The Man-Eating Tree of Madagascar Hoax, 1874
Sober Sue, the woman who never smiled, 1907
The Hitler Diary Hoax, 1983
The Great Space Monkey Hoax, 1953
A black lion: real or fake?
Van Gogh's ear exhibited, 1935
The Gallery of Fake Viral Images
Female thieves hide money in their bras, 1950
The Cradle of the Deep, a literary hoax, 1929
Actress who claimed she was kidnapped by puritans, 1950
No food in the loo
If you ever visit Beijing, no longer will you be able to buy soft drinks and snacks while relieving yourself in a public toilet. Chinese authorities have put an end to this practice, stating that, "It is not proper to sell soft drinks or snacks right at the toilets."

Thanks to Big Gary for the link. I can only echo his comment: "What? They sell food in the toilets?"

It reminds me of a cartoon I once saw in Mad Magazine about businesses unlikely to succeed. It showed "Bob's hand-made sandwiches and urine analysis".
Categories: Gross
Posted by The Curator on Thu Aug 09, 2007
I made plenty of work trips to China in the 90s and never saw any food for sale in public toilets however I've never been to Beijing. One feature I do remember about the China's toilets is that the floor, walls and ceilings are all covered with ceramic tiles. This makes cleaning a lot simpler. Just bring in a big hose and spray the whole thing down. Even after that it still smelled pretty bad. I guess they just used straight water. A little disinfectant would do wonders.
Posted by Captain Al  in  Vancouver Island, Canada  on  Thu Aug 09, 2007  at  02:34 PM
Ewww, that's just wrong. Why on Earth would they ever have started that practise in the first place???
Posted by Nettie  in  Perth, Western Australia  on  Thu Aug 09, 2007  at  09:27 PM
I have never seen food for sale in any restrooms/loos in any city in PRC including Beijing...
Posted by MagicFaireDust  on  Fri Aug 10, 2007  at  03:58 AM
So that's why the Forbidden City Macdonalds closed down!
Posted by Nona  in  London  on  Fri Aug 10, 2007  at  12:47 PM
DO NOT buy the lemonade and brownies!!!
Posted by Craig  on  Fri Aug 10, 2007  at  04:10 PM
...no brownies or lemonade... I spewed my coffee over that comment!
Posted by Christopher  in  Joplin, Missouri  on  Fri Aug 10, 2007  at  06:21 PM
The Chinese government does a lot of things I disagree with, but when it says, "It is not proper to sell soft drinks or snacks right at the toilets," I think it's right on the mark.
Posted by Big Gary  in  Cut and Shoot, Texas  on  Fri Aug 10, 2007  at  08:04 PM
I can't help thinking of my high school's restroom, where someone was always writing on the wall, "Flush twice-- it's a long way to the cafeteria."
Posted by Big Gary  in  Cut and Shoot, Texas  on  Fri Aug 10, 2007  at  08:07 PM