The Sandpaper Test, 1960
Vilcabamba, the town of very old people, 1978
The Instant Color TV Hoax, 1962
war of the worlds
The night Martians invaded New Jersey, 1938
Taco Bells buys the Liberty Bell, 1996
Photos of Snouters
image A Japanese artist, whose name (I think) is Takiwa, has an amazing collection of photographs of Snouters up on his website. Snouters, of course, is the popular term for Rhinogrades. If you have no idea what these creatures are, you can read more about them on the page I have devoted to them here. (via Liquito)
Categories: Animals, Folklore/Tall Tales
Posted by The Curator on Mon Feb 14, 2005
paper mache.
Posted by thephrog  on  Mon Feb 14, 2005  at  04:20 AM
looks like either vinyl or PVC sculptures, or someone has access to a PC with Maya and too much free time in their hands.
Posted by RAMChYLD  on  Mon Feb 14, 2005  at  07:24 AM
You can see the wire that is wrapped around the snout for support. Not much effort was made to make these look real. The flaws are more obvious the more you blow the pics up. Cheap attempt at fabricating a decent hoax.
Posted by Christopher  in  Joplin, Missouri  on  Mon Feb 14, 2005  at  07:49 AM
Umm, did anyone notice this http://www.geocities.jp/dg_tokiwa/hana/nazo_01.html page? The person who took the pictures really isn't trying to hide the fact that they are not real...
Posted by Drunk Stepdad  on  Mon Feb 14, 2005  at  08:47 AM
I don't get it. I've never heard of "snouters" before. Are they supposed to be real?
Posted by Glamcat  on  Mon Feb 14, 2005  at  11:35 AM
No, they're not real. But a lot of biologists like to pretend that they are.
Posted by The Curator  in  San Diego  on  Mon Feb 14, 2005  at  11:47 AM
I need one of those for my front lawn...won't that scare the neighbourhood kids. snake
Posted by Winona  on  Mon Feb 14, 2005  at  12:30 PM
Does anybody actually believe that they are real or is it a total hoax?
Posted by Glamcat  on  Mon Feb 14, 2005  at  02:12 PM
Hey, where are the avatars?
Posted by Glamcat  on  Mon Feb 14, 2005  at  02:13 PM
The snouters got the avatars, doo dah, doo dah, the snouters got the avatars, o dee doo dah dey. Rhinograde all night, rhinograde all day, bet my money on the pvc, or the paper mache'. (hey)
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Mon Feb 14, 2005  at  07:43 PM
There never were avatars on the comments for my weblog. Though I'm thinking of changing that.
Posted by The Curator  in  San Diego  on  Mon Feb 14, 2005  at  08:39 PM
Oh, I guess I never noticed. cheese
Posted by Glamcat  on  Mon Feb 14, 2005  at  08:55 PM
hm..eerie looking kinda, yet interesting..the artist did a real good job
Posted by Jenny  in  wisconsin  on  Mon Feb 14, 2005  at  09:18 PM
I think they're kind of cute. But I can't load the page b/c of security issues. All previous photos I've looked at sort of make you wish you had a little aquarium full of 'em.
Posted by Maegan  in  Tampa, FL - USA  on  Wed Feb 16, 2005  at  02:33 PM