Nigerian Bulldog Scam
image The latest in the long series of what are known as 'Nigerian Scams' is one featuring bulldog puppies.

Three red flags went up when Mindy Gorman enquired after a $500 bulldog advertised on the Savannah Morning News website. When she emailed the sellers, they replied with an announcement that the puppies had been sold, but:

"... You're lucky to have mailed at this time because the puppy has just been placed on adoption by one of my customers, who went on a veterinarian work transfer with the West African veterinarian commission Lagos Nigeria, West Africa. He is giving the pup up for adoption because he cant take good care of the pup due to his busy and tight state of work. All he wants is someone that's homely and with a good christian home to adopt this young and lovely human best friend."

Then there was the fact that the seller was in Nigeria. Thirdly, when she offered to pay to the transport of the puppy using Pay Pal, the seller, who identified himself as 'Pastor Harry', said that he would only accept a $500 payment sent to Lagos via Western Union.

Ms Gorman did not go through with the transaction, but another customer in the area lost $900 on the scam.

Jeff Thomas, with the Savannah office of the U.S. Secret Service, was unaware of the Nigerian puppy scam. But the details, including the offer of English bulldogs in a state where the biggest football mascot is the same breed, didn't surprise him.
"These folks are not dumb," he said. "They may do their homework in terms of regional interest. People here are nuts about Georgia football."
Thomas suggests puppy lovers approach any Nigerian offers with skepticism.

The website no longer runs the advertisement.
Categories: AnimalsCon Artists
Posted by Boo on Mon Oct 09, 2006
I am not sure if they are all the same person, or possibly a group of different individuals, but the emails are a LOT the same. I have to admit, after falling for it, it was REALLY hard to trust ANY PUPPY ad on the email, even legit breeders. We got a Coton De Tulear from Portland, and breathed a HUGE sigh of relief when it was at the Airport. (By the way, we got him from Brian Everett, website http://www.prideandjoypups.com...and I was REALLY impressed! He sells malteses, havanese, and cotons, for VERY reasonable prices.)
We were smarter this time, though, and we paid Money Order, took pictures (for proof), sent it "Certified" and "Expressed", so they would sign for it, etc. I doubt Brian had ANY IDEA how scared I was. It makes me mad that people doing these stupid scams scare potential buyers away from legitimate puppies being sold. Anyway, we have LOVED our little puppy! I am sold on the breed, and have NEVER had such a wonderful, loving, well behaved little pup! I am glad I dared to try again...just smarter this time, and NOT from Africa!!! smile
JoJo smile
Posted by JoJo  on  Thu Nov 02, 2006  at  06:03 PM
Sorry, I put "...and" after the website I typed in, so here it is without that.

(A lot of you on this site, though, are talking about Bulldogs. I don't know any good bulldog breeders, but I am sure there are many good ones out there. Just make sure they aren't a Reverend, or Pastor from Africa, eh? LOL wink
JoJo smile
Posted by JoJo  on  Thu Nov 02, 2006  at  06:08 PM
The puppy I got is the one pictured on the "About Us" page. SO cute! Named him Joey!
JoJo smile
Posted by JoJo  on  Thu Nov 02, 2006  at  06:12 PM
I just fell for this same scam. This same Pastor James just this week ripped me off $500 for an english bulldog puppy that I was going to get for my fiance for Christmas. Everything was exactly the same as all of these other stories. It even started off from another person and she said that she had just sold her puppies to a missionary and he was needing to sell them to a person that could spend more time with them than he could. He even called me to try to get more money out of me for customs, but I couldn't hardly understand a single word he was saying. I'm so upset right now and I feel so stupid that I didn't figure this scam out until it was too late, especially after reading all of these emails. I really shouldn't have spent that much money in the first place and now I don't know how I'm even going to be able to get my fiance anything for Christmas. Any help on what to do or who to contact?
Posted by Melani  in  Joplin, Mo  on  Thu Nov 02, 2006  at  11:53 PM
I work as a WU agent and a young lady came to me the other day to transfer
Posted by Quartus  in  UK  on  Sun Nov 05, 2006  at  02:59 PM
Oh my lands!
At least you tried to warn her!
I want to know the "Friend" that she claims received a puppy, because I haven't seen that happen YET!!!
JoJo smile
Posted by JoJo  on  Mon Nov 06, 2006  at  07:07 PM
Melani,
I don't know if you will get the money back that you spent on your fiance' for the bulldog, and I am SO sorry. Here is some contact information that you might be able to use. I hope it helps. Good luck! And, congratulations on your upcoming wedding! smile

Western Union (Fraud): 1-800-448-1492
Western Union (Regular Line): 1-800-325-6000
Attorney General (Mark Shurtleff): 1-801-538-9600
National Fraud Info Center: 1-800-876-7060
FBI: http://www.ic3.com

