The Ashera Cat
image Want to own a leopard? That probably wouldn't be legal, but for $22,000 you can have the next best thing. A company called Lifestyle Pets is selling what it claims is a cross between an African Serval, an Asian Leopard Cat and a domestic cat. So it's like a smaller, tamer version of a leopard. They call this cat an Ashera. Their product page says, "Fully socialized, the Ashera gets along well with children and other pets and unusually for cats, the Ashera takes well to being walked on a leash."

At first when I saw the Lifestyle Pets website, I thought it was some kind of elaborate hoax in the vein of GenPets. But the Ashera seems to be real. At least, it's being widely reported in the news. And these cats look big! (Well, big for cats.) I don't think any other cats in the neighborhood would mess with them. Not many dogs would either, I would bet. It would look pretty cool walking one of these cats around the neighborhood, but for $22,000 they're a bit out of my price range.
Categories: Animals
Posted by The Curator on Mon Jun 04, 2007
I want one! But knowing my neighbourhood some asshole dog owner would poison it...
Posted by outeast  in  Prague, Czech Rep  on  Mon Jun 04, 2007  at  05:00 AM
If one of my neighbours got one of them I would have to get a car with bigger tyres...wink

I would be one of those asshole dog owners Outeast! LOL
Posted by Nettie  in  Perth, Western Australia  on  Mon Jun 04, 2007  at  05:54 AM
Are they really sure these things are safe to own? As Alex states they are:

"...a cross between an African Serval, an Asian Leopard Cat and a domestic cat."

I've got visions of seeing news stories of one chasing after and hunting down things it shouldn't (like people).
Posted by Peter  in  Melbourne, Australia  on  Mon Jun 04, 2007  at  11:02 AM
Now thats the kinda mouser I want in my home.... it could take out the ground squirles around here too... maybe even a moose or two LOL
Posted by DJ_Canada  in  Edmonton, Alberta, Canada  on  Mon Jun 04, 2007  at  12:38 PM
Brigette Bardot opened a great cat sanctuary many years ago... Billy Mumy came to visit her there, was appalled at how Brigette had neglected her beauty regimen in order to care for the myriad leopards, cheetahs and ocelots, and set them all free, so that Brigette could resume her stature as a World Beauty... the plan worked well except for a few kinks: The big cats had forgotten how to hunt, Brigette forgot how to apply makeup, and Billy had forgotten where he left the Robinson's Rover. So there you have it: Beware great cats, ignore standards of beauty, and park in the fire lane. You're welcome
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Mon Jun 04, 2007  at  01:42 PM
After some consideration, I feel it is necessary to clarify my position on offering sanctuary to great cats. It has always been my belief that all things should be taken in moderation, including the concept of moderation. I hope that clears it up a bit.
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Mon Jun 04, 2007  at  01:44 PM
After receiving several e-mails suggesting that I'm inconsiderate in regards to Brigette Bardot's dedication to cats and aversion to cosmetic applications, please allow me to state an old maxim once entrusted to me by a Yaqui holy man: "Every man must find his totem, but no man can lose one". oooh, deep stuff from Hairy... oooh
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Mon Jun 04, 2007  at  01:48 PM
I want one!
Posted by MadCarlotta  in  Canada  on  Mon Jun 04, 2007  at  04:43 PM
These domestic cat-wildcat hybrids show up every few years. In general, they make bad pets, because the animal's temperament is usually closer to that of the wildcat than that of the domestic cat.

Thousands of years of domestication have made dogs and cats into much better pets than any random critter you pull out of the wild.
Posted by Big Gary  in  Round Rock, Texas  on  Mon Jun 04, 2007  at  05:24 PM
Okay, let Raoul get this right, okay? Why would any one want this big kitty cat for the kids? Hah ha ha, you get my joke, yes? A Kiddy Kitty... oh, that is so much... oh, no, I have blown Bosco out my nose from the laughing, but that is too true, you know. Thank me later when the cable goes out... Rrrraoul
Posted by Raoul  on  Mon Jun 04, 2007  at  05:36 PM
Okay, Raoul must be clearing this air, you know. The thoughts of Raoul with Bosco Boogers is not so good, so scratch that from the score, okay? Let me start at square again. I, Raoul, The Neverending Battle For Truth, Justice and The Ramonian Way, had a small onyx when I was the boy, but that didn't stop me from rolling the cat's eyeball, if you get a drift, you know? Hah ha ha, you peoples fall too much for my teasings of you, but it is your own, so don't blame Raoul. Rrrraoul
Posted by Raoul  on  Mon Jun 04, 2007  at  05:44 PM
Before I am going today, who is that beautiful young lady holding the leash of the big kitty? If she asked Raoul nicer, with a husky, passionate sigh, I would be her leash kitty. Hah ha ha, that is too much another joke, because no one ever has to ask, okay? Just so we are the clear on that, you know. Rrrraoul
Posted by Raoul  on  Mon Jun 04, 2007  at  05:48 PM
Sorry, if I can't have Baby I don't want another cat.

