Bizarre pictographs of Emmanuel Domenech, 1860
Dog wins art contest, 1974
Pierre Brassau, Monkey Artist, 1964
Snowball the Monster Cat, 2000
Brief History of Triple-Decker Buses
Life discovered on the moon, 1835
Vilcabamba, the town of very old people, 1978
Religious urban legends that refuse to die
Even though the famous atheist’s body [Madalyn Murray O’Hair] was discovered in 1998 and positively identified in Texas -- and even though she apparently has been dead since she disappeared in 1995 -- patently false rumors about her alleged anti-Christian campaigns continue to spread. Credulous Christians who once forwarded these kinds of rumors in mimeographed chain letters or spread them on talk radio now can broadcast them around the world with the mere click of a mouse.

Link: apbnews.com
(Thanks, Big Gary!)
Categories: Religion, Urban Legends
Posted by The Curator on Wed Oct 21, 2009
Back in the 80's, I lived in Phillipsburg, NJ. I happened to go into the local Penny Savers newspaper office one day. On the counter was a petition for people to sign to keep atheists from forcing the FCC to take all the religious radio stations off the air.

Being younger and more naive back then, I explained to the woman behind the counter that this was an old urban legend and that getting rid of the religious stations would be unconstitutional and could never happen. Silly me, I thought she'd say, "Oh, really? Thank you for telling me that." Instead, she replied, "Well, this will keep them from thinking they can do it."

Prior to that, I guess I sort-of knew that facts don't really matter to religious fanatics, but this was a practical lesson in that truth.
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Wed Oct 21, 2009  at  05:26 AM
Never underestimate the power of stupidity / ignorance of people in large groups.
Posted by KDP  in  Madill, OK  on  Wed Oct 21, 2009  at  11:04 AM
Reminds me of the lies about Darwin's deathbed rejection of his theories of evolution. Christians will stop at nothing to convert souls.

Early church father Eusebius even admitted to it and claimed it was ok since the intentions were to save souls.
Posted by Madd Maxx  in  New Orleans  on  Wed Oct 21, 2009  at  01:43 PM
by their own rules, breaking the "thou shall not bear false witness" commanment should mean one less soul in heaven(their own)....i have been reseaching the creationist argument in the past few weeks (very lightly for my own curiosity) but only and found lies repeated once and again,,that and sentences taken out of content,,,its incredible to me.
Posted by mario  in  new joysey  on  Wed Oct 21, 2009  at  03:22 PM
All those who think that "AaronW" is a creep and hate him, raise your hands.
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Fri Oct 23, 2009  at  06:54 AM
No more estimation of these things
Posted by nicoledqe  in  Alpharetta  on  Sat Oct 31, 2009  at  11:40 AM
What my client would dearly love to know, givne your technical superiority, the geographic localisation of you foes and the advantages that would acrue once the deed was done as with your fisrt Civila War against slave owners - why do you athiests not deal with the Christian problem in your country once and for all?
Posted by D F Stuckey  in  Auckland New Zealand  on  Sun Nov 15, 2009  at  08:56 PM