Mencken's fake history of the bathtub, 1917
Life discovered on the moon, 1835
Rachael Ray cooks her family and her dog
A black lion: real or fake?
Baby Yoga, aka Swinging Your Kid Around Your Head
Iceberg floats into Sydney Harbor, 1978
The Great Electric Sugar Swindle, 1884
The Diaphote, a television hoax, 1880
The damp spot that hoaxed a city, 1912
The Lovely Feejee Mermaid, 1842
Riding The Tiger
image I found this picture posted on Weird Asia News. It could easily be real. Especially if that woman has some experience handling tigers (though she doesn't look like she does). Or the tiger is really tame. My hunch is that it is real. However, I wouldn't be willing to sit on a tiger's back. My cat is vicious enough, and she's a lot smaller. So assuming that it is real, I wonder what the story behind it is. Maybe you pay a buck and have your picture taken with a tiger, and hope you don't get killed.
Categories: Animals, Photos/Videos
Posted by The Curator on Mon Feb 12, 2007
I'd say it's real. It seems right up Sriraka's alley. They're becoming rather infamous for their tiger antics. I don't know that the image is from their zoo, but it doesn't seem unreasonable that they or somebody else would try this to entice visitors, especially some small-time zoo or circus.
Posted by Charybdis  in  Hell  on  Mon Feb 12, 2007  at  06:52 PM
Or maybe you pay a buck and have your picture taken with a *stuffed* tiger.
Posted by Big Gary  in  Turkey, Texas  on  Mon Feb 12, 2007  at  06:53 PM
There once was a lady from Niger
who smiled as she rode on a tiger.
When they finished the ride,
the lady was inside,
and the smile on the face of the tiger.

--Anonymous (not really, but I don't remember who was the author)
Posted by Big Gary  in  Turkey, Texas  on  Mon Feb 12, 2007  at  06:56 PM
Yah, i'm with big gary on this one.
Posted by Razela  in  Chicago, IL  on  Tue Feb 13, 2007  at  02:26 AM
Hmm, this comes right one day after a very sad event in a Belgian Zoo. A lady there walked into the cheetah cage (she had adopted one of the cheetah's as a pup). And didn't survive that. And what's a cheetah compared to a tiger?
Posted by LaMa  in  Europe  on  Tue Feb 13, 2007  at  04:24 AM
The tiger looks very relaxed. Maybe it's been dosed with something beforehand.
Posted by Accipiter  on  Tue Feb 13, 2007  at  07:13 AM
Heh, is it a bit of a worry that when I saw the title of this post I immediately thought of tai chi?

There're a few moves in our tai chi form which involve taming and riding tigers...the venerable old sages who named the moves had to have gotten their inspiration from somewhere, right?
Posted by Smerk  in  to mischief  on  Tue Feb 13, 2007  at  07:48 AM
Yeah, I'm sure it could be publicity thing at a zoo...w/ a doped or well trained tiger.
Posted by Maegan  in  Tampa, FL - USA  on  Tue Feb 13, 2007  at  09:45 AM
It could be a stuffed tiger, but the fencing makes me think it's alive. Otherwise, wouldn't you display it in a more 'natural' environment?
Posted by Charybdis  in  Hell  on  Tue Feb 13, 2007  at  12:47 PM
Posted by OU  in  River City  on  Tue Feb 13, 2007  at  12:48 PM
"My friend's wife took a picture with a really tame tiger (I think it was actually declawed) during their honeymoon in the Caribbean."

Declawed? Yeah, that would make me feel _real_ safe... hmmm
Posted by eovti  in  Sandefjord, Norway  on  Tue Feb 13, 2007  at  04:59 PM
Uhhh...That tiger may be doped but not stuffed.

Most taxidermists would never stuff an animal that has that look on his face.

