Storm Near Bunbury?
Some amazing pictures of a tornado have been doing the rounds. According to the info that accompanies them, these are "Photos of storm near Bunbury" (which is in Australia), although the text also notes that "you'd swear these were taken in america's mid west / tornado belt..." This has started some discussion on alt.folklore.urban, as people try to locate exactly where these photos were taken. The scenery does look a lot like the midwest.

image image image
Categories: Photos/VideosPlaces
Posted by The Curator on Fri May 20, 2005
I first received these photos in early July, after Calgary and area had experienced days of rain and floods. The email's subject was "storms in Southern Alberta". I knew that these storms didn't happen here!! I just burst out laughing when I received them again in August, now titled "storms in Toronto area"! My friend at work received them the same week, titled "storms in Fergus and Barrie, Ontario".
Every time I receive an email now with a picture that seems too good to be true, I check with a hoax site first. I also send a link to either this site or snopes.com to the person who sent me the email....I wish people would be a bit more discriminating about what they forward.
Posted by Rena  in  Calgary, Alberta, Canada  on  Sun Aug 28, 2005  at  06:15 PM
Yep they've turned up again. I've just been sent this same set as being photos of Hurricane Katrina.
Posted by Marie  in  London  on  Thu Sep 15, 2005  at  07:52 AM
I stumbled across this forum whilst reseaching an apparant increase in Tornado's in Western Australia for a documentary I'm working on.

Allow me to settle the argument irrefutably.

The pictures in question cannot possibly be of the storms experienced in Bunbury WA on 16-05-2005, because the storms hit Bunbury and Metropolitan Perth BEFORE sunrise.

If however, anybody does have any pictures or footage of any tornado's in Western Australia (according to official burinformation, Perth experiences an average of 6 per year) then I would love to hear from you.

I can be contacted by email - .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
Posted by Adam Lee  in  East Perth, Western Australia  on  Mon Sep 19, 2005  at  09:47 AM
Adam, this issue has long ago, and in this very thread, been settled irrefutably, even down to identifying _exactly_ where the photos were taken, by whom, and when. To cut a long story short, earlier posts point you to:

wherein all is revealed.

regards,
Shel
Posted by shel  in  Perth...not far from Bunbury  on  Mon Sep 19, 2005  at  11:31 AM
These pictures were taken in near Orangeville Ontario Canada by a friends sisters friend. As I got them exactly 2 days post the Tornado that hit the Orangeville/Erin / Toronto area on Aug 18th.
Posted by BL Price  in  Alliston, Canada  on  Mon Sep 19, 2005  at  10:37 PM
I've now seen this doing the rounds as "Hurricane Katrina"
Posted by Claire  on  Sat Sep 24, 2005  at  12:22 AM
Media Watch (ABC) did a piece on it the other night. Not only did the W.A newspapers use Hollingshead's photos incorrectly, but I think the Herald & even the tv show Sunrise featured them. Talk about not doing your homework!
Posted by Storm near bunbury  on  Tue Sep 27, 2005  at  09:24 PM
I'm not posting to refute where the photos actually came from. But to add something. About a month or a month and a half, my secretary showed me these pictures claiming they were the Orangeville tornado. I believed her until I got home and realized it was a hoax. I cannot believe that people STILL believe every fucking thing that comes into their inbox.
Posted by Howdumbcan you be  in  Ontario  on  Thu Oct 06, 2005  at  10:19 PM
gulp tell me more because i am doing a project on austrilian weather
Posted by Autumn  on  Tue Feb 07, 2006  at  07:13 PM
Ashley, this issue has long ago, and in this very thread, been settled irrefutably, even down to identifying _exactly_ where the photos were taken, by whom, and when. To cut a long story short, earlier posts point you to:

wherein all is revealed.

At least Aussies can establish facts for themselves without having to "wait until Snopes gets holds of this to know for sure".

regards,
Shel
Posted by shel  in  perth  on  Wed Feb 08, 2006  at  04:55 AM
hahahah!!!
man did have a laugh when i seen those photos!! i live in bunbury and believe me if they hit us we wouldn't be on the map!!! it was a cyclone not a tornado!! honestly that's the sort of stuff we see in the cinemas!!
Posted by chloe carlin  in  Bunbury  on  Sun Mar 19, 2006  at  01:17 AM
..., but, and, .... in Australia do they travel generally NW to SE ?
Posted by sbcoleridge  in  USofA  on  Thu Mar 23, 2006  at  05:59 PM
Sbcoleridge, yes, they do. At least in Western Australia, where Bunbury is located.
Posted by Smerk  in  to mischief  on  Thu Mar 23, 2006  at  07:30 PM
These photos are not of the storm that hit Settlers in Australind as the storm hit at night, early morning. So as theres plenty of daylight around the tornado photo's i think someones pulling our chains. Plus as a home owner in Australind i have never seen such storms like this during daylight hours.
Posted by James Green  in  Australind WA Australia  on  Sat Aug 19, 2006  at  08:47 PM
James et al, this issue has died long ago, and in this very thread has been settled irrefutably, even down to identifying _exactly_ where the photos were taken, by whom, and when. To cut a long story short, earlier posts point you to:

wherein all is revealed.

Trouble is, people don't seem to be in the habit of checking previous posts in a forum such as this before commenting smile
Shel
Posted by Shel  in  Perth...not far from Bunbury  on  Sat Aug 19, 2006  at  11:43 PM
i live in bunbury and there arnt anything like this.... it doesnt even rain much in bunbury who the hell said this is in bunbury aus?
Posted by jack  in  Bunbury Australia  on  Thu Jul 17, 2008  at  09:00 AM
Crikey guys, how on earth any of you think these are from Bunbury is pure hogwash times infinity! Look Im telling you these photos are NOT (repeat NOT) from West Australia. I visit cuzzy bros there ALL the time and you can just tell by the light and the air in the photos they are obviously from America not from West Australia!
Posted by Graham  in  Rotorua New Zealand  on  Fri Jun 05, 2009  at  03:58 AM
Bloody heck . . . Graham, look at the dates of the posts to which you refer, and read at least my post a couple above yours . . . . we know where they are from, and have done for years now, hence this thread sorta dying out (until you kicked it into a semblance of life again) smile
Posted by shel  in  Perth . . . not far from Bunbury  on  Fri Jun 05, 2009  at  06:14 AM
Crikey Shel, honestly I have cuzzy bros live there and I can tell you for a fact that aint bunbury you just need to look at the clouds and air!

iTS PURE HOGWASH! I would say the photos are from America and someone on the Internet just said they were from Bunbury.
Posted by Graham in Rotorua  in  New Zealand  on  Tue Jun 09, 2009  at  02:17 AM
Do yous believe me now? I telling you, this aint bunbury. I been there! This bunbury no it aint, no siree!!!

Bunbury is by the ocean. I cant see no ocea in this pictures, can you??? See??

Well, even if maybe the camera was pointing away from the ocean you dont get big clouds like this ones by the ocean. Ask any weather man this and you will know.
Posted by Graham in Rotorua  in  New Zealand  on  Mon Sep 14, 2009  at  04:57 AM
Well i will still insist this storm aint in bunbury cuz i have been there hey. I dont no why yous keep saying this storm is bunbury cuz it aint.
Posted by Graham in Rotorua  in  New Zealand  on  Wed Dec 16, 2009  at  12:41 AM
Comments: Page 3 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3
Commenting is not available in this channel entry.