Sober Sue, the woman who never smiled, 1907
Actress who claimed she was kidnapped by puritans, 1950
Cursed by Allah
Fake Fish Photos
The Nazi Air Marker Hoax, 1942
Dead Body of Loch Ness Monster Found, 1972
Did Paul McCartney die on Nov. 9, 1966?
The Great New York Zoo Escape Hoax, 1874
The disumbrationist art hoax, 1924
Prof. Wingard's Death Ray Hoax, 1876
Quick Links: Feb 14, 2008
Guy convinces girl he's a vampire-werewolf hybrid
An unusual, but apparently effective pickup strategy. The guy was later charged with statutory sexual assault since he was 19 and she was 15. To prove to police that he was a genuine vampire/werewolf, he showed them his canine teeth. The police pointed out to him that "all mammals, including humans, have canine teeth."

German museum discovers its Monet is a fake
The clues: a retraced signature, it was painted over a drawing that was clearly not a Monet, and a "colourless substance" had been applied to make the painting look older.

Boston man receives postcard from 1929
Could this be the work of the Lost Postcard Rescue Department?

Kid who spotted the Titanic hoax photos nominated for journalism award
I posted about the hoax Titanic photos back in Aug 2007. It's nice for the kid to get an award.
Categories: Art, Sex/Romance
Posted by The Curator on Thu Feb 14, 2008

LOL
Posted by Archibold  on  Thu Feb 14, 2008  at  08:47 PM
I believe anteaters don't have canine teeth. He could have scored a few points if he claimed he started out as an anteater but grew canines with the full moon.
Posted by Mark  on  Fri Feb 15, 2008  at  12:28 AM
thats pretty darn funny, didnt he ever look inside anyones mouth
Posted by JoOdd  on  Fri Feb 15, 2008  at  02:58 AM
well, it *is* possible for a human to have more pronounced canines than other humans.. My own, due to dental misalignment, have ground down nearly flat on the left side.

Sounds like one of those self-deluded 'otherkin' folks; the ones who manage to convince themselves they really are werewolves, vampires, or ancient dragons in disguise.
Posted by Robin Bobcat  in  Californian Wierdo  on  Fri Feb 15, 2008  at  04:00 AM
I don't think the kid's getting the award - the folks who wrote the story about the kid are.
Posted by btsculptor  on  Fri Feb 15, 2008  at  08:40 AM
...this happened near my town...and i think i know the who the girl is...
can i move?
Posted by jen, leader of the hamster brigade  on  Fri Feb 15, 2008  at  10:16 AM
My brother's canines are really scary. His teeth are really straight, and almost look like they've been filed to be flat on the bottom...all but the canines. But he's really never had any work done, other than getting his cavities filled. One of my canines is scarily sharp looking, too. But like Robin, b/c of a previous dental issue the other is actually sort of roundish instead of pointed.
Posted by Maegan  in  Tampa, FL - USA  on  Fri Feb 15, 2008  at  01:48 PM
Mark sez:
"I believe anteaters don't have canine teeth."

True anteaters belong to the order edentata ("toothless animals"), and thus they have no teeth at all. The police would have been more correct if they had said, "NEARLY all mammals have canine teeth," or maybe, "All mammals with teeth have canine teeth." Now that I think about it, my grandfather didn't have canine teeth, either, unless you count the ones on his dentures.

... But can anyone prove the guy is NOT a vampire-werewolf hybrid? There's no lab test that I know of.
Posted by Big Gary  in  San ANTonio, Texas  on  Fri Feb 15, 2008  at  02:11 PM
Plenty of mammals don't have canine teeth. Platypuses, echidnas, anteaters, pangolins and baleen whales have no teeth at all. Many mammals with teeth lack canines: armadillos, sloths (the 'canines' are actually incisors), aardvarks, toothed whales, rabbits, many deer, and nearly all Bovidae (cows, sheep, goats, antelopes, etc...). For that matter, all rodents lack canines, and they account for approximately 40% of all known mammal species. Feel free to add any more families, as I've probably missed some.
Posted by a mammal  on  Sun Feb 17, 2008  at  09:09 PM
I take one of those back... I believe all deer posses lower canines that have been modified to serve as incisors. However, my point still stands: nearly half of all mammals lack canine teeth.
Posted by a mammal  on  Sun Feb 17, 2008  at  09:14 PM
As a lycanthrope, I'm distressed that someone would claim the condition, to gain unethical and illegal access to the unwary and unprotected. That's just wrong. I advise leaping upon the unsuspecting victim as they pass through a fog-enshrouded woodlot, ripping the jugular from their throat. That's always worked for me, and prevents hard feelings among co-workers, crime scene investigators, and poor deluded bastards who claim they have vampirism. Trust me
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Mon Feb 18, 2008  at  12:28 AM