Sky Disc of Nebra
image Yet another German archaeological fraud has possibly been uncovered. The Guardian reports that controversy has erupted over the authenticity of the 'Sky Disc of Nebra'. The disc, which shows the sun, moon and stars, was found in 1999 by two amateur metal detectors near the town of Nebra in Germany. It was believed to be 3600 years old. Now some experts, including Peter Schauer of Regensburg University, are claiming that it's a fake. This issue has arisen because the two guys who found it were charged with handling stolen goods after they tried to sell the disc to a museum. I don't really understand what the basis of the charge is. Were they not allowed to sell it because it's considered the property of the German government? Anyway, the basis of their defense is that the disc is fake, and therefore it is theirs to sell.
HistoryScience
Posted by The Curator on Wed Mar 02, 2005 Comments (14)
why does that thing make me think of Janet Jackson?
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Wed Mar 02, 2005  at  04:26 PM
'Cause your a filthy pervert Hairy...
Posted by Charybdis  in  Hell  on  Wed Mar 02, 2005  at  06:14 PM
Of course, now I thinking of Janet Jackson being chased by Pac Man so maybe I'm the pervert.
Posted by Charybdis  in  Hell  on  Wed Mar 02, 2005  at  06:15 PM
Okay, let's get Alex to post the Sky Disc of Nebra next to that infamous closeup of JJs nippleshield (otherwise known as the Joy Disc of Nobra), and see if'n there's no resemblance.
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Wed Mar 02, 2005  at  06:51 PM
I read about this in Archaeology Magazine a while back, it was considered to be questionable by the magazine as I remember (I haven't hunted down the article to verify) primarily because there had been no hard evidence to support the claims. And, yes, artifacts in Europe generally belong to the government. While stationed over in Germany I was briefed that if I found any artifacts I was to turn them over to the government. If the government decided that they didn't need the artifact, normally because they had too many of the sort, then the government might give it to you to keep.
Posted by Christopher Cole  in  Tucson, AZ  on  Wed Mar 02, 2005  at  07:08 PM
Want some mummies? Cheap?
Posted by Chadds Ford Prefect  on  Wed Mar 02, 2005  at  10:13 PM
I accede to Hairy's request only for the sake of furthering scientific knowledge... because a true scientist leaves no stone (or Joy Disc) unturned:
Posted by The Curator  in  San Diego  on  Wed Mar 02, 2005  at  11:59 PM
Ewww...I think I stepped in something...GAH! I have a huge glob of testosterone on my shoe!!
Posted by Maegan  in  Tampa, FL - USA  on  Thu Mar 03, 2005  at  07:01 AM
Now, now... you must admit the similarities. Slightly off-center, solar, circular... Science marches on
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Thu Mar 03, 2005  at  07:23 AM
It's the Sky Disk of *NebraSKA!*
Posted by cvirtue  on  Thu Mar 03, 2005  at  01:39 PM
whether artifacts belong to the state or not depends on which country you're in, and on hhow they're obtained (e.g. surface find, or excavated). But in Germany, every antiquity indeed belongs to the state.

- Marco (archaeologist)
Posted by LaMa  in  Europe  on  Thu Mar 03, 2005  at  05:13 PM
Do artifacts found on Janet Jackson's nipple automatically belong to the state?
Posted by Big Gary C  in  Dallas, Texas  on  Fri Mar 04, 2005  at  07:49 PM
I believe they do, Big Gary. The State of Delaware, as a matter of fact, due mainly to corporate-friendly tax structures, and demonic insurance regulations. Nice torts.
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Fri Mar 04, 2005  at  10:52 PM
Is this the one you got into Dutch with National Geograssic about?
Posted by Rijo  on  Sun Jul 03, 2005  at  10:53 PM
Commenting is not available in this channel entry.