumanely tall, and we do lack perspective with the door (there is another thing, nobody else is in frame on the video until they run.)

Also, having been in a situation where people were really scared for their life (a falling plane in my case) the screams of the kids seemed pretty authentic. Again, not that this can't be acted.

Finally, the robe of "shredded" fabric. It has a very weird texture, and does look like very old, shreaded fabric. A little more detail than I'd give to your standard hoaxer.

Then there is the face, which could be a mask, but is disturbing.

All-in-all, there isn't enough evidence to make a determination with any certainty. Baring a chance to see the original tape, and talk to the people who filmed it, I'd say this is inconclusive--with the suspicion being that it is a forgery/hoax.
Posted by Scott M  in  San Diego  on  Tue Mar 20, 2007  at  08:31 AM
HEY WHO CARE IF REAL OR NOT PRETY COOOL STUFF!!!! ANYBODY KNOW IF IT'S FOR SALE?????? HELL I WOULD BUY!!!!
Posted by sailin junkie  in  in.  on  Wed Apr 11, 2007  at  01:49 AM
I'm not sure if it's true or not. looking at all the different stories and arguments, it's hard to tell. But I don't really care about the "demon". A few nights ago me, my sister, and her boyfriend were driving around redlands (like we always do) and drove past the mansion. My sister's boyfriend had heard stories about it (I guess) and wanted to drive by it. It was about 2 AM, the lights in the 2nd and 3rd floor were left on. I knew nothing about the mansion at the time, but we drove around in the parking lot and around the mansion. It was warm inside the car, but as we past a group of bushes, I felt a cold breeze pass through me. the breeze was ice cold. I'm not sure, but I don't think that that's normal. I think my sister's boyfriend wanted to check it out more, but we didn't.
Is the building now occupied? I saw the comment saying that it was, but I wasn't too sure about it. Email me if you have any info. I would like to know. my email address is ****@yahoo.com
Posted by Michelle D.  in  Highland, California  on  Fri Apr 13, 2007  at  08:45 PM
ALL YOU PEOPLE ARE ALL FULL OF SHIT, YOU THINK YOU KNOW EVERYTHING, BUT YOU DONT, AND FOR THAT PERSION WHO SAYS " O THERE CHRISTIANS ", SHUT YOUR FACE, IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT YOU BELIVE IN, BUT WHAT IS REALY OUT THERE, HOW CAN YOU SAY THIS TAPE IS NOT REAL, IT CAN BE, AND MAYBE ITS NOT, BUT I DO KNOW FOR A FACT THAT THERE ARE THINGS OUT THER THAT WE CANT EXPLANE, MAINLY ITS BECAUSE WE ARE TO SO CLOSE MINDED, THATS WHY YOU WILL NEVER BELIVE, O, BUT YOU CAN BELIVE THERES A GOD OUT THERE, ATLEAST WE HAVE PROOF THAT THERE ARE THINGS OUT THERE, ALL YOU HAVE IS YOUR PATHETIC BIBLE THAT WAS MADE BY MAN, SO IS MOST LIKELY BULL SHIT!
BUT I CANT SAY THE BIBLE IS NOT TRUE, AND THATS BECAUSE AM NOT MINDLESS LIKE ALL OF YOU. THE REASION WHY I FIGHT FOR THIS IS BECAUSE I SEEN IT, AND WAS ATTACK BY THINGS YOU WOULDNT BELIVE.

IF YOU REALY WANT TO KNOW THE TRUTH, GO TO A CEMETARY AT NIGHT, GO TO THE WOODS AT NIGHT, GO TO BARTON MANSION, AT NIGHT, AND GO UP TO THE SECOUND FLOOR, AND IF YOU HAVE THE BALLS BIG BOY, THEN PUT YOUR FACE AGAINST THE WINDOW GLASS, AND TELL YOURSELF, WHAT YOU FELL, AND DO ALL OF THIS ALONE, BETTER TO BE ALONE, THEN YOU CAN SEE, OR FELL, BECAUSE THATS HOW I FOUND OUT, CAN YOU?

BLADIMIR.
Posted by Bladimir  in  Grand Terrace  on  Fri May 11, 2007  at  07:01 PM
Bladder-imir,
What kind of drug were you on when your wrote your post?

As for the Barton place, i've driven past it (with friends), as most of you have. I can't say for sure that I believe the video, or the guys who were involved, but then again I can't deny it. We actually walked around the mansion grounds and heard some very strange things. For one, we heard the voice of a teenage girl laughing...or maybe it was crying. In any case, it was disturbing. The noise was coming from the east side of the mansion. Secondly, a window slammed shut on the second story. But there was not wind that night, not even a breeze. Those are my experiences...reading other's posts were entertaining as well, to say the least.
Posted by Skeptic4Sure  in  Fontana  on  Sat May 19, 2007  at  03:29 PM
Soooo, ive lived in redlands for about 2 and a half years now. mind you, i live about 2 min. driving distance from the mansion. i never heard this little urban legend until after i moved into town. i finally cracked after all this time a viewed the footage of the "demon" yesterday. since everyone i know has seen the damn thing, i knew what to expect. however, i didnt truely get freaked out until i was on the official website and saw a pic of the original owner, Dr. Benjamin Barton who also owned Mission Asistencia which is caddy-corner from the mansion.

Before i moved to redlands, i was just working here. i worked at asistencia villa on barton rd., a nursing home, across the street from Barton Mansion and Mission Asistencia. Anyway, i worked swing shift. Im not a firm believer in what a cant see or touch. A couple of my fellow nurses always swore the place was haunted, and id just laugh. they were silly. One guy nurse wouldnt walk down the halls at night without a flashlight. supposedly, doors would shut by themself with no one around, footsteps heard, you get the picture. One night about 10:30 one of my patients with dementia was screaming, "that man's in my room again!! the one with the bid head!" this patient was crazy. i blew it off. the following night, a patient who was all there mind-wise put on her call light and i answered it. she asked me when were visiting hours over. i told her they were over at 9. she said," there was some man who i think just came into my room on accident. walked in, walked out." i asked her to describe him. "Older, 50's or 60's, large forehead, light whitish reddish hair." I asked the other employees if they had seen anything. no one did. i was off the next couple nights. when i came back, the night before the nurses had to call the cops because there was a guy older with a big forehead wearing black lurking outside the property. outside the windows of patients rooms, even seen by employees. the police found no one of that decription in the area. i never bought all thia crap. until i read the history of Barton Mansion and saw a pic of Dr. Barton. Big forehead, older, light hair. i pissed myself. 3 years later im freaked out and live close by.

btw, i drove past the mansion today. they gutted out the place and is occupied by several businessess, mostly doctors. strangely enough, when i pulled my car into the parking lot, i focused without realizing on a wondow on the 3rd floor left side of the building. i didnt see anything. but i didnt know until this evening that is where the alleged "demon" was seen. freaked me the fuck out. but, im still a skeptic.
Posted by jeN<3  in  redlands, ca  on  Tue Jun 26, 2007  at  12:31 AM
Comments: Page 2 of 4 pages  < 1 2 3 4 >