Bonsai Kittens, 2000
Can a bar of soap between your sheets ease muscle cramps?
The Hoaxing Hitchhiker, 1941
The most sacred relic: the Holy Foreskin, circa 800 AD
Vilcabamba, the town of very old people, 1978
The Diaphote, a television hoax, 1880
Rachael Ray cooks her family and her dog
Eccentric's last prank, 66 years after his death, 1900
The Cradle of the Deep, a literary hoax, 1929
The Olympic Underwear Relay, 1956
Red Iceberg
Status: Real
image Here's an odd image I found floating around on the web. It looks photoshopped, but it turns out that it's real. A Danish artist, Marco Evaristti, spray-painted an iceberg red back in 2004 to make some kind of artistic statement. As this MSNBC article explains:

Evaristti and his crew sailed in two ice breakers from the small town of Ilullissat, Greenland, on Wednesday, and zigzagged among icebergs for about 30 minutes before they found the perfect frozen canvas. Working in minus 9 degree weather, it took about two hours for the 40-year-old artist to paint the exposed tip of the iceberg, a volume of nearly 10,000 square feet.

Evaristti is known for other controversial work:

Evaristti, who was born in Chile, drew widespread attention — and disdain — when he displayed 10 working blenders filled with goldfish in a Danish gallery in 2000. He invited guests to turn the devices on and someone did, grinding up a pair of goldfish. The gallery director was tried on charges of animal cruelty, but acquitted.
Categories: Photos/Videos
Posted by The Curator on Tue Jan 03, 2006
Jeez, even those drug truth comercials with the 20 goldfish in a cooler with and inch or so of water in it and them just flipping and flopping around makes me uncomfortable, goldfish remains in a blender? truly sad

reminds of my name

Blood Fish snake
Posted by Blood For Nothing  in  Somewhere in the Arctic  on  Tue Jan 03, 2006  at  02:40 PM
What a bastard. That's just horrible...

If there's one thing I hate, it's animal cruelty. These people are insane if they think killing an innocent creature is artistic in the least.
Posted by Sakano  in  Ohio  on  Tue Jan 03, 2006  at  05:40 PM
I hope he used a red paint that's biodegradable, but given his record I doubt it. I hate how publicity stunts are considered "art" nowadays.
Posted by Citizen Premier  in  spite of public outcry  on  Wed Jan 04, 2006  at  12:35 AM
Shouldn't he be arrested for pollution and vandalism?
Posted by Craig  on  Wed Jan 04, 2006  at  07:22 AM
Did anyone else notice that the article confused square feet with volume? Why are reporters and editors so bloddy innumerate?
Posted by JoeSixpack  on  Wed Jan 04, 2006  at  10:24 AM
I mean, BLOODY innumerate. I guess I'm a bloody illiterate.
Posted by JoeSixpack  on  Wed Jan 04, 2006  at  10:25 AM
Animal cruelty? Heh, I don't think you need to worry about that much in the case of fish.
Posted by J  on  Wed Jan 04, 2006  at  11:38 PM
i agree... goldfish getting chewed up in a blender isnt like gutting a horse in the middle of downtown. they arent exactly the longest living creatures anyway. i agree that true animal cruelty is bad. but if anyone is worried about 2 goldfish that were gonna be belly up the next day anyway, i better never see them eat a hamburger. or swat a fly. besides i dont think they felt much... have you ever used a blender?
Posted by Foxphyre  on  Thu Jan 05, 2006  at  01:11 AM
It is animal cruelty. If cared for properly, goldfish can live for up to four years or longer. Besides, who cares how long their lifespan is?

I'm just a lot more sensitive to these things than other people are, I guess. And I still don't think it's art. Any low-life sicko can put fish in a blender and turn it on.
Posted by Sakano  on  Thu Jan 05, 2006  at  06:32 AM
Also, just to reassure Foxphyre...I happen to be a vegan, and I take flies (among other bugs) outside in cups.
Posted by Sakano  on  Thu Jan 05, 2006  at  06:33 AM
Goldfish, properly cared for, can live 50 years or more.
10-15 years is not at all unusual.
Posted by Big Gary, aquarium wonk  in  Dallas, Texas  on  Thu Jan 05, 2006  at  07:53 PM
I don't think it's art, but I feel I must point out that he didn't kill any goldfish. One of the viewers did.
Posted by Boo  in  The Land of the Haggii...  on  Sun Jan 08, 2006  at  09:21 PM
They're goldfish! Who the heck cares??? People buy them to feed to their snakes and pirahnas!
Posted by Brian  in  Chicago  on  Tue Jan 10, 2006  at  05:28 PM
I can understand people who buy goldfish to feed to snakes and pirahnas. But those goldfish aren't wasted...they actually died for a reason. It's idiotic to kill a goldfish just because you can, to make some sort of "statement."
Posted by Sakano  in  Ohio  on  Tue Jan 10, 2006  at  05:31 PM