Rare planetary alignment decreases gravity, 1976
Actress who claimed she was kidnapped by puritans, 1950
Jernegan's Gold Accumulator Scam, 1898
The most sacred relic: the Holy Foreskin, circa 800 AD
The Instant Color TV Hoax, 1962
Adolf Hitler Baby Photo Hoax, 1933
Soldier Cutting Grass Found
image The Oregon Statesman Journal has an article about that photo of a soldier in Iraq tending a small plot of grass (which I posted here back in October). They identify the soldier as Warrant Officer Brook Turner stationed at Camp Cooke north of Baghdad. They even provide his email address in case you want to send him a happy New Year's message. Plus, they mention the Museum of Hoaxes in the article. The weird date on the photo which had everyone confused was apparently just a result of not resetting the camera's date after the batteries had been changed. So that's one mystery cleared up. Officer Turner, who's preparing to come home from Iraq soon to his home in Hawaii, seems pretty laid back about the whole episode, remarking that "Everyone seems to be a little more excited about it than me... I just planted some grass -- nothing big." (Thanks to Dwight Mears for forwarding me the article)
Categories: Military, Photos/Videos
Posted by The Curator on Fri Dec 31, 2004
Happy New Year Alex and all!
Posted by Darren  on  Fri Dec 31, 2004  at  05:40 PM
So it was real grass, really planted by a soldier in Iraq, but the part about shipping dirt and fertilizer over from the states was embellishment.
Posted by Big Gary C  in  Dallas, Texas  on  Fri Dec 31, 2004  at  05:49 PM
I also note that the story says the seeds his wife sent him didn't sprout, so he ended up buying some grass locally.
Posted by Big Gary C  in  Dallas, Texas  on  Fri Dec 31, 2004  at  05:51 PM
also, uh, they link you as http://www.museum-ofhoaxes.com ...
Posted by Jacob  on  Fri Dec 31, 2004  at  07:45 PM
I noticed that. Annoying. But out of my control.
Posted by The Curator  in  San Diego  on  Fri Dec 31, 2004  at  07:50 PM
You said they provided his email address; maybe I'm blind, because I failed to see it in the article.
Posted by Tornado  on  Sun Jan 02, 2005  at  01:09 AM
Look at the contact info in the column to the right of the article.
Posted by The Curator  in  San Diego  on  Sun Jan 02, 2005  at  02:27 AM
Poor guy. If it wasn't bad enough that he was all the way out there, the ants hauled away all his seeds from home? :p
Posted by Ponygirl  on  Sun Jan 02, 2005  at  08:40 AM
I can't stand yard work. I sure as hell wouldn't be doing it thousands of miles from home.
Posted by Maegan  in  Tampa, FL - USA  on  Mon Jan 03, 2005  at  01:35 PM
how much water did he waste growing that grass?
Posted by mike  in  il  on  Wed Sep 23, 2009  at  11:07 AM