Snakes On A Plane (the movie)
Status: Seems to be real
When word got out that New Line Cinema was producing a movie titled Snakes On A Plane, starring Samuel Jackson, some people, assuming that no major studio would actually create a movie that stupid, thought it had to be a hoax. The minimalist plot outline (with bad grammar) added fuel to these suspicions:

On board a flight over the Pacific Ocean, an assassin, bent on killing a passenger who's a witness in protective custody, let loose a crate full of deadly snakes.

The hoax theory got a further boost when New Line decided not to launch an official website for the film. But now production photos from the set have been released, and Samuel Jackson has spoken publicly about it (refuting suggestions that the studio was going to rename the movie Pacific Air Flight 121), thereby tilting the balance in favor of the movie being real. I, for one, am looking forward to seeing it. But then, I'm easily entertained. Some of the sequel titles that people are inventing are pretty funny, such as Snakes on a Plane 2: Snakes on a Boat or Snakes on a Plane 9: Bears on a Train. According to the Urban Dictionary, The movie's title has also already entered popular speech as an expression of existential resignment:

snakes on a plane: A simple existential observation that has the same meaning as "Whaddya gonna do?" or "Shit Happens". Taken from the upcoming Samuel L. Jackson movie of the same name, and immortilised by screenwriter Josh Friedman on his blog post of Wednesday, August 17, 2005.
Guy 1: (irate) Dude, you just ran into the back of my SUV!
Guy 2: (calm) Snakes on a plane man. Snakes on a plane.
Entertainment
Posted by The Curator on Tue Oct 11, 2005 Comments (11)
I never heard the phrase used..
Posted by X  in  McKinney, TX  on  Tue Oct 11, 2005  at  11:59 AM
I actually saw a preview for this last week. It looks exactly as you would expect. Stupid.

Posted by Charybdis  in  Hell  on  Tue Oct 11, 2005  at  12:39 PM
I can't believe Sam Jackson would get involved in a project like this. I will hang my head in shame for him. I'm going to my room. Weeping.
Posted by BugbearSloth  in  EARTH  on  Tue Oct 11, 2005  at  01:46 PM
For some reason, I'm reminded of the Saturday Night Live skit with the cobras...
Posted by Laser Potato  in  in a dimension filled with custard  on  Tue Oct 11, 2005  at  02:07 PM
Snakes on a Plane 2: Electric Boogaloo.

I can see it now...

...

...I'll never be able to sleep again.
Posted by Yaanu  on  Tue Oct 11, 2005  at  04:43 PM
Entire thread dedicated to fake posters for alternate versions of the movie: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1686887&pagenumber=1
Here's a couple I made using the template (the second one is an X-Files referance):

I've been waiting all my life to see snakes on a plane. Someday they'll be allowed to travel like everyone else in real life, but untill then at least we can see the scenario brought to life on the big screen.
Posted by Reynard Muldrake  on  Wed Oct 12, 2005  at  07:45 AM
I can't wait to see this movie! I bet the dialog is intense!
Posted by Cathy  in  South Dakota  on  Wed Oct 12, 2005  at  09:31 AM
Reminds me of the Joe Pesci career-killing "Eight Heads in a Duffel Bag". Another odd project which caught my eye recently was John Woo's forthcoming version of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe:

Never mind who's going to be James Bond. I want to know who's going to be Skeletor.
Posted by Ashley Pomeroy  on  Wed Oct 12, 2005  at  05:46 PM
This was on Fark awhile ago. I didn't believe it.
Posted by someone  in  somewhere  on  Sun Apr 23, 2006  at  05:38 PM
"Guy 1: (irate) Dude, you just ran into the back of my SUV!
Guy 2: (calm) Snakes on a plane man. Snakes on a plane. "
===============================================

I call B.S.

Probably a self-fulfilling marketing prophecy.
Posted by SoxSweepAgain  in  NYC  on  Wed Jul 05, 2006  at  01:32 PM
I saw preview for this by mistake
Posted by School for Acting  in  USA  on  Tue Jan 06, 2009  at  12:21 AM
Commenting is not available in this channel entry.