The Society for Indecency to Naked Animals, 1959
Actress who claimed she was kidnapped by puritans, 1950
war of the worlds
The night Martians invaded New Jersey, 1938
The Crown Prince Regent of Thulia, 1954
Shot Glass Through Ear
Status: Real
image I'm assuming this photo of a guy with a shot glass through his ear is real because it was taken by a Reuters photographer (Jorge Silva) outside the World Social Forum in Caracas on January 25, 2006. The guy with the crazy ear piercing is "Venezuelan tattoo maker Constantino." So when he doesn't have a shot glass in his ear, his earlobes must hang down like big fleshy loops. That's got to be attractive. (And is that a spike through his nose?)
Categories: Body Manipulation
Posted by The Curator on Tue Feb 07, 2006
I saw that sort of thing once on Ripley's Believe it or Not. A quick google-image search on "Ear Plates" brought me to the below site. Front page says it's a photo report on a tour of Ethiopia.

Basically people start out with little holes in their lips and/or earlobes, and just keep stretching them ever so slightly with progressively larger plates/rings over the years. The most astounding picture is the second from the bottom of the page.

Posted by Mentle  in  Canada  on  Tue Feb 07, 2006  at  02:30 AM
Some people have odd hobbies. At least it's peaceful.
Posted by cvirtue  on  Tue Feb 07, 2006  at  05:40 AM
Yeah, I had a friend who was very into lobe stretching. The whole fleshy loops look was very unattractive (to me, at least).

What squicks me out is the idea you could catch them on something and tear them...
*shudder*
Posted by Boo  in  The Land of the Haggii...  on  Tue Feb 07, 2006  at  06:27 AM
And I'd imagine the spike is just a spiky nose stud, by the way. Fairly normal.
difficulties with taquiela aye?

he must look literally retarded trying to drink from the shot glass on nights out
Posted by Blood For Nothing  in  Somewhere in the Arctic  on  Tue Feb 07, 2006  at  07:48 AM
I used to have mine stretched. But his were halfway down to his shoulders and they squicked me out (for the reason I posted above).
Posted by Boo  in  The Land of the Haggii...  on  Wed Feb 08, 2006  at  03:46 PM
squicked me out

I've never heard that phrase before. Is that like "grossed me out"?
Posted by The Curator  in  San Diego  on  Wed Feb 08, 2006  at  04:45 PM
Heh.
It's more of a shuddery thing, rather than revolted.
I don't know where I got it from.
smile
Posted by Boo  in  The Land of the Haggii...  on  Wed Feb 08, 2006  at  04:55 PM
I use at as the phrase for (for example) hearing fingers down a blackboard.
The idea of the ears getting caught on something gives me the same sort of feeling.
Posted by Boo  in  The Land of the Haggii...  on  Wed Feb 08, 2006  at  04:56 PM
"It's more of a shuddery thing, rather than revolted.
I don't know where I got it from."

Around here, we say, "It gives me the heebie jeebies."
Posted by Big Gary, late for feeding time  in  Dallas, Texas, USA  on  Wed Feb 08, 2006  at  06:35 PM
...The stretching seems to be popular among the more alternative...
Posted by Maegan  in  Tampa, FL - USA  on  Wed Feb 08, 2006  at  08:22 PM
I think almost everyone that posted in this must be quite close minded. Not to mention the idiot that wrote the artical.

Yes, it's stretching your ears, quite a few people do it lately. His are large, yes. Yes they'd hang down when not wearing anything in them, but you know usually a person with stretched lobes wears jewelry in them.

And yes, like already stated, he has a nose stud. Oh big deal there's a spike on it.

People like this drive me insane. Wake up to the world, more and more teen's and older people are modding themselfs.

If it's such a big deal, I'm going to hate to see where you people stand in 20 years. When the modded are the ones making the money, and running the majority of industries.
Posted by Kryssa  in  PE, Canada  on  Fri Feb 10, 2006  at  12:24 PM
Yeah, it's cool. One of my friends can put about 10 Pens in his. He didn't want to go that far with it, but couldn't help himself.

I think it's cool and pretty sick. Oh Kryssa, that doesn't mean I'm closed minded babe. Laters!
Posted by Pro  on  Fri Feb 10, 2006  at  02:24 PM
I've known a guy in NYC for about 25 years or so who does the same thing. I used to play in a rock band with him. He'd put several cigarettes or a cigar tube in his lobe. He also put a Hula Hoop in it for a gig once. I've also seen him stick a bunch of feathers through it. He is an artist and was inspired by the African tribes that do similar things. I'll have to tell him about the shot glass...
Posted by jedhauck  on  Fri Feb 10, 2006  at  05:08 PM
People are welcome to modify themselves any way they want to; however, I find it ironic that our supposedly advanced generation cant do anything better in fashion than the practices of most primitive tribes.
Posted by chyca  on  Fri Feb 10, 2006  at  08:52 PM
Kryssa, that's a pretty judgemental thing to say. I don't know if you missed where I said that I used to have mine stretched, and I don't know if you missed where I said why it freaked me out (nothing to do with how it looks or anything). Oh, and I have spiky nose studs (amongst others) too.

You appear to be the only one getting on your high horse around here, considering that you have no idea what the posters on here are like themselves.
Posted by Boo  in  The Land of the Haggii...  on  Sat Feb 11, 2006  at  09:26 AM
That's awesome to each their own!
Personally I'm modified. If it makes him feel beautiful to put a shot glass threw his ear good for him, I like putting cigs and straws in mine.
I think the flaw in our culture is that when people modify themselfs slightly by getting tattoos or pericings they might looked down upon as if they're "hurting" themselfs. But Plastic surgry can make people much more awful looking and can do seriously awful things, where's a post about that?
Posted by Adrienne  in  Denver Colorado  on  Sun Mar 12, 2006  at  02:23 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
NO! corporate america Will NEVER EVER EVER accept earlobes hanging down to your shoulders and studs everywhere the only industry "modders" as you call them will run is the modding industry and you can have it... im not sayin dont do it but really the vast majority look down on it and think its gross
Posted by jims  on  Wed Apr 05, 2006  at  09:57 AM
my horse is higher than kryssa's grin
Posted by jims  on  Wed Apr 05, 2006  at  10:01 AM
If you really think that body modification and the stereotypes behind them are not going to change look up some stats.

Example: on tattoos..

ROCHESTER, NY, Oct 8, 2003 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- A recent Harris Poll found that 16% of all adults have at least one tattoo. Among Americans ages 25 to 29 years (36%) and 30 to 39 years (28%). Regionally, people living in the West (20%) are more likely to have tattoos.

It didn't mention people ages of 18 - 25 which I'm sure the percentage is even higher. Think what you will about this mans lobes and body mods, but it's a changing world. Get over it, move on. No ones telling you to do it, let people do what makes them happy.
Posted by Adrienne  on  Thu Apr 06, 2006  at  06:24 AM
good point but it still will not be accepted in the business world
Posted by jims  on  Wed Apr 19, 2006  at  08:50 AM
It wont change in the business world?
Ever?.. Can I see some facts, thanks.
Posted by Adrienne  on  Fri Apr 21, 2006  at  02:48 AM