The Lovely Feejee Mermaid, 1842
The damp spot that hoaxed a city, 1912
Taco Bells buys the Liberty Bell, 1996
Brief History of Triple-Decker Buses
The Crown Prince Regent of Thulia, 1954
Pierre Brassau, Monkey Artist, 1964
Swiss peasants harvest spaghetti from trees, 1957
The worms inside your face
Fake Photos of Very Large Animals
Real-Life Fight Club for Techies
Status: Undetermined
The Associated Press reports that software engineers in Menlo Park, CA, taking a cue from the movie Fight Club, have begun forming real-life fight clubs in which they pummel each other senseless after work:

They may sport love handles and Ivy League degrees, but every two weeks, some Silicon Valley techies turn into vicious street brawlers in a real-life, underground fight club. Kicking, punching and swinging every household object imaginable -- from frying pans and tennis rackets to pillowcases stuffed with soda cans -- they beat each other mercilessly in a garage in this bedroom community south of San Francisco. Then, bloodied and bruised, they limp back to their desks in the morning.

This could very well be true. Probably is. But it sounds kind of comical, like nerd combat. I'm wondering if the techies dress up as Captain Kirk and Spock when they fight each other. Also, it's not clear to me how the reporter learned of these techie fight clubs, or if he personally witnessed them.
Categories: Sports
Posted by The Curator on Tue May 30, 2006
For some reason, I'm picturing a lot of slapping and broken glasses.
Posted by AqueousBoy  on  Tue May 30, 2006  at  05:02 PM
Old vids of what i think is the same thing.

Posted by JP  in  UK  on  Tue May 30, 2006  at  08:03 PM
My vision for this is more like the Stooges' Joe Besser in a slap fight with Charles Nelson Reilly...
Posted by booch  on  Tue May 30, 2006  at  08:10 PM
I saw some footage of this on a news program (the program claimed the footage was of this nerd fight club) and they all had on head gear and pads and stuff. Not very manly LOL

Booch, I think Charles Nelson Reilly could beat the stuffing out of these guys from what I saw.
Posted by Chuck  in  Rhode Island  on  Wed May 31, 2006  at  08:52 AM
*contented sigh*
Nerd fight clubs.

For some reason, this makes me a very happy girl.
smile
Posted by Boo  in  The Land of the Haggii...  on  Wed May 31, 2006  at  08:58 AM
Christian attends a nerd fight club every week and comes home covered in bruises and aching.

It's called soccer.
Posted by Nettie  in  Perth, Western Australia  on  Wed May 31, 2006  at  11:54 AM
I hope this fight club story is true.

I know some people I want to nominate for membership.
Posted by Big Gary  in  Gun Barrel City, Texas, USA  on  Wed May 31, 2006  at  06:56 PM
The first rule of nerd fight club is YOU DO NOT TALK ABOUT NERD FIGHT CLUB!
Posted by Tyler Durden  on  Thu Jun 01, 2006  at  03:29 PM
nerd fight club - haha! inspite of my fun i gonna watch the movie one more time. it's drive me crazy!
Posted by arnold  on  Thu Oct 11, 2007  at  10:28 AM