Adolf Hitler Baby Photo Hoax, 1933
The Great Space Monkey Hoax, 1953
BMW's April Fool's Day Hoaxes
The Cradle of the Deep, a literary hoax, 1929
Prof. Wingard's Death Ray Hoax, 1876
Taco Bells buys the Liberty Bell, 1996
Supper With The Stars
Supper With The Stars is a British company that will arrange for a 'celebrity' to attend a party you're throwing. The idea is to wow your guests by having somebody famous show up. The catch is that, as Lindsay Marshall of Bifurcated Rivets puts it, all the stars you get to choose from are the 'essence of D-List'. Serious has-beens. Most Americans probably would never even have heard of the people on the list, such as Keith Harris, Diane Youdale, or Schnorbitz the Dog. The concept seems so odd and kind of sad that it's occurred to some people that it might all be a hoax, such as this LiveJournaler who notes that if you try to contact the company you get linked to a Hotmail address, which isn't exactly the sign of a well-established, real company. Trying to track down the company via its domain name info doesn't inspire much confidence either. They don't disclose their address or phone number on the domain name registration. Again, a little odd. What is the company trying to hide? Plus, all the celebrity photos on the site appear to have been simply taken from other sites. However, I did find this BBC article about the founder of the company, a 25-year-old Londoner named Louisa Loney. So I have to assume it's a real company. Maybe Louisa Loney runs it out of her home, which is why she won't disclose any address or contact info. (As an aside, my wife points out that some of the listed 'celebrities' are quite well known in England, such as Gordon Banks who's a legendary football player. I could imagine that sports fans would be excited to have him show up at a party.)
Categories: Celebrities
Posted by The Curator on Sun Jan 30, 2005
I'm English, and I haven't heard of some of them.

The thing on the site that really got me was the entry for Nick Leeson. Apparantly he is "a keen poker player and will be happy to play you".... I don't think playing poker against the man who screwed Barings bank out of their entire assets is a wise idea.....
Posted by Andrew Nixon  in  England  on  Sun Jan 30, 2005  at  07:33 PM
I must confess I've never heard of any of them...
Posted by Katherine  on  Sun Jan 30, 2005  at  11:31 PM
I've heard of pretty much all of them. Diane Youdale was the she-wolf in the US TV series She-Wolf of London; Keith Harris (and Orville) used to be big and even had a UK No 1 single. I'd say some of them are better than "D-List".

But Schnorbitz the Dog must be dead by now, he was on the telly more than 30 years ago. If it is the same dog then it's a world record-breaker and should be A-List!
Posted by Robert Newman  in  London  on  Mon Jan 31, 2005  at  06:46 AM
I wonder if these "stars" even know they're on this site being advertised!
BTW, I've never heard of any of them, but then again, I'm not British.
Posted by Glamcat  on  Mon Jan 31, 2005  at  07:31 AM
Maybe she's their agent.
Posted by Maegan  in  Tampa, FL - USA  on  Mon Jan 31, 2005  at  10:26 AM
then again, maybe she isnt
Posted by Nick  in  Merrie Olde Englande  on  Mon Jan 31, 2005  at  12:14 PM
What a fantastic idea - wait until one of your friends or neighbours is organising a dinner party and then inflict Keith Harris on them.
Posted by Gareth  on  Mon Jan 31, 2005  at  12:45 PM
Man, I've got to book The Brotherhood of Man for my next get-together. We can all join hands and sing United We Stand and then engage in some free lovin'.

Posted by Charybdis  in  Hell  on  Mon Jan 31, 2005  at  01:01 PM
"And ,if your back should ever be against the wall..." don't knock off Grandma's photo or that nice wall lamp Auntie Carighst gave us.
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Mon Jan 31, 2005  at  01:33 PM
"Schnorbitz the Dog"????
Posted by Big Gary C  in  Dallas, Texas  on  Mon Jan 31, 2005  at  04:55 PM
I wonder if these are the real thing or look-alikes. And as far as the dog is concerned, how many dogs were Lassie over the years?
Posted by Christopher Cole  in  Tucson, AZ  on  Mon Jan 31, 2005  at  08:48 PM
Happily, the concept appears to be far too awful not to be true:

Posted by Mark f  in  Dubai  on  Tue Feb 01, 2005  at  04:03 AM
You know your career doesn't mean dick when you've got to offer (via the internet!) to have dinner with people so you can pay your bills. Pretty pathetic.
Posted by Tornado  on  Tue Feb 01, 2005  at  10:55 PM
" Most Americans probably would never even have heard of the people on the list".

Like British people need your approval, you arrogant scum.
Posted by Matt  on  Sun Feb 06, 2005  at  01:26 PM
Lots of hostility, there, Matt. I don't think there was any implication on Alex's part that the British need our approval. In fact, I don't think the two are related, as there are many English who are very popular and well known here. Have you ever heard of the Beatles, Matt? Very popular here. Or John Clese, Emma Thompson, Kennith Branagh,and Alec Guiness?
Posted by JoeSixpack  on  Sun Feb 06, 2005  at  03:13 PM
Hey, Mad Matt: If it makes you feel any better, I'm American and I knew who all those people were. They're... ummm... all British stars. See? The Bristish DO need MY approval, though. I hereby give the British my approval. To do whatever, I'm easy. See how simple that was?
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Sun Feb 06, 2005  at  03:33 PM
I see I've got another fan.
Posted by The Curator  in  San Diego  on  Sun Feb 06, 2005  at  03:37 PM
just might surpass Cynthia
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Sun Feb 06, 2005  at  03:41 PM
Now look what you've gone and done at Supper With The Stars:

WARNING. BANDWIDTH VIOLATION.

The website owner has exceeded their bandwidth limit. They have been notified.

Until this problem has been rectified, access to this site is prohibited. surprised
Posted by Thesaurus  on  Mon Feb 14, 2005  at  07:18 PM
It would be nice if there were a real agency that would hook you up with someone famous. But, I guess George Clooney will just have to find me some other way. cheese
Posted by Michelle  in  Greensboro, NC  on  Sat Aug 06, 2005  at  12:53 PM
Ah, it appears that Ms Polledri is actually a contestant on the E4 gameshow "Bamboozle" in which the aim to to generate media publicity with elaborate (or not-so-elaborate) hoaxes. They were filming from around November 2004 to around June 2005, and one of Ms Polledri's tasks was to act as a matchmaker. First episode was quite amusing, but this particular prank is still to come, so keep an eye out for it!
Posted by Jen  in  Portsmouth  on  Mon Nov 28, 2005  at  09:30 AM
Posted by Gamer  in  America  on  Fri Jun 02, 2006  at  03:11 PM
I've never heard of any of them.
Posted by Techitrout  in  LV  on  Mon Aug 18, 2008  at  01:50 AM
This sounds like an amazing idea, maybe in the early stages, and will look to upgrade their talent base as the business grows.
Also, I think maybe a lot of folks would be impressed enough with d-list celebs at their dinner party.
Posted by Daniel Doyle  in  Nevada  on  Wed Apr 07, 2010  at  05:47 AM
It isn't a hoax it's just that the company doesn't appear to exist any more.

It was very real and rang for a few years with a fantastic website that was picked up by Popbitch.

It was basically an after dinner speaking thing, but the celebs would actually turn up at your house for a fee. It listed their food allergies and everything.
Posted by J  on  Wed May 26, 2010  at  11:33 AM