Sincerely,
JoJo smile
Posted by JoJo  on  Mon Nov 06, 2006  at  07:14 PM
Boy am I glad I found this site. I am talking to one of these losers right now. The email is: Helen Rowe [rowemisses@yahoo.com] as a warning to anyone else. Supposedly she lives in the U.S. but has been sent to Nigeria (SURPRISE) on a work transfer, as she says: " I am currently in Africa on a work transfer with the West Africa veterinarian commission Nigeria ,West Africa and i took the puppy along with me because there is nobody to take care of him back home." SHe wants $500 for an english bulldog that looks well enough bred to easily sell for $1,800. In her emails she also used the Christian appeal signing "God bless you" etc. She will ONLY accept Western Union and I thought that was suspicious as well. She gave me the information for her lawyer and asked that the money be sent there. I had a funny feeling about the whole thing and now I am glad that I did my research. I think it is very sad that there are people who would do things like this. I am going to confront her about the scam and I will probably never get a reply but at least she will know that people are wising up to crap like this.

Thanks again guys...you all just saved me $500.
Posted by MissL  in  Georgia, US  on  Fri Nov 10, 2006  at  02:53 PM
Miss L,
I am SO GLAD you did your research as well! $500 saved is $500 earned! (Hee - Hee wink)
Jo Jo smile
Posted by JoJo  on  Fri Nov 10, 2006  at  06:21 PM
Pastor williams almost got me!!!! i was going to send half of the money today. (we made a deal that i would send half before and after). He even told me not to rip him off!! anyways i also emailed petbreeder frist and she told me the same bs she tells everyone. I think they are the same person, cuz they always say advice at the end of there email!! its so annoying
Posted by Zach Humber  in  Los ANgeles  on  Mon Nov 20, 2006  at  07:07 PM
Becareful of anyone who wants to send you a dog overseas and it is at a cheap price. I researched a lot before I purchased my dog. I soon realized that you can not trust anyone. If you really want a pup or dog as your companion, make sure you get it from someone you know you can trust. I went and met the woman who breeds the type I ended up getting. I met the mother and father of the pups and saw where they lived. If the breeder you are dealing with breeds more then a couple litters of pups a season then you are not dealing with a true caring breeder. If you are looking to adopt a dog or a puppy please check out the link below. They are great people and care about where their pups go.

Posted by Sheila  in  Oshawa  on  Tue Nov 21, 2006  at  12:20 PM
I was almost "scammed"by one of these people. Let me tell you how good the LORD is... Something told me to google "bulldogs in nigeria" and this is when I came upon your website. My contact person was Jeremy Millsapp who put me in touch with one of his customers who had been shipped to Nigeria on "mission work". His name was Rev Daniel Jones, in his e-mails his english was awful. Do people not fear the LORD anymore?? How common is it to use the LORDS name in a SCAM???
Posted by JJ Sampson  in  Rowland, NC  on  Tue Nov 21, 2006  at  02:55 PM
The 'Nigerian scams' (or '419 scams') very often mention religion to try to sound more reputable.
Posted by Boo  in  The Land of the Haggii...  on  Tue Nov 21, 2006  at  03:56 PM
JJ,
Yeah, that is what we have been discussing alot, that they always are "Christians" doing "missionary" work. It upsets me, too. I had the same experience (on page 1.) The Lord guided me as well. Of all things, I did a google on "Nutri-calthay" (Because they said they would send that with the puppy, and I wanted to know what it was.), and this site came up. Mine was for Chihuahuas, but other than that, the emails were pretty much identical to the ones listed here - and the English terrible! They will be held accountable for what they are doing. Even worse! I saw a special the other day, where a lady was doing the SAME thing with ADOPTION! She was emailing several different ladies, and getting money from them to help with her expenses. They were all excited for a brand new little baby...decorating rooms, buying clothes, etc. And, the lady wasn't even PREGNANT! All the women (and many of thier husbands) were VERY emotional talking about it, as you can imagine. I am in the same situation, not able to have children, and I would've been SO HURT! God knows all, and he will hold those who are knowingly sinning accountable for their actions. I am glad you were guided, and didn't waste your money!
Sincerely,
JoJo smile
Posted by JoJo  on  Tue Nov 21, 2006  at  06:24 PM
Hello, I too, responded to an ad and this is the response that I got from the person:

The puppy is with a Current vaccinations, vet exam,health certificate from a licensed vet and a written guarantee of health( 1yr). resently checked by a licensed Vet Doctor for heart, knees, skin, correct bite, and eyes.All these you will see in his pictures which are current ok.