The tiger is clearly getting pissed off. Thinking: "bitch you'd better get off my back!"
Posted by EZ  in  San Diego  on  Tue Feb 13, 2007  at  05:58 PM
Actually that tiger is not upset at all. He looks rather calm and contented to me (and while I'm not tiger expert, I do know cats, and the expression is the same as that on any resting housecat)

Anyways, I actually know some folks in Tennessee who used to keep a pet lion many, many years ago. It was quite safe to be around and behaved like a giant house cat, from what I've heard. Other folks also sometimes keep pet lions or tigers and they never have anything to worry about. I've even heard about one rich eccentric guy who goes swimming with his tigers.

The ones you see in circuses are deliberately NOT correctly tamed, because, let's face it, it's not as interesting to see a lazy, perfectly happy giant housecat purring his face off at the trainer.
Posted by catwhowalksbyhimself  on  Tue Feb 13, 2007  at  06:21 PM
yah, but did they sit on their pet tigers?
Posted by Razela  in  Chicago, IL  on  Tue Feb 13, 2007  at  08:27 PM
>>>Other folks also sometimes keep pet lions or tigers and they never have anything to worry about.<<<

I take it, for the sake of supporting your point, that you're deliberately ignoring the fact that several people every year are injured or killed by their pet big cats?

"never have anything to worry about" is a gross misstatement. Tigers, lions, and cheetahs are always wild animals, no matter how tame they may have become, and are always capable of hurting people who don't respect that. Keep thinking of lions as 'big housecats' and you're a good candidate for finding that out the hard way.
Posted by Barghest  on  Tue Feb 13, 2007  at  10:29 PM
Yes; even playing with just a six-pound domesticated cat, I've ended up with the occasional scratch or bite when she got carried away. Plus there's all the times she's playfully pounced on me or swatted at me. If a tiger gets over-excited while playing. . .that would be unpleasant. Big cats can be dangerous even when they don't intend to be.
Posted by Accipiter  on  Wed Feb 14, 2007  at  01:40 AM
Yes, it's real. My brother and sister in law did this a couple of months ago in China. I have seen the photos. The tiger is very well fed and does get a bit angry at times, then the handler shoos the tourists out of the pen. I'll ask him exactly (my brother-in-law, not the tiger!) where the tiger is, or direct him to this site, perhaps he can share a pic or two smile

It's invasive, and not dignified for one of the world's most maginificent creatures, but perhaps better than being eaten, and this time I am talking about the tiger.
Posted by Bianca Mc Murphy  in  Australia  on  Wed Feb 14, 2007  at  07:35 AM
I think it's sad to degrade a tiger this much :(
Posted by thunder  in  England  on  Thu Feb 15, 2007  at  07:38 PM
When I was in first grade (Late Cretaceous Period) I went on a class field trip to The Bronx Zoo, and gang-rode a giant tortise with at least half-a-dozen other small humans... I felt bad about it later, not because I thought the stupid mutiple-kid saddle strapped to the big lug hurt him in any way physically, but he did look kinda aware that he was being treated as a beast of baby burden, and the inherant loss of dignity foisted upon him along with our Bosco-stained butts... and he looked at me with that 120-year-old Turtle Eye, y'know? Like: "I'm gonna remember this, you punk... I got a good sense of smell, and I'm gonna slowly follow your ass upstate and kill you in your sleep"... brrr... turtle eyes...
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Thu Feb 15, 2007  at  08:02 PM
Big GAry, I remember reading that poem many years ago, back in high school I think. I can't remember the author either. And that tiget has that look of "any second now I'll get pissed" on his/her face. Tigers are beautiful, but among cats I prefer the catamount, or puma, or mountain lion, or whatever your local designation is. I wonder, does the park or zoo ro whatever sell insurance before alowing someone to sit on the beast?
Posted by Christopher Cole  in  Tucson, AZ  on  Sat Feb 17, 2007  at  06:06 PM
Tigers can SEEM tame when raised in captivity, but they always have the instinct of a predator and that instinct can kick in without warning. Working with them is very rewarding, but you are always on your toes! I know when to back away...they let me know if I'm getting too close or if they feel threatened, but I would NEVER try anything as stupid as this. Sitting on their back can make them feel cornered or under attack. It is not a good idea to sit on a tiger's back, even if you're a "trusted" handler. Sooner or later, their instinct will kick in and a human will get mauled or killed because of this ignorance and stupidity.
I really wish I could kick people that think they are house cats. Big cats deserve respect and people should never feel they should be domesticated.

