Nigerian Bulldog Scam
image The latest in the long series of what are known as 'Nigerian Scams' is one featuring bulldog puppies.

Three red flags went up when Mindy Gorman enquired after a $500 bulldog advertised on the Savannah Morning News website. When she emailed the sellers, they replied with an announcement that the puppies had been sold, but:

"... You're lucky to have mailed at this time because the puppy has just been placed on adoption by one of my customers, who went on a veterinarian work transfer with the West African veterinarian commission Lagos Nigeria, West Africa. He is giving the pup up for adoption because he cant take good care of the pup due to his busy and tight state of work. All he wants is someone that's homely and with a good christian home to adopt this young and lovely human best friend."

Then there was the fact that the seller was in Nigeria. Thirdly, when she offered to pay to the transport of the puppy using Pay Pal, the seller, who identified himself as 'Pastor Harry', said that he would only accept a $500 payment sent to Lagos via Western Union.

Ms Gorman did not go through with the transaction, but another customer in the area lost $900 on the scam.

Jeff Thomas, with the Savannah office of the U.S. Secret Service, was unaware of the Nigerian puppy scam. But the details, including the offer of English bulldogs in a state where the biggest football mascot is the same breed, didn't surprise him.
"These folks are not dumb," he said. "They may do their homework in terms of regional interest. People here are nuts about Georgia football."
Thomas suggests puppy lovers approach any Nigerian offers with skepticism.

The website no longer runs the advertisement.
Categories: AnimalsCon Artists
Posted by Boo on Mon Oct 09, 2006
Hi there, just wanted to let you know that I was also scammed by these guys. I seen the ad in the Herald Sun newspaper in Melbourne and dealt with a guy named Pastor David Brooks and he was from the whole lagos Nigeria church thing also. Just beware of any ads for English bulldogs for sale and any email addresses like .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) or .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
I feel so stupid and really pissed off!
Andrea Rowe...
Posted by Andrea Rowe  in  Broome, Western Australia  on  Wed Dec 06, 2006  at  10:05 AM
This is what Helen Rowe (.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)) wrote when trying to scam me.

I am so sorry for the late reply.i have been out of town.
The puppy is still avilable for sell.Pictures will be emailed to you.

I am currently in Africa on a work transfer with the West Africa veterinarian commission Nigeria ,West Africa and i took the puppy along with me because there is nobody to take care of him back home.

I do want someone with love and open heart for pets to have my baby boy who is very affectionate towards children and other pets .
The puppy is with a Current vaccinations, vet exam,health certificate from a licensed vet and a written guarantee of health( 1yr). resently checked by a licensed Vet Doctor for heart, knees, skin, correct bite, and eyes.

Raised in a loving home not a Kennel,Housebroken and potty trained.
He should eat out of a pan which has a flat bottom and straight sides. use stainless steel because it lasts longer. Do not use plastic either for his food or water. he likes Nylabone and Gummabone toys but Never ever give him a rawhide toy.
And for grooming, Brush weekly and bathe as it needs also Keep his hair trimmed out of his ears and eyes.and his bedding material should range from straw or wood shavings,or beds of all types.

The most common is cotton rugs or blankets which can be washed with ease. Not much grooming is required, however a good combing.should be trimmed professionally and always make sure his ears must be checked and loose hairs must be removed from ear passages.

The earlier you start him training and consistent, the better, you can wait a while so his settled comfortably into his new home before you begin.He need not lots of exercise. Long walks, jogging, playing catch, or agility or skills trials keep it happy.l feed with Nutro's, Iam's, and Eukanuba.I can include a sample for you if you want.

These kibbles produces a nice coat, keeps the puppy round but not obese, and produces solid stools. But Do not feed him with a kibble which contains soyabeans.

Payment method is through (Western Union Money Transfer)

I will ship puppy using Delta Shipping Company.
The cost for the puppy adoption is $500 shipping included. This covers the flight cost, and roomy airline approved kennel. I will make all the arrangements, and let you know the details after the flight is booked. The puppy make it to its destination airport within 24 hours. All we need to know is which major airport you would like the puppy flown into.,The puppy will arrived safely to It new families. I would not consider air shipping if we did not feel it was very safe for the puppy.
If you are interested in taking him, Mail me your full name, address and the nearest airport where the puppy will be ship for delivery so i can forward it to my shipping company for them to confirm delivery which i know wint be a problem at all.
Thanks and God bless you,