Registration-AKC Registered (Certificate Available for view)
Health-100% ok de-wormed (+1 year health Guarantee)
Shot: 1st shots, and vaccinated.
Breed-English Bulldog
weight: 15-16lbs
Age-11weeks
Coat: Short and smooth
Colors: Brown/White
Life Expectancy: 8 - 10 years.
Raised in a loving home not a Kennel,Housebroken and potty trained.
He should eat out of a pan which has a flat bottom and straight sides. use stainless steel because it lasts longer. Do not use plastic either for his food or water. he likes Nylabone and Gummabone toys but Never ever give him a rawhide toy.
And for grooming, Brush weekly and bathe as it needs also Keep his hair trimmed out of his ears and eyes.and his bedding material should range from straw or wood shavings,or beds of all types.

Payment method is through (Western Union Money Transfer)

I will ship puppy using Delta Shipping Company.
The cost for the puppy adoption is $500 shipping included. This covers the flight cost, and roomy airline approved kennel. I will make all the arrangements, and let you know the details after the flight is booked. The puppy make it to its destination airport within 24 hours. All we need to know is which major airport you would like the puppy flown into.,The puppy will arrived safely to It new families. I would not consider air shipping if we did not feel it was very safe for the puppy.
If you are interested in taking him, Mail me your full name, address and the nearest airport where the puppy will be ship for delivery so i can forward it to my shipping company for them to confirm delivery which i know wint be a problem at all.
Thanks and God bless you,

Helen.

JUST IN CASE THIS IS NEEDED - THE EMAIL ADDRESS THAT GAVE ME THIS REPONSE WAS "rowemisses@yahoo.com" AND IT IS A SCAM!!!

We have a male bulldog already and went through a great Canadian Breeder so this was a red flag for me as I have done a tonnne of research on breeders!

Heather
Posted by Heather  in  Halifax, NS  on  Wed Nov 22, 2006  at  01:43 PM
Wow! What I noticed is they are really starting to improve their ENGLISH skills...Look Out! wink
JoJo smile
Posted by JoJo  on  Wed Nov 22, 2006  at  01:49 PM
the exact same thing happened to me... I just found this page... I was on my way tomorrow to western union the money.

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) is the email he used with me.
Posted by ashley  in  arkansas  on  Thu Nov 23, 2006  at  06:45 PM
I also almost fell for this shit. This is what happened... I was looking to buy a bulldog, came across an ad, emailed the girl known as Kelly Bright (.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address))- she QUICKLY emailed me back with this email:

Hello,

Thanks for your interest in my Lovely baby,My pet babies have been all adopted by one "Rev. Morris" from queens,NewYork hopefully i will behaving a new litter by January next year,but i can refer you to one of my customer that just got posted to west africa by his CHURCH here in united state"Rev. Morris" he asked me to put the adorable bulldog baby he got from me before he was posted for adoption.The english bulldog is now 3 months old and is akc registered,you will be responsible for the puppy shipping fee to you only. Send him an email immediately to him concerning adopting the puppy,tell him the breeder he asked to put the baby bulldog out for adoption refered you to him,already the lovely baby is already with him.Send to "Rev. Morris" and his email address "morrislarson@saintly.com" i think this could be the best way to get him direct. Remember to contact me as soon as you get the puppy.

Regards

So....I emailed "Rev. Morris" asking about his puppy. He replied saying:

Hello John,

The puppy is still very much available and she is here with me in africa,because i was posted to west africa countries by the united state christain organisation for (Worldwide Missionary Outreach) to preach for the world. I want you to know that am not happy to give my lovely english bulldog puppy, but i have to do these because of the weather here is harsh,am not only selling her but giving it out for someone that will take good care of the puppy for me.

If you know that you are interested in adopting the puppy, send me your name,your delivery address,phone number including nearest airport and morealso i will shipping her through Express Pets Delivery on next day delivery which i use in bringing her down here on next day delivery. Exactly why i am giving the puppy to you for free,you will be responsible for her shippment to you,which is 400usd shipping and other travelling document to avoid any delay at then airport.

Below is the web site of the mission church i am at present. (http://www.themaninthesynagogue.org / www.uscj.org / http://www.synagoguevisits.co.uk ). You can email me right away if there is any other thing you will like.

You can reach me on +2348064353701 or 0092348064353701.

May God bless you..................