Posted by Charybdis  in  Hell  on  Tue Jun 05, 2007  at  11:18 AM
this cat is just a savannah. the savaanah cat is a real hybrid breed working toward a domestic status. this guy is nothing but a scam artist ! and yes, savannahs DO make wonderful pets....there are many breeders, just google savannah cat !
Posted by D  in  usa  on  Tue Jun 05, 2007  at  01:57 PM
The guy is a total scammer: you can't reinvent the wheel and then try to sell it to the public for several times more than it is worth! And without papers, no less!!! You guys that want a Savannah need to understand that they don't cost anywhere near 22k, and they need to be registered with TICA. This guy is not coming up with a new breed, just a new scam- well newer- he has tried it before...
Posted by Susan  in  USA  on  Tue Jun 05, 2007  at  02:19 PM
There is no doubt in my mind that the so called Ashera is a Savannah. I've had my two Savannahs (Gambi and Adi) for over a year. The Asheras they show have the same markings, facial structure, etc. Basically the intricacies are identical. I paid $1,000 for both. Gambi currently weighs 25lbs and is still growing.

picture:

They have a great demeaner, wouldn't trade them for anything. If you want to spend the money, buy a savannah and buy $21,000 worth of toys.
Posted by Dan  on  Tue Jun 05, 2007  at  05:18 PM
The real Ashera cat??? Are you kidding? Read this:

I mean the guys a scammer, but he does have a trademark for the name...
Posted by Susan  in  USA  on  Tue Jun 05, 2007  at  07:35 PM
Thanks, but I am a Savannah breeder too... and I know all about Serval blood making Savannahs...I was saying there is no real Ashera cat, it is about an F2 Savannah, probably with a NP outcross like a bengal...my interest here is in educating the public about the Ashera scam, rather than shameless self promotion...
Posted by Susan  in  USA  on  Tue Jun 05, 2007  at  07:45 PM
The "Ashera" is cloaked in secrecy to boot, so there are no papers. TICA obviously isn't going to accept it as a new breed, since any cat crossed with a Serval is a Savannah, and it is already a breed. So not only are people considering spending 22k on a cat, they are getting a mongrel without papers...I love my cats, but as a breeder, our cats would be worthless unregistered...and yeah, I wouldn't want to muck up the gene pool in my program with his cats...
Posted by Susan  in  USA  on  Tue Jun 05, 2007  at  08:05 PM
I guess spending several hours on my day off trying to educate people about this Ashera scam is at least trying to advocate for the breed. I am frustrated with this latest attempt to hoodwink the public. If you read the blog link I posted before, you will see other Savannah breeders who are trying to do the same thing...in fact as a breeder if you would read it and post your own comment it would help...we do need all the help we can get here. I feel like we are defending our breed against a very dishonest man, and I am angry...Savannahs are wonderful cats, beautiful, athletic, and loving. For someone to try to sell them for a ridiculous amount, without papers, and to whoever wants one, is wrong...prospective owners should be checked out to be sure they aren't fly by nights, or fickle...these cats, like any pets, are not to be taken lightly or thrown out...that is why I am doing this today. And thanks for your help too...smile
Posted by Susan  in  USA  on  Tue Jun 05, 2007  at  08:52 PM
i doubt anyone is dimwitted enough to buy a cat for 22k without at least doing a little bit of research. and if you want to sell a cat for 22k,
obtain a margay(or other small wildcat) and bring back the Bristol Cat breed. I guaruntee you that you would make a fortune doing so.
Posted by thomas  in  Usa  on  Tue Jun 05, 2007  at  11:45 PM
Well, apparently the person(s) who decided to reinvent the Savannah didn't know that they would have a hard time selling a "new" hybrid cat for that amount...and they had an angle: an allergy-free cat...they must have assumed, even after being prosecuted and sentenced to jail time in Britain, that it would be easy money. We need to make sure that they find out Americans are not so easily duped...period...
Posted by Susan  in  USA  on  Wed Jun 06, 2007  at  12:54 AM
Alright enough already! Everyone on this blog is trying to promote something for their own gain - but how about this: if you really want to bring awareness to this fraud selling "Asheras" why doesn't one of you contact the news station that actually aired this idiocracy? So yeah Hollywood/Beverly Hills floosies with too much money poking out their pockets buy things without considering it's worth or researching it, that's what has made all these over-priced brand labels cost way more than they're worth - are we surprised a cat is any different??? Don't give it any more attention by bandering the name around, I'm sure all this blogging has sold the fraud 3 more cats. By the way, anyone still reading this, Bengals are the way to go. 1/2 the size of Savannahs, 1/2 the price, and twice the love. And the spotted look exactly like the Ashera/Savannah cat. Oh yeah, and that "Ashera" isn't even a beautiful good-quality cat to boot! Check out a marble!
Posted by Mickey  in  Folsom, CA  on  Wed Jun 06, 2007  at  05:05 AM
Check out a marble!

U mean harbl?
Posted by outeast  in  Prague, Czech Rep  on  Wed Jun 06, 2007  at  05:07 AM
That is total BS. I am NOT trying to promote anything for my own gain. You don't see me signing with my contact info or website to sell my cats...how ironic that after making that lame accusation you start going off on how cool Bengals are...yeah, they are small, with small ears, and rosettes instead of nice solid spots...SVs are tall and elegant...Bengals aren't even permissable as an outcross anymore...for good reason...
Posted by Susan  in  USA  on  Wed Jun 06, 2007  at  08:46 AM
I couldnt help but notice susans rant and knock at me everyone for real grow up....yes i hope to use this pubilicity for my gain WHY not if someone is foolish enough to pay that much for a cat then it would be a disservice if i didnt attempt to correct their injustice get over it.....he is making a buck normaly that would bother me but because he is bold face lieing that pisses me off if he called them savannahs then it would be differnt if you can sell a savannah for 25k then so be it...but because he is calling it something it isnt its bs!
Posted by matt  in  loveland  on  Wed Jun 06, 2007  at  10:07 AM
It sicken's me to know so called people are selling animal's for such a high price tag- we have so many abandoned animals- Is everyone bored with the selection we already have? So let's make up new animals-ignore the old one's-make ton's of money off of it and get no where as the human race. I spit on that company!
Posted by Cindy  in  USA  on  Wed Jun 06, 2007  at  11:06 AM
To the guy who said "some asshole dog owner would poison it..."

Why would you let a cat of this type run loose anyway? You're the asshole if you do. Be responsible for once, ok?
Posted by Tex  in  Texas  on  Wed Jun 06, 2007  at  12:04 PM
Oh quit Susan! I was saying in general, which Marc already agreed that that is exactly what he is about. And what the f is the comment to me about Bengals? Yeah so I have 2 and love them way more than a person should love a cat, and rescued 1 of them after rescuing another one years ago, which is how I learned how great they are and what amazing pets. I DO NOT BREED, I DO NOT SELL and I only promote for the breeds sake, mine are fixed! I am surprised every day how stupid some people are...
Posted by Mickey  in  Folsom, CA  on  Wed Jun 06, 2007  at  12:14 PM
I have just discovered these beautiful animals after reading an article about the Ashera cat costing $22,000. I want one of these cats, not for $22,000 of course! I have a couple of questions, first, is there really a difference between the Ashera and the Savannah? In pictures, they look the same. Also, I live in a more tropical climate, is that alright for them, and do they require any special care? I already have a dog who is a year and a half, would that be a problem? My dog is a sweetheart who loves everything that is willing to play with him. Please let me know, anyone who has the time, and also where I can get one who will not rip me off.
Thanks!
Posted by Nikki  on  Wed Jun 06, 2007  at  03:53 PM
Comments: Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 >
Commenting is not available in this channel entry.