Snake Wine
image I belong to the wine club of a local Southern California vineyard, but although they've sent me some nice merlots, chardonnays, etc., they have yet to send me any snake wine. Although I just found out about this stuff myself, evidently it's quite real, and fairly well known... at least in south-east Asia, where it's predominantly found. Snake wine consists of rice wine mixed with (you guessed it!) snake. You buy it in bottles with the snake coiled up inside (here's a picture). Very pleasant. Reportedly, the more venomous the snake, the better the wine. For a more in-depth account of snake wine, check out this article by Jerry Hopkins where he describes visiting the Snake King & Completely Restaurant in Guangzhou and sampling not only snake wine but also Five Testes & Penises Wine. (via Mostly Harmless)
Categories: Food
Posted by The Curator on Tue Aug 31, 2004
Hello,

No problem to import to the US for me, I bought a bottle on http://www.snake-wine-cobra.com

Very nice !
Posted by kay  on  Tue Oct 02, 2007  at  08:29 PM
the snake wine is real and i am watching it on discovery channel right now. that is why i got to this site
Posted by Steve Fortin, Sr.  in  vermont  on  Sat Mar 01, 2008  at  06:15 PM
Thank you I just received the parcel, great !!!
Posted by jenny  in  US  on  Sat Jul 19, 2008  at  03:02 PM
smilelys
Posted by Catherine Johnson  on  Sat May 02, 2009  at  06:18 AM
Dog meat is consumed in Vietnam to varying degrees of acceptability, though it predominantly exists in the North. It's a winter food which believed to keep you extraordinarily warm on cold nights. Dog meat is supposed to raise the libido and sometimes considered unsuitable for women. In other words, eating dog meat can serve as a male bonding exercise. Nevertheless, it is not uncommon for women to eat dog meat. The consumption of dog meat can be part of a ritual life which usually occurring in the end of the lunar month for reasons of astrology and luck. Restaurants which mainly exist to serve dog meat may only open for the last half of the lunar month.

Snakes are a common novelty and relished food. You can drink the wine as well as eat the flesh on several occasions.Lizards and frogs (best grilled) are standard fare in Phan Thiet.
Posted by Lucas  on  Thu Jan 21, 2010  at  10:29 PM
Where can we buy, any idea to find it?
Posted by Marquez  on  Wed Mar 10, 2010  at  03:49 PM
I am currently in Hanoi and believe me, snake wine is real and it is everywhere. I am debating whether I should bring back a bottle or be smart and just take a picture. Also, the dog meat thing is true. I went to a market today and saw dog meat. It was creepy
Posted by Ryan  in  Currently Vietnam  on  Thu Apr 08, 2010  at  11:14 AM
Do they have snake box wine?
Posted by trading ideas  in  la  on  Fri Dec 24, 2010  at  02:46 PM
I also received my 2 bottles package form this site sent to Australia, and no problem at all
Posted by kay  on  Sat Jan 22, 2011  at  05:59 AM
I also want to tell that this snake wine shop is good and I have received my order (4 bottles today)

Thanks for the info !
Posted by tina  on  Sun Sep 15, 2013  at  01:14 PM
Comments: Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2
Commenting is not available in this channel entry.