The damp spot that hoaxed a city, 1912
The Case of the Vanishing Belly Button, 1964
The Olympic Underwear Relay, 1956
Mule elected G.O.P. committeeman, 1938
Dog wins art contest, 1974
war of the worlds
The night Martians invaded New Jersey, 1938
What do the lines on Solo cups mean?
Spider Milkshake
Here's a lovely set of images that's going around. I really wish I hadn't seen it, but too late now. It's totally safe for work, but if you have any kind of fear of spiders you might not want to look at it. The question is, is it real? Well, I suppose someone easily could have sacrificed a spider for the sake of creating the images. I don't know how else they'd create the picture with the chopped up spider bits. But in the final image it doesn't look like the guy is actually drinking the milkshake. He's just holding it up to his mouth.
Categories: Animals, Food
Posted by The Curator on Wed Apr 20, 2005
Ha! I made a link & sent it to a co-worker, b/c he's terrified of spiders. That looks like a Rose Tarantula. (Or whatever the hell it's called. I saw one this weekend at Busch Gardens.)
Posted by Maegan  in  Tampa, FL - USA  on  Wed Apr 20, 2005  at  12:15 PM
Oh, Hell Yeah...Screw the Bananas though, get some chocolate syrup!!! and ice cream. I bet Chary is with me on this!!!!
Posted by X  in  McKinney, TX  on  Wed Apr 20, 2005  at  12:22 PM
Anyone have a carb count on that milkshake?
Posted by NDTgirl  in  Memphis, TN  on  Wed Apr 20, 2005  at  12:23 PM
Eurgh. But having said that, the chopped up spider pieces could be anything really. They look like twiglets to me.
Posted by Stephen Harris  on  Wed Apr 20, 2005  at  12:27 PM
I had a Haitian pink-toed tarantula for several years. When they shed their skin, they leave a full size "replica" empty skin in their cage. A friend thought she had given birth! (idiot). However, you could easily use the shed skin in the blender to produce the "legs" seen. So, no spiders were necessarily harmed in making these images. It might have been, of course, but I don't think it's a foregone conclusion.

I don't know why the maker of the images would refrain from drinking it, however, if he was willing to chop one up. Arachnids are high in protein, no cholesterol, and the venom content in a tarantula is minimal. It would probably be perfectly healthy. If you used a high-protein, lo-carb whey powder to make the milkshake and left our the banana, they'd be "Atkins-friendly" too.
Posted by DaveG  in  Salt Lake City  on  Wed Apr 20, 2005  at  01:15 PM
Oh goodie! Low carb. BRB to store to buy some milk.

I agree though that it is probably staged. Obviously the drinking part, and more than likely the blending part. If I were going to kill a spider that big and in that fashion, I would put it on video... that way no one would think that it were a fake.
Posted by NDTgirl  in  Memphis, TN  on  Wed Apr 20, 2005  at  01:35 PM
I think it's probably fake, using the real spiders shed skin, as DaveG said. I don't think anyone who owned a tarantula would kill it like that. At least, I hope not. I like spiders, and I wish I had more of them in my house.
Posted by JoeSixpack  on  Wed Apr 20, 2005  at  02:55 PM
There are tons of spiders at my house you can have. Drink up. Please take all the black widows, thanks.

I definitely think this is staged. No way this is real. The 'spider legs' could be shed skin (most likely), but they also look like dried earth worms. The speckled look to the shake looks like choc. chip ice cream. Or pepper.
Posted by thephrog  in  CA USA  on  Wed Apr 20, 2005  at  03:23 PM
To eat the spider is not right. If you milk the spider, you get the better flavor. Rrrraoul
Posted by Raoul  on  Wed Apr 20, 2005  at  03:46 PM
Spiders actually taste pretty good. The big ones like tarantulas you can roast, although it's best to discard the legs and fangs (you can use the fangs afterwards as toorhpicks afterwards). Smaller ones aren't really worth roasting, though.
Posted by Accipiter  on  Wed Apr 20, 2005  at  04:29 PM
That's a pretty expensive milkshake. Bananas just don't grow on trees, you know.
Posted by booch  on  Wed Apr 20, 2005  at  06:53 PM
I wonder if this guy was inspired by the spider blender and drinking scene in "The Giant Spider Invasion" movie I saw on Mystery Science Theater 3000?
Posted by Frederick J. Barnett  in  Sorrento, LA  on  Thu Apr 21, 2005  at  09:46 AM
The links broken now, anyone know anywhere else the image is held??
Posted by Joe  in  Las Vegas  on  Fri Apr 22, 2005  at  06:28 PM
Joe, I was able to click on it and go through. Try again I guess.
Posted by NDTgirl  in  Memphis, TN  on  Fri Apr 22, 2005  at  10:33 PM
it fairly obvious that the black bits are vanilla the leg parts are the pod
Posted by Shippou-Chan  in  London  on  Sat Apr 23, 2005  at  12:45 PM
This set of pictures is disgusting if it's real or if it isn't. A tarantula, or any other being, does NOT deserve to be put in a blender alive. And if it was a fake? Well much like the ol' "bonsai kitten" page, although it may not make droves of people rush out to do the exact thing they saw but it makes a joke out of violence towards animals. This of course furthers actual violent actions against animals without anyone realizing it because the jokes say it's "ok" to hurt living beings.

Also, people who commit violence against animals rarely stop there...the next target is sometimes another person.

So it's not ok to post this kind of crap even if it is considered "legal" EVEN IF YOU DON'T LIKE SPIDERS.

So please, for the sake of all the good in the world, if you are one of the people who seeks to breed violence in the world by abusing animals (and people for that matter) then go out back behind your house right now and drown yourself in a trashcan full of water.

The earth will thank you! wink
Posted by Carl  in  The US  on  Tue Sep 06, 2005  at  04:15 PM
Hey Carl, freakin news flash, people use bug spray, use those neat little bug zapper lights, You, yes even YOU murder bugs and insects when you walk, and I would put money on it that if you took apart your keyboard, you would find one or two bugs you crushed just typing your message about bug killings, lol!

Also, dont you find it a bit interesting that YOU CLICKED on an article called "Spider Milkshake"? Come on, I guess you thought it would be a picture of someone feeding a shake to a spider???

And yes, it is okay to post this "crap" because he RUNS the site! Go start your own and you can post all the "crap" you want to. Let us know the link.

aimee
Posted by NDTgirl  in  Memphis  on  Tue Sep 06, 2005  at  05:17 PM
Well, that escalated quickly...
Posted by Rhiannon  in  Australia  on  Fri May 10, 2013  at  11:28 PM