Helen.
Posted by Heidi Beezley  in  Centralia, WA  on  Wed Dec 06, 2006  at  11:13 PM
That is how most of their emails start, they have all been moved to Africa for their job and can no longer provide care for their pup. Why on earth would they take them there in the first place? Why get all the way there, pay for the dog to be shipped there, pay for the vacinations, go through the 10 day quarantine and then post an add to have it shipped back to someone they don't know? Come on!
The other email is that they know someone but to try to make it legit, they want to hear what kind of person you are. How can people live with themselves knowing that they are scamming poor innocent people who only want to share their lives with man's best friend! JUST DRIVES ME NUTS!! I hope they catch all of them and give them what they deserve! NOTHING!!
Posted by Sheila Willis  in  Ontario  on  Thu Dec 07, 2006  at  02:14 AM
i found out just in time. mine was a Rev.Fitz Patrick.
(he said)
We had a very long service in the church and that is why i could not get back to you yesterday.I am ready for the shippment now and i have packaged all their kits.They will be delivered to your door and not your airport.The reason why i want the delivered to your door is to save you the stress of going to the airport for pick up.The are coming through the airline.Yes,the shippment will commence immediately after the confirmation of your payment and i will get back to you with the flight details for you to know the arrival time of the babies.I will be waiting to read from you immediately with the payment details so i can proceed with the shippment.Thank you very much and God bless you.
Rev.Fitz Patrick

okay, why would they come to my house.
ask alot of guestion, they don't like that.
they also call them babies! not puppys, keep that in mind.
Posted by cedar  in  missouri  on  Thu Dec 07, 2006  at  08:01 AM
Well I as well almost fell for it but I did my research and found this site, thank god I did, and thank you. What happened with me is I saw an ad in the local paper so I assumed that the person selling the dog is local, there was only an email address so I emailed them. I recieved an exact email like someone else had on this site, except the name of the seller is different. I haven't replied back to them and dont intend to, but I did call the newspaper with the ad and now there ad will no longer be advertised. Luckily I found this in time because they had just placed the ad yesterday and it was suppose to be placed for two weeks but not anymore. And thats how you fight back!
Posted by tina  on  Thu Dec 07, 2006  at  08:57 AM
Watch out for these scammers as well!!! They are coming from all directions now!

Mesage from George Michael
George Michael [george_michael@pobox.sk]
Mesage from George Michael

Goodday my dear,

In a brief introduction, my name is George Michael. My intention of contacting you is to have a discussion with you regarding an investment that I want to build in your country. Urgently confirm the receipt of this message with your direct telephone number to enable me call you immediately and furnish you with details.

I will be waiting for your reply as you finish reading this message.

Best Regards,

George Michael
Posted by Sheila  on  Thu Dec 07, 2006  at  03:19 PM
Hello all:) This is in response to all of you out there who were either ripped off or nearly ripped off by a Nigerian scam artist. This is a must read post.

WOW am I GLAD that God took me to this site before I was scammed by the notorious 'Helen Rowe'. I got the same exact email that an earlier poster (Heather) received!! ((You would think that they would have used their spell check feature. I don't think these scammers are as intelligent as we think they are since they cannot even spell!))

I had a bad feeling from the get go when my husband and I saw the ad in our local newspaper, but we have been wanting a bulldog puppy so badly that I guess we tried to give this person the benefit of the doubt. The ad stated that they needed someone for an immediate adoption of their sweet baby bulldog. They went on to say how they wanted a loving, caring person, how they don't want to part with it, etc. They said the total cost would be $500 only to cover the cost of shipping. It truly seemed genuine. The email address was .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

It took over a month for a response, but after a string of emails, phone conversations, and many, many red flags, we came across this site. We have come to the conclusion that there probably really is no Helen Rowe (only a fictitous entity), but a male Nigerian scam artist. We found it odd that we never had any conversations with Helen over the phone. The man (who coined himself 'Toby') spoke in extreme broken english and could barely be understood, thus my husband was the one who did the talking with 'Toby' over the phone.

We came very close to being ripped off by this man. We nearly agreed to picking him up at our local airport in two weeks, but the last call was very shady in that he insisted that we include an ADDITIONAL $200-$300 to cover the costs of new customs that were recently added the the Nigerian airports. Toby gave him a sob story of how he and his 'wife' (they don't have the same last name) are broke and cannot afford to cover the additional costs. That's when we refused to make the transaction. Toby immediately changed his tune and said that he would find a way to pay for the extras so as long as we send the $500 immediately the next day via Western Union. He insisted that it was imperative that we send the money right away. Mind you, in a prior email, they insisted that they didn't need the entire $500 upfront, but only half as a deposit because there was 'really no way to prove that we would want the puppy' in two weeks. Since this post long already, I am going to post the actual email with Toby's contact information in another post.

