September Morn, the painting that shocked the censor, 1913
The Diaphote, a television hoax, 1880
The Case of the Vanishing Belly Button, 1964
The Instant Color TV Hoax, 1962
Jean Gauntt, the Immortal Baby, 1939
Prof. Wingard's Death Ray Hoax, 1876
Cat that walked 3000 miles to find its owners, 1951
Can a bar of soap between your sheets ease muscle cramps?
The Sandpaper Test, 1960
Pet Spa Video
Dave emailed us asking about this video that had been posted on youtube.

The video shows a 'pet spa' machine, used to automatically wash and dry pets, and a cat's reaction to it.

The person who submitted it to the site added to their posting:

A pet supply store offers a "pet spa". It has a device that will wash and dry your pet. After fighting with cats in the past. We decided to try it. The pet store told us that cats love it. As you can see he didn't like it. We stopped it ealry. He was much much cleaner but he did talk to us for a hour.

So, as to whether it's a real machine and a real video, I'd say yes. The CBS news website has run an article on the owner of one of the pet spa machines.
As for the video, some cats do freak out when in an enclosed space, or when water is sprayed on them. I suspect the cat was a little more nervous than those belonging to the satisfied customers.
Categories: Animals, Photos/Videos, Technology
Posted by Boo on Mon Jan 29, 2007
That's one furious cat!
Posted by Madmouse  in  Edinburgh  on  Mon Jan 29, 2007  at  07:10 PM
That's nothing.

This one is better:
Posted by Craig  on  Mon Jan 29, 2007  at  07:50 PM
Poor kitty. downer
Posted by Smerk  in  to mischief  on  Tue Jan 30, 2007  at  05:47 AM
Someone tell Disney that these people are stealing their plots...

Posted by David B.  on  Tue Jan 30, 2007  at  06:30 AM
I have no idea how long trauma stays with a cat but surely inducing trauma to "clean" an animal that already does a really thorough job cleaning itself is typical thoughtlessness. I am sure people smell a lot worse to cats than they do to us. People are of course complete control freaks ("I want that can cleaned with soap and water, NOW!") whereas cats are much more laid back.
Posted by Floormaster Squeeze  in  Spring Hill, MA  on  Tue Jan 30, 2007  at  12:28 PM
I can imagine, after being in there once, the emergency room visit that results from them trying to get the cat in there a second time.
Posted by Gee...  on  Tue Jan 30, 2007  at  12:29 PM
This one is even better than any of them. I haven't laughed like that in a long time:

Posted by Gee...  on  Tue Jan 30, 2007  at  12:31 PM
From the YouTube responses to that video:

"DanDierdorf:
Don't think anything of it, they look exactly the same if you hold them, wash them, and then get your arteries opened. They don't like getting washed. Period. No special reason to open yourself to being scratched, bitten, clawed or mawled. Too many peeps laught at humans and whine at animals."

I think that sums up the whole thing. If you want your pet cleaned, you either wash them by hand or by using a machine like that. Some pets won't like it either way. I know that I personally have a number of scars left over from cats that did *not* want to have their bath. If you can do the same thing without anyone (even the cat!) getting injured, why not?

Giving a cat a bath can be traumatic either way.
Posted by Dan  in  Lancaster, PA  on  Fri Feb 02, 2007  at  02:14 PM
The pet store near my house has one of these.
Thought about taking my dog.
Uhh.. no.
It's very cheap to use, but it looks terrifying
for the animal.
I love how they wrote "SPA" on it...
Posted by Sigh...  on  Sat Feb 03, 2007  at  12:42 PM
Whenever I've had to wash one of my cats (due to them getting cold bonfire ashes or mud in the fur) I've done it by hand in the kitchen sink. If my cat trusts me it is more reassured by my presence and my voice than if it is subjected to a "pet spa". After the initial wetting down, the cat generally quits fighting and lets me get on with washing it. I keep a firm grip on the scruff, have all the shampoo bottle opened beforehand and I've not sustained any serious wounds.
Posted by Sarah  in  England  on  Wed Feb 07, 2007  at  11:36 AM
the video's been removed... by DIsney!
Posted by Katey  on  Sat Feb 17, 2007  at  09:11 PM
Poor kitty? Give me a break! Traumatized for life? STFU!!! How is this cruel to cats or dogs that give owners war at necessary bathing times. And for those airheads who insist that cats don't need to be washed, please... go consult a veternarian. Cats lick themselves... including their asses. Which is a fecal matter bacterial sickness mess waiting to happen not only for the cat but for anyone that comes in contact with the cat. Oh, right... cat's saliva has magical qualities right? Cats need to be washed and bathed... this is a brilliant solution! Also for dogs that give you hell at bathing times.
Posted by Jon  on  Sat Sep 29, 2007  at  10:51 AM
@David B.

I guess Disney did take notice wink
Posted by DeadDodo  in  Netherlands  on  Fri Oct 30, 2009  at  11:55 AM
This is an animal cruelty ,I would put in the inventor and those who using this waterboarding-machine for an hour min.! shock
Posted by Joseph Dozi  in  San Jose, CA  on  Fri Jun 11, 2010  at  03:41 PM
What is wrong with people?? I've been grooming cats for years and let me tell you, they don't react like that when I bathe them. Of course, wouldn't you react badly if a giant robot came over to you and started spraying soapy water all over you while you were just chilling on a park bench?! Have your pets groomed by a professional, and you will never have to worry about getting "mauled". Oh, and Jon, STFU. You probably are enamored with the way Michael Vick treated his dogs, too.
Posted by Maggie  on  Sat Aug 14, 2010  at  04:44 PM