Portable Ghost Detector
Status: Paraphenalia for the superstitious
image A Japanese company is selling a portable ghost detector that fits on a keychain. I can't really understand the machine-translated text, but it looks like the detector glows red in the presence of a ghost, and glows blue otherwise. It costs 2,079 Yen, which is about $18. Not too bad. Compare this to the ghost detectors sold by Abate Electronics which start at $93 (and they don't even fit on your keychain!). It goes without saying that I'm sure these things have been rigorously tested to conform to the highest scientific standards. (via OhGizmo)
Paranormal
Posted by The Curator on Fri Apr 28, 2006 Comments (16)
So, what are the odds that you'll never see it glow red?
Posted by Smerk  in  to mischief  on  Fri Apr 28, 2006  at  04:10 AM
Mine glows green....

Huh. I wonder what that means.
Posted by Dan  on  Fri Apr 28, 2006  at  04:33 AM
It means that you're being haunted by environmentalists, Dan. You should have obeyed the signs and not walked on the grass.

According to some traditions, aren't candle flames supposed to burn blue when ghosts are around?
Posted by Accipiter  on  Fri Apr 28, 2006  at  05:32 AM
I thought candles burning blue meant someone had farted.
Posted by David B.  on  Fri Apr 28, 2006  at  09:25 AM
yea...Japans in to all that ghost and superstetious stuff. all that scary move coming out of Japan ...yea lot of shrine and temples are there it could get really scary at night. maybe you need that to travle Japan...haha
Posted by KatsuDon  in  USA  on  Fri Apr 28, 2006  at  10:00 AM
At least this is cheap enough to play with. If I had the extra cash, I'd get one...just 'cuz.
Posted by Maegan  in  Tampa, FL - USA  on  Fri Apr 28, 2006  at  11:14 AM
I have a keychain flashlight I bought for 99 cents. It glows blue when no ghosts are around. I don't know if it glows red when ghosts are nearby-- that doesn't seem to have come up yet.
Posted by Big Gary  in  Cut and Shoot, Texas, USA  on  Fri Apr 28, 2006  at  06:01 PM
This just in, the Red Nosed Reindeer is actually a ghost hunter! That's right, the loveable leader of Santa's sleigh announced yesterday that he really is "the ultimate in ghost hunting animals." Santa refused to comment about a possible deal with Conspiracies Incorporated.

In other news, the same reindeer has also been diagnosed with a tumor.
Posted by Soldant  on  Sat Apr 29, 2006  at  04:56 AM
C'mon! I for one am absolutely certain that it works more or less as promised. Yep, if there is ever a ghost around it'll glow red!

In other news, the elephant repellant that I installed in my office continues to function quite well.
Posted by rkh  on  Sat Apr 29, 2006  at  10:22 AM
They have a picture of it glowing red on the site. Does that mean there was a ghost present when they took that picture?
Posted by Sakano  in  Ohio  on  Sat Apr 29, 2006  at  03:07 PM
What should I do if it turns red?
Does this detector come with a manual dealing with alert situation or does it just glow red?
Posted by t.kurione  in  France  on  Sat Apr 29, 2006  at  06:38 PM
You get your gun out and you shoot at everything around you.
Posted by Dan  on  Sat Apr 29, 2006  at  06:55 PM
You can't kill a ghost. It's already dead.
Posted by Big Gary  in  Happy, Texas, USA  on  Mon May 01, 2006  at  12:20 PM
If you got one, and it did start glowing red, wouldn't you be the tiniest bit freaked out? I mean, the cool, intellectual part of your brain would be saying 'yeah, it's just a trick', but the primitive, instinctual part of your brain would be screaming at you to run now!
Posted by Nona  in  London  on  Mon Mar 19, 2007  at  08:51 AM
If you can't feel the ghosts, can't talk to em, so you don't need it. Even if it really works.
Posted by Dmit  on  Sun Apr 27, 2008  at  08:48 PM
I dont get it..
how this thing works?
any idea guys?
Posted by frodo  in  australia  on  Mon Sep 15, 2008  at  07:10 AM
Commenting is not available in this channel entry.