Read On!! . . .
Posted by Aurora  in  Pennsylvania  on  Fri Dec 08, 2006  at  08:08 PM
They don
Posted by Aurora  on  Fri Dec 08, 2006  at  08:13 PM
I would just like to say how glad I am that a post I wrote is helping people. I didn't know the scam was so widespread, but the more people who see this, and contact the media who post these adverts, the less influence these scammers will have.
-Flora.
Posted by Boo  in  The Land of the Haggii...  on  Fri Dec 08, 2006  at  10:00 PM
Boo, I doubt that this, or any other alert even in combination, will prevent these scams from working. The Nigerian bank transfer has been going on for how many decades? And it gets attention fairly often. Enough people won't get the message or believe it to keep these scammers going for a long time. When I spoke with the FBI about a scam email concerning winning an online lottery the special agent I spoke with told of a guy who wanted to know if he had to pay taxes on the money, even after the agent had explained (several times) that he wouldn't get any money.
Posted by Christopher Cole  in  Tucson, AZ  on  Sat Dec 09, 2006  at  01:59 PM
Oh, yes. I know that this won't stop (or even significantly slow) these scammers. I just meant that I'm glad some people who were about to go through with this transaction have found the site and realised the truth of it.
smile
Posted by Boo  in  The Land of the Haggii...  on  Sat Dec 09, 2006  at  04:41 PM
OK Boo, that's good. My experiences were always after a warning and I never fell for the scam. Fell for other scams when I was younger, but those were face-to-face and pre-internet.
Posted by Christopher Cole  in  Tucson, AZ  on  Sat Dec 09, 2006  at  04:46 PM
Question:
Does anyone know why ALL of these scammers are supposedly from Lagos, Nigeria??

Answer:
There was an article I read at one time about this. They're not only from Nigeria, but Cameroon and other West African nations. The people are poor, can't find reputable jobs. It's kind of set up like the mafia. There are these groups where someone's the head of the scam. They recruit very poor people to work under them, and whatever the poor people make, they give a percentage to the head guy. The Nigerian government has laws in place, but due to the amount of these scams that come out, it seems to me they're not enforcing them too hard, or the can't enforce them.
Posted by Carrie  in  Austin, TX  on  Mon Dec 18, 2006  at  04:02 PM
Hello, I also got scammed from patrica carney selling bulldogs she had sold to someone in nigeria "pastor mark christian", who got transferred to west africa for humanitarian work. We paid for the pups and then they decided that they were going to try to get more money from us saying that they needed more money for a crate to ship them in. We never sent the money but I emailed back patricia who referred them and have traced the emails and have come to the conclusion that they are the same person, all the different email addresses come from the same domain key signature. They are using different names and different emails and different sites Ive found them on "buysell.com" and "nextdaypets.com". Their emails are .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address), .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address), and .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address). I also have phone numbers for them supposed mark christain 807-643-0126 his shipping agent tony ohenhen 806-314-5983 the supposed custom agent gerry ? 806-877-4734, using the international code 011234 before the number, patricia carney has two different numbers and addresses 613-452-7837, and 251-776-6654 this number was with address mobile, al 36695 for bulldogs of timberridge.and also the name messi ? under patricia's name. Please let people know what these scam artists are doing and don't let them ruin anybody elses christmas.

thanks alot for your time,
tasha
Posted by tasha  in  Chatham,On  on  Tue Dec 19, 2006  at  12:24 AM
I just emailed all the email addresses I had and game them hell, literally. I told them that karma was coming back for them and since they used the christian word they would burn in hell, and I was telling the world. Oh ya and I told them that need to learn to spell, Im so mad, they got me for $800 and wanted another 500, patricia carney just emailed tonite saying she'd pay for 200 if I paid the 300 for a shipping crate. Do I sould stupid when I type or something them scammers need to be charged. what can we do?
Posted by tasha  in  Chatham,On  on  Tue Dec 19, 2006  at  01:22 AM
sorry, I meant sound stupid...hahah
Posted by tasha  in  Chatham,On  on  Tue Dec 19, 2006  at  01:25 AM
Tasha, the best we can do is get the word out. When I got the "your email address won the random selection lottery" emails, I kept them expecting a scam and turned them over to the FBI. The FBI can't do anything except warn people on their website (I never saw any warnings on their website when I checked later but I might have missed it) and can only take action if you get scammed. However, according to the Special Agent I spoke with, they rarely get the money back. People whould wonder about such emails, after all, why were you the one selected? The random email address winner bit was "too good to be true" but the dog selling doesn't fall in that catagory, it is just suspicious. However, regardless of how well the word gets out, someone will always fall for it.
Posted by Christopher Cole  in  Tucson, AZ  on  Tue Dec 19, 2006  at  01:11 PM
Christopher, so true about getting the word out. And, I have to say, this site has helped LOTS of people, as evidenced by the comments posted...including me. I ALMOST got scammed out of $900 myself (for 3 chihuahuas), but I saw this site, thank goodness, and then realized it was a scam! So, THANKS EVERYONE!!!
JoJo smile
Posted by JoJo  on  Tue Dec 19, 2006  at  01:50 PM
I think no I know I have been scamed! His name is Pastor James Jones. Sounds fimilar. I hope I can get this man back I have contacted Western Union and will be contacting the FBI. They need to really catch these people and throw them under the jail!!!! I was doing this for Christmas, I told him using the name of a Pastor is going to put you in a world of hurting if he is not true.
Deanna
Posted by Deanna  in  Rockford  on  Thu Dec 21, 2006  at  10:28 AM
Hi my names Mandi. And my husband was in the Marine Cor. And im dumb and sent this guy in Nigeria 300$ western union. He sent me pictures and everything of this white bulldog. Now he want 100$ for some kinda paper through customes. Well i found this online wish i woulda found it sooner so i knew and wouldnt have sent him ne money. And i requested from Pastor Deangelo a flight number and the air line the puppy was on and he couldnt provide it so i told him i wasnt sending NO MORE MONEY and i wanted my money back! Well i doubt if i ever see my money back. But thanks for this site. Just think id be outta 100$ more if it wasnt for this site.

Thanks
Posted by Mandi  in  Greensburg Pa  on  Fri Dec 22, 2006  at  02:13 PM
12/26/06: The Helen Rowe ad appeared in the Raleigh (NC) News and Observer a couple of weeks ago exactly as it appeared here except for one thing:
Neither the ad nor the email I received in response mentioned Nigeria specifically. If the TV show 60 Minutes hadn't done so many pieces on scams out of Nigeria, I don't think it would have occurred to me to check it out.
Information on this scam is not easy to get. We need to encourage search engines to show information about the scams in the first few results that appear when searching for "Puppies from Africa", "Bulldog puppies + Africa", "Helen Rowe", etc.
Posted by Still smiling  in  Raleigh, NC  on  Wed Dec 27, 2006  at  03:57 AM
Another scam that is making the rounds again, at least I just got another email on it after not getting one for almost two years now, is the "You won a lottery you never entered!" scam. The first time I got one I went along for a while since I entered so many lotteries on-line back then and saved all the emails. That one started in Africa, not Nigeria, and went all over the world with emails. I had to confirm to London, and a couple of other places but there was always a problem. Finally I was told that I needed to pay the Netherlands Non-Resident Tax (which does not exist). That was when I collected all the emails and went to the FBI. Since I hadn't paid anything, they could do nothing. If I had paid, they could try to prosecute but probably wouldn't get anywhere. At least, that was what the Special Agent told me.

This time the email is starting from Italy. At least I presume it is Italy since the email has the .it ending.
Posted by Christopher Cole  in  Tucson, AZ  on  Thu Dec 28, 2006  at  01:16 PM
There's a thread featuring the lottery scams going on in the forums here.
Posted by Boo  in  The Land of the Haggii...  on  Thu Dec 28, 2006  at  08:18 PM
My husband fell for this scam and sent $450.00 by wire to Nigeria. The initial call was from Julie bulldogfarm.com. The man that supposedly had the bulldog pup was pastor Collin Desmond.
Posted by Judith Young  in  Cleveland, Ohio 44113  on  Fri Jan 12, 2007  at  12:06 AM
I replied to an add over a bulldog puppy and a pug puppy free to good home, when the woman replied she said that she was currently in Lagos, Nigeria and that it would cost
Posted by Trisha Marles  in  Bristol, England  on  Sun Jan 14, 2007  at  08:25 AM
Trisha, yeah it's a scam. Africa may not have as much internet access as Europe or the Americas but the finanicial infrastructure is developed enough so that personal checks would work and I'm pretty sure PayPal works there also. Think about it, throughout this thread similar stories have been posted, there are only a few (and very minor) differences between what is happening to you and what has happened to others. Save your hundred pounds.
Posted by Christopher Cole  in  Tucson, AZ  on  Sun Jan 14, 2007  at  10:22 AM
Thanks christopher, after reading your response i sent an email to the person to say that if they were genuine then they would accept the payment methods i was offering, i am going to look for a reputable breeder
Posted by Trisha Marles  in  Bristol, England  on  Sun Jan 14, 2007  at  01:26 PM
You are welcome Trisha, glad I saved you the money.
Posted by Christopher Cole  in  Tucson, AZ  on  Sun Jan 14, 2007  at  10:41 PM
Trisha, I was almost out $900 (for 3 puppies) but this thread saved me, too! I was shocked to see the same wording and everything on the emails I had received as the ones shared here. I am VERY glad you didn't get your money scammed fom you. This thread has helped a LOT of people! So, thanks EVERYONE!!! wink
JoJo smile
Posted by JoJo  on  Mon Jan 15, 2007  at  12:15 AM
I have been looking at a few adds and i noticed that scammers always call the puppies their babies and they always say puppies for adoption instead of puppies for sale
Posted by Trisha Marles  in  Bristol, England  on  Mon Jan 15, 2007  at  05:15 AM
Comments: Page 3 of 14 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  Last ›
Commenting is not available in this channel entry.