Samsung invents the on/off switch
The Case of the Vanishing Belly Button, 1964
Van Gogh's ear exhibited, 1935
Rachael Ray cooks her family and her dog
The Great Space Monkey Hoax, 1953
Swiss peasants harvest spaghetti from trees, 1957
The Nazi Air Marker Hoax, 1942
Eccentric's last prank, 66 years after his death, 1900
Did Poe say 'The best things in life make you sweaty'?
Pierre Brassau, Monkey Artist, 1964
Shark Head
Status: Real
image Museum of Hoaxers helped make last week's Real-or-Not Challenge at Divester.com it's most popular yet. So we're now getting a special heads-up (pun intended) each time they post a new Real-or-Not challenge. Their latest photo shows a shark in all its "bug-eyed, needle-tooth glory." I would vote real, but that's just my personal, non-expert opinion. Maybe it's a trick. I'll post the answer here (not in a new post) when it's revealed.

Update: It's real. This is a photo of a crocodile shark. It's a small shark with large eyes for hunting in deep waters.

Related Post: Shark Photos
Categories: Animals, Photos/Videos
Posted by The Curator on Sat Jul 01, 2006
I find this to be rather similar to the fad of enlarging animals features now seen on cards, notebooks and etc. It's a rather strange fad but my cousin's children seem to collect stuff with animals that have these enlarged eyes, noses, heads, etc.

However, if the shark here is from a great depth within the ocean, it may have need for huge eyes, but I'm still thinking it is a photoshopped picture.
Posted by rainoubliette  on  Sat Jul 01, 2006  at  03:39 PM
I believe this is fake. Unless this is a freak of nature. Sharks have small eyes, that is the reason they have a great sense of taste. That is how they hunt their prey. I think! Thats the reason they are attracted to blood and chum. Not by their sight. Maybe I am wrong, OH WELL
Posted by Guy  in  South Louisiana  on  Sat Jul 01, 2006  at  06:04 PM
It looks like it's real, but it's a very young shark, maybe even an unborn one (some sharks lay eggs and others bear live young, by the way). Like many other baby animals, baby sharks have disproportionately large eyes compared with adults.
Posted by Big Gary  in  Crawford, Texas  on  Sat Jul 01, 2006  at  10:49 PM
I'd say it's real.
Posted by Trotsky  on  Sun Jul 02, 2006  at  12:46 AM
I'd say it is fake. But at first I voted real. Unless it is a shark as in a fish in the shark family. It may be a fresh water shark, some of those have rather large eyes. Ocean sharks have beady little eyes so they can protect them easier when attacking. At any rate, I am obviously torn.
Posted by thephrog  on  Sun Jul 02, 2006  at  01:27 AM
I'd vote for real, tho a juvenile. Just don't see any point in faking this small shark print. The teeth are pretty cool, tho.
Posted by stork  in  the spiracles of space  on  Sun Jul 02, 2006  at  03:06 AM
real for me, maybe a small mutated one
Posted by frank  on  Sun Jul 02, 2006  at  05:29 AM
Big Gary is the 'Museum of Hoaxes Deputy Curator in charge of Fish' (MoHDCicoF). So if he says it's real, then it's real.
Posted by The Curator  in  San Diego  on  Sun Jul 02, 2006  at  01:32 PM
Real, juvenile...
Posted by LaMa  in  Europe  on  Sun Jul 02, 2006  at  02:22 PM
Hi, this is Willy from Divester, the site hosting the Real or Not? poll. First, I wanted to say thanks for taking the time to come to Divester and cast your vote as to the shark's authenticity. Second, I wanted to say I'm impressed with everyone's detective skills. It's interesting to read what people think about the image. Answer coming soon!
Posted by Willy  in  Florida  on  Sun Jul 02, 2006  at  07:21 PM
Gosh, you seem to be giving everyone Deputy Curatorships, Alex!
Posted by Smerk  in  to mischief  on  Sun Jul 02, 2006  at  10:56 PM
Cool observation, Smerk. Okay, Alex, can I de Deputy Curator in charge of Military Affairs? I would seem to be qualified, as a retired senior non-com from the U.S. Army, and all. How about, unofficially, at least? I won't let you down. Thanks, Smerk, you lovely Aussie, I believe. - Dan
Posted by stork  in  the spiracles of space  on  Sun Jul 02, 2006  at  11:26 PM
Excuse me, can't find edit. I meant, could I BE the Deputy ICoMArs? C'mon, Alex, be a sport. -Dan
Posted by stork  in  the spiracles of space  on  Sun Jul 02, 2006  at  11:32 PM
Looks to me like a crocodile shark

But could be a fake one. But that'd be weird. Weireder still is the goblin shark.

Posted by GoldJon  on  Thu Jul 06, 2006  at  12:59 AM
Divester says it's real.
Posted by Meerkat  in  austrailia  on  Wed Jul 12, 2006  at  05:10 PM
it looks like a shark-like Oompa Loompa.
Posted by Anguirus  on  Sun Aug 27, 2006  at  10:36 PM