Rev. Morris

It definitly looks suspicious- he didn't mention the picture, just getting the money and WESTERN UNION. What a little shit! Using some crazy Church based thing to get you to try and believe them. Blah! Well I sent him an email back with this webpage's link and basically called him a bunch of names and stuff. I also emailed Ms. Kelly Bright and called her a dumb bitch and that karma is a bitch. Oh well. Don't be fooled, guys.
Posted by John  in  Boston, MA  on  Fri Nov 24, 2006  at  01:53 PM
What is up with them using the descriptive word "lovely" for all the dogs? "lovely" and "babies", are used in most ALL of the emails they send. I'm sorry, but I think calling a bulldog "Lovely"...isn't that like an INSULT or something? wink
JoJo smile
Posted by JoJo  on  Fri Nov 24, 2006  at  03:43 PM
This scam is still up and going. We saw an add in the Brantford Expositer(Ontario, Canada) saying the same thing. 2 Bulldog puppies for sale, we replied and the puppies were gone, but customer moved to Africa and wants to sell to good christian home. Contact was "Pastor Frank Johnson" from Lagos, Nigeria. We are still having fun with him by making him believe we actually trust him. Anybody wanting to have some fun and flood his yahoo address, it is .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Have fun!
Posted by Boyle Family  in  Brantford, ON, Canada  on  Sun Nov 26, 2006  at  04:26 PM
Safety Notice

Before you jump on the 'screw with the scammers' bandwagon, you should be aware that such activity is potentially very dangerous. These people take their money very seriously, and you face possible reprisals from people engaged in such activities.

Check out http://WWW.419eater.com for information an baiting the scammers, and how to protect yourself.
Posted by Charybdis  in  Hell  on  Mon Nov 27, 2006  at  10:43 AM
I agree. Make sure you are educated about "scam baiting". I have been to that site (http://www.419eater.com)and it is VERY educational.
(It is also interesting to note the LOCATION that warning came from - I thought that people from THERE would be more on the scammers' side - Hee, hee wink)
JoJo smile
Posted by JoJo  on  Mon Nov 27, 2006  at  08:23 PM
SO i got scammed, 700$ from that hellen rowe person, im an idiot, im on the phone with western union froud number, ugh.
i cant belive this, and i dont know what to do, if anyone can tell me anything PLEASE email me.

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
Posted by Gary  in  VA  on  Mon Nov 27, 2006  at  10:02 PM
my friend seen the ad in the ardmore oklahoma paper and she was really excited until she seen and heard about the whole scam... she was telling me about the via charge, i dont understand about that because he is charging her $235.00 just to ship it to her. the bulldog pictures that he sent her are the EXACT same as on the internet... this is bullsh*t on how this guy just is using you for your money... now i dont know if it is true, but i would really like to know... contact her at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

sincerely
concerned friend
Posted by justin miller  in  us  on  Tue Nov 28, 2006  at  01:36 PM
Gary, I am SO sorry about your $700. I am glad you called Western Union Fraud. Were they able to help you. I just don't understand, with all our modern technology and stuff, why we can't find and STOP these people! (Maybe,the modern technology is WHY we can't stop them!) I would think that with how long this has been going, there would be SOME agency, that could stop it, but I don't know much about it. Again, I am sorry!
JoJo smile
Posted by JoJo  in  Good Old USA  on  Tue Nov 28, 2006  at  02:35 PM
Thank God I googled this thing - "Pastor Williams", the SAME GUY, is waiting for my response to buy TWO GOLDEN RETRIEVER PUPPIES - word for word. I came to this person through the AKC website - Burbank Kennel Club - JULIET SCOTT .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address). Are police involved in this scam??
Posted by Lisa  in  Burbank, CA  on  Tue Nov 28, 2006  at  06:17 PM
Wow! You might want to let the AKC Site know that scammers are using their site!...
JoJo:)
Posted by JoJo  on  Tue Nov 28, 2006  at  07:28 PM
Just found this, and thought I would pass it along. They are also scamming people for money for orphanages that don't exist. I quoted one of Rev. William Thompson's last paragraphs. I found it comical that he encourages you to email the FBI to make sure it's not a scam...then HE gives the email address - I am SURE that is their email...Yeah, right!!!

Using orphanages for fraud
By LEKAN OLABULO

Many Nigerians are now using this method to defraud their victims abroad. With some tone of religiosity and appeal to pity, they use the plight of orphans and motherless babies to demand for money abroad.

Last week, we reported how a fraudster used the name of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) to appeal for money from people abroad. Knowing fully well that the association is well respected all over the world, he went ahead to claim that the association had set up an orphanage and that many of the kids at the home were dying daily.

This week, we also stumbled on a letter sent by a Nigerian
Posted by JoJo  on  Tue Nov 28, 2006  at  07:43 PM
WOW!! I just got sent a email from Africa for a bully dog....I can't believe shes ripping people off!!! she made an ad for 2 dogs and then says there gone but you can get a pup from wheverever!!
This breaks my heart that people do this!!
Posted by melissa  in  winnipeg  on  Fri Dec 01, 2006  at  03:47 PM
Lokk out for a .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) and a Reverend Daniel Pepple in Africa .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) they just got $300 from my friend for a bulldog female named Dolly
Posted by Jackie  in  Redding Ca  on  Mon Dec 04, 2006  at  03:43 PM
Comments: Page 2 of 14 pages  < 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›
Commenting is not available in this channel entry.