On another note.....why is MOH not being updated as often anymore?????
Posted by Craig  on  Sat Feb 17, 2007  at  10:58 PM
Craig, you are completely right. Just ask Roy whathisname. Can he even walk yet? Tigers look beautiful but who wants to end up as kitty litter?
Posted by Christopher Cole  in  Tucson, AZ  on  Sat Feb 17, 2007  at  11:02 PM
Craig, you must've missed the posts where Alex has said that he's busy writing a new book. Meanwhile, Boo (AKA Flora) is helping him keep the main page updated. And if you see any articles which may be MoH-worthy, please forward them on through the <a >contact</a> page.
Posted by Smerk  in  to mischief  on  Sun Feb 18, 2007  at  12:44 AM
CC, I saw it coming with S&W. They are idiots. Shows and circuses like that should be banned. I've seen way too many animals come from them abused, mistreated and stressed/depressed...yeah, they get depressed just like us.

Thanks Smerk, I didn't catch it. I did send in something about a month ago but never heard anything or saw anything about it here....
Posted by Craig  on  Sun Feb 18, 2007  at  02:36 PM
S&R....not W....although he is dumb enough to do that.
Posted by Craig  on  Sun Feb 18, 2007  at  02:37 PM
I cuddled a tiger.
There is a Buddhist monk run monastery in western Thailand called Tiger Temple. The monks are taming the tigers and tourists can go there to pet, hug and cuddle the tigers and to make some pictures
Posted by Lizzy  in  Austria  on  Mon Feb 19, 2007  at  10:30 AM
Christopher sez:
"I wonder, does the park or zoo ro whatever sell insurance before alowing someone to sit on the beast?"

Remind me not to buy stock in any insurance company that sells policies for sitting on the backs of live tigers.
There's a saying in the insurance business, "Never insure a house that's on fire."

Lizzy adds:
"... There have been already some deadly incidents but in general it
Posted by Big Gary  in  Terlingua, Texas  on  Mon Feb 19, 2007  at  11:18 AM
Hey BigGary: if you think that hugging a tiger is dangerous, than try flying with an Cambodian air plane!

I did it once - and believe me, it was my last time as well. I could feel a heavy, cold airstream comming from the window, I was afraid the window would break any time; the seat next to me was lose, I could have taken it and put it in the aisle; I coudn't complain to the stewardess as there simply was no staff on the plane. (but I do hope it had at least a pilot!)

Honestly speaking: I would love to go back to the tigers compared to flying a plane in Cambodia.
Posted by toni  on  Mon Feb 19, 2007  at  11:34 AM
Big Gary, Lizzie, it's called Death Railway not because of the tigers but because it was built by POW slave labor during WW II and thousands died. The formerly famous movie "The Bridge over the River Kwai" showed part of it, albeit cleaned up Hollywood style.
Posted by Christopher Cole  in  Tucson, AZ  on  Mon Feb 19, 2007  at  05:26 PM
There are plenty of big cat owners even in the USA that have footage of them riding lions and tigers (seen photos on the web of a USAnian woman riding her pet lion on her ranch). Reputable zoos won't do this sort of thing, lots of Asian animal shows will. Most aren't zoos but breed in bulk, the younger animals are used in shows and photos and the old ones sold for Chinese medicine. There was a really big tiger farm in Thailand doing this. However tame they seem, big cats are never really domestic. Even when they're just playing with you, they can kill you.
Posted by Sarah  in  England  on  Tue Feb 20, 2007  at  02:54 AM
Comments: Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >