The Case of the Vanishing Belly Button, 1964
Stotham, Massachusetts: the town that didn't exist, 1920
Jennifer Love Hewitt's Disappearing Breasts
BMW's April Fool's Day Hoaxes
Snowball the Monster Cat, 2000
Script of Casablanca rejected, 1982
A black lion: real or fake?
The Hitler Diary Hoax, 1983
Did Paul McCartney die on Nov. 9, 1966?
Boy floats away in balloon, 2009
Spiderman Tattoo
Photos of a Spiderman tattoo, showing an illusion of skin tearing away to reveal a Spiderman costume beneath, have been circulating around, prompting people to wonder if the images are real or photoshopped.

They are real. The tattoo is the work of Milwaukee-based artist Dan Hazelton. Check out his site for other examples of his work.

He very briefly discusses the Spiderman tattoo on his myspace page in response to a question from someone who asks, "can i get a tear out like the Spiderman one??" Hazelton responds:

please, no more tear outs. that tattoo is all over the internet and people are filling up my inboxes with all kinds of requests for comic or super heroes tearin out of them now. tear outs are a dated tattoo that the average public over used a long time ago. sorry but i dont encourage that.
Categories: Art, Body Manipulation, Photos/Videos
Posted by The Curator on Wed Jul 16, 2008
These are beautifully done; however, they are SO well done that I'm in pain just looking at them. I am tattooed, but I would not want an image of massive 'wounding' as part of my totums.
Posted by hulitoons  in  Abingdon, Maryland  on  Wed Jul 16, 2008  at  08:26 AM
I agree with hulitoons. That's really gross, and I flinch just looking at them.
Posted by Sakano  in  Ohio  on  Wed Jul 16, 2008  at  04:14 PM
People love this artist's work and want him to do more. But instead of being flattered, he is too good for them, insulting their tastes as "dated". What a pompous douche.
Posted by piantu  on  Wed Jul 16, 2008  at  04:25 PM
I love the idea that a "dated tatoo" is not good.

You've got to keep up with the lastest thing when you're permanently and indelibly inscribing it onto your body where it will remain visible for the rest of your life!
Posted by JoeDaJuggler  in  St. Louis, MO  on  Thu Jul 17, 2008  at  04:26 AM
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Thu Jul 17, 2008  at  04:37 AM
"Yeah, that looks cool when you're in your 20's but it's gonna look pretty peculiar on a 70-year-old body."

Or, or! It will look even cooler!
Posted by Tom  in  London  on  Thu Jul 17, 2008  at  05:03 AM
Wow...somebody got a little full of themselves. Dated?? Sheesh...isn't that EVERY friggin' tattoo EVER? Once you've got it, it's a testament to the time when it was first inked.
Posted by Maegan  in  Tampa, FL - USA  on  Thu Jul 17, 2008  at  10:02 AM

I'm a graphic designer and back in the mid nineties, a company called KPT had a set of photoshop plug ins. One of them created a "page curl" on your image, and at the time people thought it was the coolest thing they had ever seen. Every client of ours wanted the page curl on the stuff we were doing for them (ads, packaging, etc.). Between that and the stupid lens flare filter I was about ready to lose my mind.

If someone asked me to do a page curl or add a lens flare now I'd flatly refuse.
Posted by MadCarlotta  in  Canada  on  Thu Jul 17, 2008  at  02:17 PM
"Yes, but in defense of the artist, he probably wants to do more modern work. He has to draw these things, after all, and it is his prerogative as to whether or not he wants to do something he got sick of years ago."

I suppose it's also his perogative on whether or not he'd like to get paid. I understand the artist standpoint, but for god's sake if you're going to do something for a living, just do what you're being asked to do.
Posted by pinkgummiworms  on  Thu Jul 17, 2008  at  07:19 PM
Yes, it's absolutely his prerogative as to whether or not to lose business. Hazelton is a pretty well known tattoo artist, I don't think it's going to hurt him. He works for himself, and has the right to pick and choose what he wants to do. It's not like his boss is saying "do this tattoo" and he is refusing on principle.

I am not a well known designer, but even I have turned down work that I didn't want to do, or I felt was not worth my time.

Believe me, the last thing you want when getting a permanent piece of art on your body, is a tattoo artist who isn't into what he's doing.

Just because someone is offering you money to do something for them, doesn't make you automatically obligated to accept it.
Posted by MadCarlotta  in  Canada  on  Fri Jul 18, 2008  at  10:39 AM
No, but perhaps if you want to pick and choose you shouldn't be taking people's requests anyway. I just know I've been to a tattoo parlor or two, and I've overheard artists being real pretentious jerks about that kind of stuff. I'm sure not all of the artists are like that, but I don't know, I just completely agree with what piantu said.
Posted by pinkgummiworms  on  Fri Jul 18, 2008  at  06:38 PM
My partner got a tattoo a couple of months back, and I sat there pestering the tattooist with questions the whole time. One of my questions was, do you get annoyed/contemptuous or whatever, when people get totally lame art done? He said he didn't have the right to judge what someone did with their body, that if it's meaningful to them, that's what's important. I was very impressed - I'd expected a snobby artist's reply, and got thoughtful open-mindedness instead.
Posted by kat  in  perth, australia  on  Sat Jul 19, 2008  at  01:14 AM
That's what the guy who did my first tattoo was like and the owner was nice, but every other artist in the parlor were so snobby.
Posted by pinkgummiworms  on  Sat Jul 19, 2008  at  05:34 PM
Why would you create a tattoo that was going to be "dated" in the first place. this is why for a lot of people getting a tattoo is a big mistake. It's not fashion, it's a part of you for life.
Posted by janus  on  Thu Jul 24, 2008  at  06:37 PM
Wow, what great looking artwork. I can't believe the level of detail they were able to get. These Spider-Man tattoos are so good that they really do look photoshopped. Very cool.
Posted by Spider-Man T-shirts  in  USA  on  Mon Sep 01, 2008  at  12:48 AM
I think that the artist has total prerogative as his own boss whether to take on a piece of work or not. He doesn't have to tattoo something that he's not into. If he needs the work, he can accept it.
Posted by Alex  in  Los Angeles, California  on  Sat Nov 22, 2008  at  04:18 PM
cool cheese Nice to see well-done artwork instead of lots of smudgy junk.
Posted by Frency  in  France  on  Mon Feb 23, 2009  at  05:54 PM
Really cool tattoo
Posted by Allan  in  USA  on  Sun Mar 08, 2009  at  10:57 PM
A beautifully done tattoo. It's nice to see one that is done with such precision. Unfortunately lots of tattoo artists don't take the time to carefully prepare their work and execute it over several sessions. If you showed the flash version of this to many tattoo "artists" they'd say it wasn't "tattooable", which really means they don't have the talent level to carry it off.
Posted by Addison  on  Sat Mar 21, 2009  at  09:51 AM
its a real hero tattoo its amazing one .....
Posted by Mike Hussey  in  India  on  Wed Jun 10, 2009  at  01:26 AM
I love the idea that a "dated tatoo"
Posted by fulltattoo  on  Thu Aug 06, 2009  at  05:00 AM
I have seen something similar but with raw flesh and bone drawn with a couple of organs too. It was a whole zombie victim look and as well done as this one. The only problem is the longevity of the spiderman theme. Something more general would last longer.

But I can understand how the tattooist might get past doing them in that style. You don't want a tattooist inking you who isn't into the design he is doing. That is when you get sloppy work done...
Posted by Graphic Designer Sydney - Bittenbydesign.com  in  Sydney, Australia  on  Tue Aug 25, 2009  at  11:59 PM