Female thieves hide money in their bras, 1950
The worms inside your face
Monkeys pick cotton, a 19th-century urban legend
The Sandpaper Test, 1960
Sober Sue, the woman who never smiled, 1907
Dead Body of Loch Ness Monster Found, 1972
Paul Krassner's Stereophonic Hoax, 1960
The Great Electric Sugar Swindle, 1884
war of the worlds
The night Martians invaded New Jersey, 1938
September Morn, the painting that shocked the censor, 1913
Santa Claus Currency
The Daily Record reports on a stupid counterfeit scheme that almost worked:

A FORGER convinced a cashier a £20 note was real - despite Santa Claus and his reindeer being on it. Stacey Rice's self-made Santa Christmas Bank note promised to pay the bearer nothing and listed Santa as the bank's "chief operating officer" with his address as the North Pole. But Rice, 27, was still able to pass it off as genuine in an "astonishing" scam, a court heard. She duped a gullible cashier at a gym and the woman gave Rice change of the £20 in smaller denominations.

It reminds me of the phony $200 George Bush bills that people often try to pass off. Here's a question to ponder: Is it dumber to accept a bill with George Bush on it, or Santa Claus?
Categories: Business/Finance, Scams
Posted by The Curator on Tue Jun 17, 2008
You only really need something in the shape of a dollar bill to fool someone.

Blank paper, even. cool hmm
Posted by Scrooge  on  Tue Jun 17, 2008  at  10:13 PM
A few weeks ago while in a store, I picked up from the floor, what looked like a folded $20 US bill... I opened it up, only to find it printed with the words (sic) "Dissapointed? You wouldn't be if you voted for Ron Paul..." Okay, the BigAss Blue Signs are bad enuff, but fake 20's? That's cold. You owe me twenty, Dr. Paul, and I don't mean pushups
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Wed Jun 18, 2008  at  01:50 AM
Well, there *are* companies that will doctor up an existing $20 with santa claus, usually via some variety of sticker or the like, such that it can be given as a gift. You can do a search for them easily enough.

As for Hairy's story, Ron Paul isn't the only one to do it. I remember back when I was homeless and hungry, I was walking when I saw a folded-up $20. I was elated.. but I was responsible.. I asked if anyone had dropped it.. no..? Well, ok.. guess it's mine. This was great, truly a good day, as that $20 would be enough for three days worth of food, and maybe a load of laundry if I...

... it turned out to be a religious tract, denouncing the evils of money.. Yeah.. great. Thanks God.. no really..
Posted by Robin Bobcat  in  Californian Wierdo  on  Wed Jun 18, 2008  at  03:42 AM
I heard George Bush was fooled by one of those Santa Claus bills.
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Wed Jun 18, 2008  at  04:55 AM
"...Is it dumber to accept a bill with George Bush on it, or Santa Claus?"

The Bush one, of course. There's a rule that living people aren't supposed to appear on U.S. currency. I don't think there's any such rule about mythological entities.
Posted by Big Gary  in  Cash, Texas  on  Fri Jun 20, 2008  at  05:32 PM
"There's a rule that living people aren't supposed to appear on U.S. currency."

What about "dead from the neck up"?
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Fri Jun 20, 2008  at  09:58 PM
In the spirit of the story, there is the old joke about a counterfitter who made up a batch of bad bills - $8 denomination. He decided to try and pass them off in a backwoods country store with the idea that backwoods people wouldn't tell the difference. So he goes into a country store and asks the clerk for change. The clerk gives him two $4 bills.
Posted by Christopher Cole  in  Tucson AZ  on  Sat Jun 21, 2008  at  03:30 PM